News   Jul 15, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 527     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

VIA Rail

The VIA procurement is large enough to have political implications in the USA. Communities like Elmira, Hornell, and even San Francisco will care about landing an order of this size. I’m sure it will be dangled productively by our NAFTA negotiators. But the concern that the one predictable Canadian product may not have the mojo to do this job, and already has a sense of entitlement about the order, is also material. This message is for them.

Do you really think Trump cares about industries in which the Republicans have no shot of winning? They aren't getting Electoral College votes for the Presidency or Senators from those states. And at best, they have one safe Republican Congressional/House seat in New York, with the 23rd district covering all Hornell and Elmira.

I stand by my previous assertion, a US$1.2 billion that will not repeat again for 30 years, is really not much of a driver in trade talks between countries that do billions in trade daily.

Because the US just knows SO MUCH about building high speed trains. Lol...

This is like saying that Canada knows nothing about building high speed trains. Yet, Bombardier has substantial experience and intellectual property on the subject.

Countries don't build stuff. Companies do. Governments are just financiers. So it really does not matter if a country has no experience on the subject.

Last edited:
This is like saying that Canada knows nothing about building high speed trains. Yet, Bombardier has substantial experience and intellectual property on the subject.

Fair point. But it sure was an eye roll moment when I read that statement then first time.

Do you really think Trump cares about industries in which the Republicans have no shot of winning? They aren't getting Electoral College votes for the Presidency or Senators from those states. And at best, they have one safe Republican Congressional/House seat in New York, with the 23rd district covering all Hornell and Elmira.

I stand by my previous assertion, a US$1.2 billion that will not repeat again for 30 years, is really not much of a driver in trade talks between countries that do billions in trade daily.

If our NAFTA negotiators don’t have a long list of real projects for which the US could lose opportunity, which they wave (and leak) at the right moments, they aren’t doing their job. Sure VIA is only one line item in that, but I bet it’s there.

I’m not sure Trump notices anything in particular, but he does use things symbollically, as do all politicians. (Like announcing steel tariffs with a row of smelter workers standing behind him.) And, if and when he announces a deal, he will need things to point to that prove he “won” and got the best of his adversaries. Those items don’t have to be objectively compelling, and seldom are, they just need to be good theatre. Again, VIA will be on the list as a possible “win”.

Lastly, there is still a democratic process trying to function under all the hubris. Even a few Democratic Congresspeople and Senators do carry weight in Washington somehow. The grass roots matter.

The VIA contract is not a radar screen item in the same way that North Korean nukes are, sure.... but Canada will be positioning it to advantage. You use what you have.

- Paul

The VIA contract is not a radar screen item in the same way that North Korean nukes are, sure.... but Canada will be positioning it to advantage. You use what you have.
And in Canada being the mouse to the elephant, you have to use every opportunity, but especially the larger ones, as *indicators* of how the political and trade consequences will manifest.

Just as important is showing trade allies, those who are 'good for their word' that in the face of broken agreements elsewhere, a common front is formed of like minded and actioned traders, like the EU with CETA, and ostensibly Pacific Rim nations.

Is there a cost in doing so? Inevitably, but there's a much larger one in not doing so. So far, our trade team is appearing to be one of the most adept in the world. The Brits, for instance, are poaching Cdn talent, albeit the UK's trade raison d'etre is not attractive to many Canadians approached for employment (Paul Martin was previously purloined before the Brexit breakshit). For all the present Libs are doing wrong, somethings they are doing very right, and the trade file is one of them.

I think it would be impossible that VIA's acquisition isn't being eyed to 'carry a message' of sorts, but any possibility of interference being watched closely so as not to intervene without an eventual positive outcome best for all.

Remember, this isn't coming out of VIA's budget, they don't have one! This is an 'open priced acquisition'. And a perfect instance for the present regime to attach a rider to it.

Last edited:
Latest on the status of revitalizing the rail line to Churchill. Full article here.

"It's got to be shovels in the ground by April. That's the target we're working towards," said Spence, conceding it's a complicated deal with a rapidly approaching deadline.

If our NAFTA negotiators don’t have a long list of real projects for which the US could lose opportunity, which they wave (and leak) at the right moments, they aren’t doing their job. Sure VIA is only one line item in that, but I bet it’s there.

Sure, but that's for negotiators to pitch. Politicians don't care about potential projects. There's no photo op in, "VIA might give you guys this order."

And we're probably at least a year away from contract award. NAFTA negotiations will be getting wrapped up before then.

Thanks!

I don't see any new details on HFR. Is there something that should be standing out?
You are right, the document might be more detailed on the justification and background of these two projects than on actual details, but I personally like the data highlighting the revenue and ridership impact of frequency increases (pp. 41-43 for VIA and Annex 2 for Amtrak) or of changes in on-time performance (Annex 5)...

You are right, the document might be more detailed on the justification and background of these two projects than on actual details, but I personally like the data highlighting the revenue and ridership impact of frequency increases (pp. 41-43 for VIA and Annex 2 for Amtrak) or of changes in on-time performance (Annex 5)...

First of all, TY for posting that. Your info and insights are always appreciated!

Second, the thing that caught my eye most was the discussion of buying the North Main Line from London to KW.

Here's hoping that happens. It would be a very useful acquisition for VIA.

VIA seems to be exploring many of the right ideas, its just getting them to funded/implemented that's the not so small problem.

VIA Rail remains convinced that, in working with CDPQ, VIA Rail’s access to Central Station within the initial launch plan of the REM project will be maintained, or at least protect a future deployment of HFR on that infrastructure. If this is not possible, the Corporation anticipates that its services will terminate, in the fullness of time, outside of downtown.
Hmm...

I saw this posted by Transport Action:

New Long-distance equipment for via / new long-distance trains for via.
Minister garneau says there will be funding for some new long-distance passenger equipment (in addition to already new corridor fleet) for via rail Canada, according to radio Canada new TV. / minister garneau would have announced the financing of new rolling stock for via rail, according to src tv. This equipment would be in addition to trains for the central corridor already announced.

A link to the interview was not posted.

I saw this posted by Transport Action:

A link to the interview was not posted.
Imo they should discontinue the Canadian and ocean as regular long haul routes. They should instead use them for seasonal tourist routes only and introduce more regional routes. Rarely does a person travel from a to b as a commuter so it would make no sense to continue using it primarily for that purpose. A plus for regional routes is that it will improve on reliability and on time performance as the snowball effect of delays will be far less

Imo they should discontinue the Canadian and ocean as regular long haul routes. They should instead use them for seasonal tourist routes only and introduce more regional routes. Rarely does a person travel from a to b as a commuter so it would make no sense to continue using it primarily for that purpose. A plus for regional routes is that it will improve on reliability and on time performance as the snowball effect of delays will be far less

I am of the complete opposite thought.

I feel they should make those routes daily, both directions.

I feel also that the route in ON needs to be changed to go through SSM and Thunder Bay.

They should also add a route that goes through Calgary and Regina between Winnipeg and Vancouver.

I am of the complete opposite thought.

I feel they should make those routes daily, both directions.

I feel also that the route in ON needs to be changed to go through SSM and Thunder Bay.

They should also add a route that goes through Calgary and Regina between Winnipeg and Vancouver.

I'm a big believer in keeping the the Canadian and Ocean, and a believer that restoring these frequencies to 6 days a week.

As urbanites, it is easy to say "fund only the profitable routes", but we forget that lots of people, specifically Aboriginal communities, use the Canadian (and Ocean) to access services in smaller regional hubs. I had first hand experience with this while riding the Canadian as part of a 28-day canoe trip. The majority of riders seemed to be using it for utilitarian purposes. I also believe that ending the Canadian would be a failure in nation-building, as it was steel ribbons that tied our nation together.

Glad to see talk of a new long-haul fleet, or at least replacing part of it. I'd assume the dome cars would stay, as well as recently upgraded long-haul sleepers.

Back