News   Sep 04, 2024
 504     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 373     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 401     0 

VIA Rail

It seems we are backwards here at times. What is wrong with Air Canada joining the bid? Why must there be some ulterior motive? Aren't airlines partnering with high speed trains all the time in Europe and no one bats an eye to it.
Because we don’t want to allow one airline to dictate which of its competitors may leverage HFR at which conditions and which ones don’t? (Especially given that they are already the dominant player here)

An airline collaborating with a railroad in a codeshare agreement increases competition, whereas an airline co-owning a railroad has the opposite effect.

Last edited:
Sorry to beat the dead horse. How did they deliver the code?
It was a few months back, I didn’t pay that much attention to the details. They spoke to each passenger individually, verifying their ticket info, and to get the credit, you had to call VIA … I think he had to give the date and train number. So not a code per se I guess but information on how to get the credit. He did call and did get the credit for his next trip so whatever they told him to say worked.

The difference between a passenger and a train crew is that the train crew have a mode of communication with Via Rail that allows them to know what the status of the situation is. In other words, the crew would know when food, water, alternative transportation or another train is on its way. The passengers do not know this.

This is the one time @Urban Sky is wrong.

And when they know that food and water isn’t coming even after they begged and pleaded?

I’m curious how many people on this forum believe that they are perfect have never, ever made a bad decision that they later regretted?

Because we don’t want to allow one airline to dictate which of its competitors may leverage HFR at which conditions and which ones don’t? (Especially given that they are already the dominant player here)

An airline collaborating with a railroad in a codeshare agreement increases competition, whereas an airline co-owning a railroad has the opposite effect.

Exactly! Air Canada has a codeshare agreement with SNCF, which increases their penetration into France. Air Canada co-owning HxR, gives them the opportunity to block other airlines from having that same opportunity in Canada.

How bad do you find winter delays to be? Consider taking it out west but the schedule doesn't leave much of a buffer for getting home on time
I don't find them all that different than delays at other times of year. If anything, there have been a lot of days where depending on the weather i'm more than happy to sit on the train than slide around on the 401.

And when they know that food and water isn’t coming even after they begged and pleaded?

I’m curious how many people on this forum believe that they are perfect have never, ever made a bad decision that they later regretted?
So, what would I do if I were on it?
It was in cell phone range. So, I would be alternating between calling the Via customer service line and 911. I would use my annoying personality as an advantage. "Please stop calling 911,this is not an emergency"
"Not until we are off this train"
"If you don't stop,we will send a police to arrest you"
"Please do."

In all seriousness, I would not be lashing out at the train crew. They are doing the best they can.

There's a lot to read on several pages here. Can someone save me a min and tell me what was wrong with the train anyway, and is it something that’s being addressed on the fleet?
Refer to the second part of my post below (not sure about that “13:35” reference, as I believe that must have been a lot later):
Just to share two comments from Groups.io, the first one from @TerryJohnson:

I’m sure there will be a comparison of what was promised after the December 22 fiasco and what happened here.

I’ve said this before: Stuff happens. A good crew can keep everyone mostly happy until the toilets overflow. Then all bets are off. The contingency plan must be calibrated to ensure that relief equipment arrives or passengers are detrained before that happens.

That there wasn’t a mutiny is really quite surprising. Amtrak has a load of people detrain themselves and go wandering around on live track in a similar situation on the Wolverine.

Having a contingency plan that works requires the one thing VIA hasn’t got though, which is adequate funding to do things like keep relief locomotives and crews around.

I hope there is also a deep dive on why equipment keeps leaving MMC with problems, or being held for last-minute maintenance that really should have been caught the night before.

Terry Johnson
Chatham, Ontario

The second comment:

The dead Siemens TS10, originally broke down at Fortier due to air line issues, was temporarily fixed by CN yardmaster from Joffre and released to continue with 15 mph restriction, then it broke down again at Laurier-Station, engine couldn’t be started with air line issues and blocking mainline at Laurier-Station. VIA 24 was expected to push dead 622 to Quebec City but that didn’t work out at all.

VIA sent out rescue crew on 308 at 12 am in the morning, made to Laurier-Station, coupled on to the dead set and headed west towards MMC, stranded at Saint-Eugène as CN closed tracks due to earthquake, that crew ran out of hours, another crew was called to take over and finally get back on move at 13:35.

I have a hard time identifying how any of these four (!) separate and subsequent issues could have been anticipated or avoided…

Edit: you may also want to have a look at this excellent analysis of the GPS tracking data by @reaperexpress:

Last edited:
It was near Laurier Station? A short walk to an A&W, and a grocery store? And only a 30-minute cab-ride to downtown Quebec City? I don't think there's a station there any more - but doesn't the road parallel the track for many miles?

Isn't that single-tracked? So where's the safety concerns of getting out of the train?

The more I hear, the more questions I have. You'd think the train was in the middle of a remote forest from the reports.

It was near Laurier Station? A short walk to an A&W, and a grocery store? And only a 30-minute cab-ride to downtown Quebec City? I don't think there's a station there any more - but doesn't the road parallel the track for many miles?

Isn't that single-tracked? So where's the safety concerns of getting out of the train?

The more I hear, the more questions I have. You'd think the train was in the middle of a remote forest from the reports.
Check the documentation provided by @reaperexpress : the train stopped at multiple locations throughout the day and the answers to your questions will vary wildly between these locations…

As for your suggestion about getting cabs: you would first have to get a cab from wherever they are (certainly not in Laurier-Station!) to the train and then you’d absolutely need police (and quite a few officers!) to ensure order and safety when there are about 50 exasperated and desperate passengers for each available seat in the cab. Oh, and good luck telling dozens of angry passengers why they are not amongst the lucky ones to board the taxi which has just arrived to pick up passengers…

Last edited:
That all sounds as bad as the VIA excuses that screwed their passengers over. They chose to do sweet frig all. There were options. Including busing - you'd only need 4 or 5 buses for that many. Or did the incompetent fools at VIA cancel their standing bus contracts for emergencies?

I'm surprised they didn't need police (what are there no police in Quebec) to deal with the passengers going out the emergency windows, to pee. After 8 hours, that would have been happening on a GO train. But perhaps you need snakes on the train for that to happen. :)

Back