News   Jul 15, 2024
 21     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

VIA Rail

As far as Amtrak goes, we'll see what happens. Anderson (the new CEO) is making a lot of enemies, so I'm not sure if the DMU proposal will go down as planned. They certainly could use them on some of their routes, but the concept of DMUs replacing many of the locomotive hauled trains doesn't make as much sense to me.

Except that the DMU idea far predates his installation as the president of Amtrak. He just happens to be the first one to muse about it publicly.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They might also be useful for providing more frequent services to places like Sarnia that are outside of the existing corridor (by the way what ever happened with the RDC tests on that route?).

Via couldnt negotiate more track time with CN within what was affordable.

This is the problem with cancelling service on privately owned railroads.

There is no guarantee you will ever be able to get that service back.

Its a single track to Sarnia and one that connects with the border of the USA for international trade.

CN decided they would rather use it for freight.

There is space in the ROW to Sarnia where a second track once ran / could be laid, but it would involve investment to return to functionality. Not likely CN is interested in doing that, otherwise they wouldn't have removed it in the first place.

It's a fairly straight shot with minimal grade changes.

This.

I have always been curious why we don't see more cooperation between VIA and the provinces, like you do between Amtrak and the States.

What sort of specifics would you like to see?

Personally, I believe that Canada has too many entities under provincial remit (i.e. healthcare, which should have been nationalized from the outset), and VIA as one of our rare national entities should avoid entanglement in provincial policy as much as possible, particularly that which could compromise the Toronto-Montreal corridor. That link is a potential economic boon that has been wasted for long enough.

We've not been able to create a simple VIA Rail Act in 40 years. I don't think we are going to successfully amend the 1867 Constitution Act!
Actually, we're nearly there (re: healthcare). There were rumours that didn't come to pass in last year that Federal Health Minister Petitpas would be given a mandate to force Québec to comply with the portability act, and that, secondly, provinces would submit claims directly to the federal government for out-of-province patients, replacing the agreement to bill at the visitor's provincial rate. You can probably see where this is going, as provincial health services would end up finding themselves agreeing on rates and covered services with other provinces. I think that Canadians will ultimately force the provincial hand on this one, as fewer of us stay put and more, like myself who travel between provinces for work, are seeing how inefficient and broken our healthcare system is. We will see how Pharmacare plays out, but there's no chance in hell that the feds are going to allow provinces to pick and choose covered meds, which would completely destroy the negotiating power of the purchasing bloc.

So yeah, let's keep provincial politics away from VIA with a 10 metre stick - it's its best chance to remain competitive.

Is there any plan to replace VIA's long haul passenger cars? The stainless steel sided cars look nice enough, but they must be wearing out.

Meanwhile, the old LRC cars must be near their use by date. I took VIA to Montreal in November and I swear these were the same seats I had in the early 1990s. I assume this announcement covers these short trip trains http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...w/view/via-rail-fleet-replacement-funded.html

But what about the long haul stock?

Is there any plan to replace VIA's long haul passenger cars? The stainless steel sided cars look nice enough, but they must be wearing out.

Meanwhile, the old LRC cars must be near their use by date. I took VIA to Montreal in November and I swear these were the same seats I had in the early 1990s. I assume this announcement covers these short trip trains http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...w/view/via-rail-fleet-replacement-funded.html

But what about the long haul stock?
so far nothing except for rebuilds as announced earlier this month. tbh im rather disappointed my self that they decided to continue with the SS rather than take the opportunity for a clean fresh start.

Except that the DMU idea far predates his installation as the president of Amtrak. He just happens to be the first one to muse about it publicly.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Was suggested for Vermonter, for sure. Downeaster would be an application I could think of - isolated from the rest of the network, has to reverse at Portland anyway.

Could be an opportunity for Nippon Sharyo, assuming that they aren't on the naughty step with Bombardier after the fiasco of the midwest bilevel order.

Something like the relationship between Amtrak and the State of California would work for Ontario and Quebec.

It's odd really. The provinces don't care at all about long haul transportation. And the feds do a piss poor job with VIA. Yet, following the Amtrak model, VIA could be a great operator and service delivery agent with provincial funding.

Something like the relationship between Amtrak and the State of California would work for Ontario and Quebec.

It's odd really. The provinces don't care at all about long haul transportation. And the feds do a piss poor job with VIA. Yet, following the Amtrak model, VIA could be a great operator and service delivery agent with provincial funding.
Amtrak model? Have we reached the point where Amtrak is an aspirational goal for VIA.

Toronto to Montreal isn’t really long haul passenger transport. I can get in my car right now and be in Montreal in six hours. Toronto to Winnipeg, now that’s long haul. And that’s why we have airlines.

Amtrak model? Have we reached the point where Amtrak is an aspirational goal for VIA.

Yes. Amtrak actually serves a larger chunk of the US with regular services, than VIA serves Canada.

Toronto to Montreal isn’t really long haul

"long haul" is a relative term. In aviation, 6-12 hrs of flight time is long haul. For a train, I'd argue anything more than 300km would be long haul. Unless there's some definition railroads use that I'm not aware of.

Toronto to Montreal isn’t really long haul passenger transport. I can get in my car right now and be in Montreal in six hours. Toronto to Winnipeg, now that’s long haul. And that’s why we have airlines.

Name me a major city that is not served by Amtrak?
Name me a major city that is not served by a daily Amtrak?

Shall we do the same with Canada and Via?

Name me a major city that is not served by Amtrak
I’m not your mother, look it up yourself. Here’s a map to get you started.

1280px-Amtrak_System_Map.svg.png

Back