News   Jul 25, 2024
 203     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 401     0 

VIA Rail

Presumably FECI made sure contracts were in place to ensure appropriate contracts were in place to ensure Brightline’s priority when FECR was sold. Something it appears as if the Canadian government didn’t ensure when they sold CN (or asked CP if they could take over their passenger rail services).
I suspect you're right and they made sure to secure agreements before the companies separated.

It would definitely be a much bigger challenge with CN which has been separate from the government for decades already, but it does at least demonstrate that it is theoretically possible for a freight railway and a passenger train operating company to come to a mutually beneficial agreement if they can somehow be convinced to think collaboratively.

Was it billions? I’m only aware of the one project since the privatization of CN, to triple track a small portion of the Kingston Sub, which has allowed an historic number of trains between Toronto and Ottawa (the “glory days” only had a couple trains a day).
That project was a billion dollars on its own, and from what I've heard, Via or the Feds pay CN to maintain the Kingston Subdivision at a 95mph standard rather than the lower speeds they'd design for if left to their own devices. I figure that 40 years of those payments is not a small sum.

There has been no timetable established for commissioning of the trains, nor a budget, given that there is still so much be determined, Imbleau and Hampshire said. Hampshire said the best guess he could offer was that passengers would be riding HSR sometime in the 2030s.

“Can passenger railways be profitable? Yes, they can,” said Hampshire, citing examples. “We’ve got a project objective that the revenues must cover the operating costs, and preferably the long-run renewals costs.”

They all do that. Chretien and the "Cadillac helicopters'; Ford and green energy projects, basic income pilot.

They all do that for 1-2 policies. This whole "burn it all down" routine is a new trend on the right that has taken off post-Trump. Expecting these guys to act just like Harper is naive at best.

Their ideology aside, there's simply no real political cost at all to cancelling. Would they even lose a single seat specifically because of cancelling HFR?

Cancelling HFR is hardly a burn-it-all down policy (and no, I don't think there'd be any kickback).

Nothing new here. In 1984, when Mulroney took over, they killed the Liberals HSR plans. Provincially when Ford took over, he killed the Liberals HSR to London plans. When Harris took over, he killed Rae's TTC subway plans. When the NDP took over in 1990, they reversed the GO Transit expansion that had been done under Peterson (ironically to be later rolled back by Harris).

And it's not just partisan. When Premier Miller took over from Davis in 1984 - both Conservatives, first thing he did was kill Davis's GO's subway-like ALRT plan from Oshawa to Oakville. When Paul Martin took over from Jean Chretien, he quickly killed VIAFast, which would have reduced the Montreal to Toronto rail time to 3.5 hour via Ottawa (Toronto to Ottawa in 135 minutes), along with some new alignments from Kingston to Ottawa.

The burn-it-all done is a more recent twist - though one we haven't seen as much of in Canada - yet.

Cancelling HFR is hardly a burn-it-all down policy (and no, I don't think there'd be any kickback).

Nothing new here. In 1984, when Mulroney took over, they killed the Liberals HSR plans. Provincially when Ford took over, he killed the Liberals HSR to London plans. When Harris took over, he killed Rae's TTC subway plans. When the NDP took over in 1990, they reversed the GO Transit expansion that had been done under Peterson (ironically to be later rolled back by Harris).

And it's not just partisan. When Premier Miller took over from Davis in 1984 - both Conservatives, first thing he did was kill Davis's GO's subway-like ALRT plan from Oshawa to Oakville. When Paul Martin took over from Jean Chretien, he quickly killed VIAFast, which would have reduced the Montreal to Toronto rail time to 3.5 hour via Ottawa (Toronto to Ottawa in 135 minutes), along with some new alignments from Kingston to Ottawa.

The burn-it-all done is a more recent twist - though one we haven't seen as much of in Canada - yet.
All the examples you cite would have involved massive financial commitments by the taxpayers, cancelling them was thus consistent with fiscal conservatism (and at least in the case of Wynne’s HSR “proposal”, there never was any sincerity of the outgoing government to actually follow through). If the business case of HxR is as good as most of us here seem to believe, then at least the HFR variant should be possible to build with minimal taxpayer money, thus removing most of the motivation for a conservative government to kill it…

All the examples you cite would have involved massive financial commitments by the taxpayers, cancelling them was thus consistent with fiscal conservatism (and at least in the case of Wynne’s HSR “proposal”, there never was any sincerity of the outgoing government to actually follow through). If the business case of HxR is as good as most of us here seem to believe, then at least the HFR variant should be possible to build with minimal taxpayer money, thus removing most of the motivation for a conservative government to kill it…

You are assuming they care more about the fiscal impact than retribution. And yet, look at the campaign on the carbon tax which doesn't cost the federal government much and is not much of a net cost to the taxpayer overall. They will undo it because they are culturally allergic to action on climate change and because it's another low cost Trudeau policy they can reverse. Bonus. They can talk about how this plan was meant only for city dwellers and how they will serve all Canadians or whatever other cynical message they come up with.

We'll see what they do. But right now the best case scenario is that they allow the co-development phase to proceed. Beyond that? All bets are off. They can simply shelve the report. They can refuse to provide even a dollar of public financing (even if loans). They can give a study contract to one of the many Hyperloop grifters like the Government of Alberta did.

You are assuming they care more about the fiscal impact than retribution. And yet, look at the campaign on the carbon tax which doesn't cost the federal government much and is not much of a net cost to the taxpayer overall. They will undo it because they are culturally allergic to action on climate change and because it's another low cost Trudeau policy they can reverse. Bonus. They can talk about how this plan was meant only for city dwellers and how they will serve all Canadians or whatever other cynical message they come up with.
Both, in the case of Wynne’s HSR election stunt and the Carbon Tax now, these policies were/are highly controversial amongst the Conservative’s core constituents and the Conservative’s campaign was/is very transparent about their intentions post-election-victory. Has PP publicly said anything critical about VIA (or HxR) since 2012, when VIA’s fiscal credibility was orders of magnitudes worse than today?

Last edited:
Okay... but what does that have to do with this discussion? Nobody here is claiming that Brightline was built without government expenditure.

We are debating whether it is possible for a passenger train operating company to make an arrangement with a freight railway that enables them to reliably operate over their tracks.
My point was made as there are quite a few people who seem to continually hold up Brightline as some sort of panacea to what ills VIA. That it can be done by the private sector there, so it can be done here too.

I'm simply pointing out that Brightline is not nearly as "private" as they think.

Dan

My point was made as there are quite a few people who seem to continually hold up Brightline as some sort of panacea to what ills VIA. That it can be done by the private sector there, so it can be done here too.

I'm simply pointing out that Brightline is not nearly as "private" as they think.

Dan
Are those people in the room with us now?

Are those people in the room with us now?
I believe you both agree that the Brightline model depended on very specific and extraordinary circumstances which are simply not realistically reproduceable anywhere on this side of the border. Similarly, I don’t think that the nuances between your positions warrant getting personal here…

Back