News   Jul 26, 2024
 851     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

VIA Rail: New Funding

Ah, deficits... 407 anyone?

but the 407 makes money....meaning that there are future profits to present value to reach a price.

Last I heard (and it was a long time ago).....VIA loses money, needs an annual subsidy so what would you pv to produce a purchase price?

but the 407 makes money....meaning that there are future profits to present value to reach a price.

Last I heard (and it was a long time ago).....VIA loses money, needs an annual subsidy so what would you pv to produce a purchase price?

I mean it in a "we're going to regret it later" kind of paradigm.

If you are going to treat it as a business then we need to do the 407 math for the governments side. Including payments on the $50B to $75B loan they would have taken out for land acquisition. No company lets capital funds sit around like that; not even CN or CP Rail whom Via is making payments to for use of their rails (I.e. Via is indirectly making these types of loan payments).

Ontario government would need on the order of $7B revenue from Highway 407 to reach a reasonable IRR. I can assure you the consortium who currently runs it only makes a profit because the Ontario Government took an enormous hit.

From a business standpoint, if it was IBMs project, IBM would be bankrupt right now and the shareholders would probably have a case for a class action against management.

Of course, we both know better and realize the indirect income (business, property, sales, and income taxes) are far higher for infrastructure than direct income has ever been.

Makes me wonder what the city could get if it sold off the land Gardiner is on but left Lake Shore. Could we build 4 new east-west subway lines, each with a carrying capacity several times that of Gardiner?

At least we're lucky there was no CCRAP majority in the last election.

We're also lucky CCRAP brought that constitutional crisis of last December on itself, making the majority parties vigilant over those proposals.

But hey, the government will have to *pay* to get rid of Via Rail given its current state.

Wow. Just look at that article! They were looking for crown corporations that specifically were NOT self sustaining, and wanting to privatize them. That's the stupidest thing I've heard all year! I am generally anti-privatization, especially of essential services such as post, transportation, etc, but this is especially ludicrous. And what does the Conservative party have against the CBC. They just seem to be waging a war against them. First the CBC lose the rights to broadcast the Olympics to CTV, then the Hockey Night in Canada theme song.
*sigh

Anyway, I always laugh when I see people write CCRAP (Conservative Canadian Reform Alliance Party). So true!

Really, they need to stop and think. Will this decision have a negative impact down the road? They just seem to put forward these ideas that are so mindless, it amazes me.

I'm hearing rumblings on CPTDB that VIA Rail has purchased a set of like-new Budd RDCs for use on the Toronto - Kitchener - London - Sarnia routes. They will run in trains of three cars - two RDCs with a coach in the middle and VIA has acquired enough for 4 trainsets. There's supposed to be an announcement later this year for more departures.

Hurray for adaptive re-use?

We all know it won't happen in a minority government. This is just being fed to the media because it's the only way the Conservative party can portray any kind of conservatism these days.

All the loony stuff we read these days is just to bring wedge issues into the spotlight as this helps with political fundrasing.

I'm hearing rumblings on CPTDB that VIA Rail has purchased a set of like-new Budd RDCs for use on the Toronto - Kitchener - London - Sarnia routes. They will run in trains of three cars - two RDCs with a coach in the middle and VIA has acquired enough for 4 trainsets. There's supposed to be an announcement later this year for more departures.
Interesting. I'd think that this would strictly be on the Toronto-Kitchener section of the line.

Wow these things are hedious:
small-drm1.png

If true, this is fantastic news and long overdue.

Back