News   Jul 15, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 504     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

VIA Rail

^That page cites an awfully high number of Ren cars. There aren’t that many Ren sets in corridor service.

I would guesstimate that the actual corridor fleet is 97 LRC + 33 HEP2 + 10 HEP1 + 30 Ren

If this order is meant to replace the Ocean equipment as well as the corridor, then 160 cars won’t do because the car types will differ - some of the order will be sleepers/diners vs coaches. Assuming 20 cars for the Ocean, that leaves only 140 coaches for the Corridor.

- Paul

Obviously, the current procurement will have to be diesel powered and if HFR happens, then they might need to buy electric locos, but that would be a small ticket item in the scope of the overall HFR procurement.

If Metrolinx finds electrification of Lake Shore to be too expensive (and they seem to prefer no-electric options at this point), VIA doesn't have much of a choice because they're certainly not going to find funding for the conversion.

But hopefully, professionals like Johannes are fighting the good fight at VIA to get the government to fund a real renewal. I don't envy their jobs.
I appreciate your consideration and rest assured that it's an equally challenging and rewarding job: it's an exciting time to be a part of VIA's vision and a huge privilege to simultaneously work for our passengers and this country's taxpayers... :)

Reactions: BMO
If Metrolinx finds electrification of Lake Shore to be too expensive (and they seem to prefer no-electric options at this point), VIA doesn't have much of a choice because they're certainly not going to find funding for the conversion.

VIA has included electrification in its HFR fact sheets. If the HFR route is indeed the Peterboro line, and ML declines to electrify, VIA only needs to string wires from Cherry Street to Union and perhaps from Union to the TMC at Mimico. The bit through Union would be expensive.... but perhaps only a couple of tracks would be electrified.

- Paul

VIA has included electrification in its HFR fact sheets. If the HFR route is indeed the Peterboro line, and ML declines to electrify, VIA only needs to string wires from Cherry Street to Union and perhaps from Union to the TMC at Mimico. The bit through Union would be expensive.... but perhaps only a couple of tracks would be electrified.

- Paul

We don't even know if HFR is on the table. Electrification is a stretch. Even in VIA's graphic, it's an option. The only way an electric fleet was ever going to be feasible was if they knew for certain that they were going to go ahead with an electrified HFR corridor while GO was going to go ahead with and electrified Lakeshore and Stouffville line. So I think using EMUs can be ruled out.

The only question is whether they get hybrid locos to let them access the Mount Royal Tunnel. And as we've all seen in lots of discussion here, that's an improbability. So Paul's right. Get a more conventional setup like Brightline and they'll be able to save VIA's corridor services from total collapse.

As for something "world class", without HFR, VIA won't be close to providing a competitive travel time, so my personal hope is that they actually hire a design team and service advisorsy who can deliver a top notch interior and revamp some of their offboard services. VIA One could use a real upgrade. The lounges are crap compared to airport lounges. The on-board catering is average....at best. It's disappointing, considering that they don't have to deal with the taste issues of altitude. And there's no differentiation compared to economy class on the hard product. Same legroom. Same seat. I guess the curtains count as differentiation.

Economy class, however, has a big advantage over air travel: leg room and luggage allowance. That's about where the advantages end. Ugly interiors. The toilets look like hospital loos. The lighting is glaring. And with no seatback entertainment, I don't know what they have to do to improve Wifi, but they need to make that more of a priority. 5 hrs is a long time to entertain a kid (or even myself) on unreliable wifi.

Last edited:
If the renewed fleet made a clean sweep of LRCs, HEP2s and Corridor Rens, presumably few spare cars of each type/subtype would be required to meet maintenance and repair needs. I just wish I could believe anything like the sort of $ will be forthcoming

Economy class, however, has a big advantage over air travel: leg room and luggage allowance. That's about where the advantages end. Ugly interiors. The toilets look like hospital loos. The lighting is glaring. And with no seatback entertainment, I don't know what they have to do to improve Wifi, but they need to make that more of a priority. 5 hrs is a long time to entertain a kid (or even myself) on unreliable wifi.

Norway has “Family Car” class with a play area for kids.

I hope VIA abandons its airline style “Sit down and stay in your seat” mentality. One of the big advantages of train over airplane is the ability to get up and walk around. Sure, keep the food trolley going, but cafe counters are pleasant.

And yeah, that sliding door on the loo has never let me down, but I have never trusted it to stay closed.

- Paul

I hope VIA abandons its airline style “Sit down and stay in your seat” mentality. One of the big advantages of train over airplane is the ability to get up and walk around. Sure, keep the food trolley going, but cafe counters are pleasant.

And yeah, that sliding door on the loo has never let me down, but I have never trusted it to stay closed.

- Paul
Speaking of washrooms....Japan doesn't disappoint:

https://www.japan-guide.com/g3/2018_toilet.jpg

Presumably the burned-out remains of the tarpaulined VIA unit have finally been removed. I swear there was something still sitting there into the 1990s.

The VIA Turbo units were scrapped shortly after being removed from service, by the summer of 1983. They were scrapped by Napporano Metals in New Jersey - the same outfit that scrapped the Amtrak units. There were certainly no burnt out Turbos in Canada by the 1990s, although they may have used the space to store other damaged equipment.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

.....One of the big advantages of train over airplane is the ability to get up and walk around. ...

I like the Acela setup:

Reg coach - reg coach - Cafe car - reg coach - first class

I wish VIA would adopt that setup for Corridor services. A cafe car would give some room to move it entertain kids. A better bar could let them sell better food.

I hope VIA abandons its airline style “Sit down and stay in your seat” mentality.

I actually like that VIA does assigned seating. But they need some kind of flexibility. Would let them monetize seat assignment.

On some trains I've been on (elsewhere), they have indicators above the seats to tell you if the seat is reserved or open. You can pay to reserve. Or you can buy an open ticket and take any open seat. This would allow VIA to use seat selection as a perk and/or charge for it.

I like the Acela setup:

Reg coach - reg coach - Cafe car - reg coach - first class

I wish VIA would adopt that setup for Corridor services. A cafe car would give some room to move it entertain kids. A better bar could let them sell better food.

I actually like that VIA does assigned seating. But they need some kind of flexibility. Would let them monetize seat assignment.

On some trains I've been on (elsewhere), they have indicators above the seats to tell you if the seat is reserved or open. You can pay to reserve. Or you can buy an open ticket and take any open seat. This would allow VIA to use seat selection as a perk and/or charge for it.

They don't have some sort of cafe car? Even the defunct Northlander had one.

They don't have some sort of cafe car? Even the defunct Northlander had one.

No cafe car on Corridor. Instead, the attendant roams with a service cart. I think they'd do better with a cafe car, if HFR happens. In a 2-3 hr ride, it's very impractical for the attendant to cover the whole the train more than once.

Hadn't seen this posted yet, my apologies if it has been:

Monsef tells Peterborough County council she's on board for rail service improvements

Key section:

She said she's been pushing the federal government to consider approving a proposal from Via Rail to start a passenger service between Toronto and Quebec City with a stop in Peterborough; she's spoken to Transportation Minister Marc Garneau about it several times already.

"I continue to advocate for it... I'm in the minister's face on a regular basis," she said.

Monsef also said she recognizes the importance of increased freight service between Peterborough and Toronto since it would help industries such as Unimin Mines and Quaker bring their products to market.

"On both those fronts (passenger rail and freight service), rest assured that I'll continue to be an advocate," Monsef said.

Budget is up and here.

Column labels: 2017-2018 to 2022-2023, and then the total.

So, $0, 3, 3, 2, 0, 0 = 8 total. In millions for "Modernizing".

However, note this language for "Renewing": "Funding amounts are not being released due to an upcoming procurement".

2CLJrz9

Back