166     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 279     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Vaughan sings its virtues again.

M

miketoronto

From the Toronto Star. Seems Vaughan is at it again.
The only place that should be allowed to market, is Toronto as the central part of this region. Suburbs should not be allowed do market themselves. Let Toronto do it, and if a company decides on a certain suburb after that, then fine.
--------------------

Vaughan sings its virtues again
New ad just as saucy as last one
Campaign payoff has been huge
Mar. 16, 2006. 01:00 AM
GAIL SWAINSON
STAFF REPORTER

Vaughan, whose "City Above Toronto" ad campaign helped lure dozens of businesses to the municipality while angering many GTA politicians, is at it again with a cheeky new radio jingle touting low taxes and "high lifestyle."

The ubiquitous "City Above Toronto" slogan, first aired in 1992, is still used as a tag line in all of Vaughan's radio ad campaigns.

"We wanted to attract attention to the city of Vaughan and it works," Mayor Michael Di Biase said.

Frank Miele, Vaughan's economic and technology commissioner, said the brash ads have, at least in part, been responsible for luring a number of businesses to the city of 240,000.

"Many, many companies that have moved here said they heard the ads and then decided to give us a look," he said in an interview.

Despite grumbling, the campaign was never intended to steal business from Toronto, just keep it somewhere in Greater Toronto, Miele said.

Still, the earlier radio spots painted Toronto as a city mired in red tape, with high industrial and commercial taxes — currently 40 per cent more than Vaughan's — and even higher-priced land.

All this enraged many GTA politicians, who demanded the ads, which they labelled shameless self-promotion, be canned.

Former North York Mayor Mel Lastman groused that one of the radio spots gave Vaughan credit as the site of Pioneer Village.

"That's only partially true," Lastman said in a 1995 interview. "They have the part where the horses go to take a leak."

The ongoing radio ad campaign, which costs the city about $70,000 a year, has resulted in "a return to the city of millions of dollars in tax revenue," Miele said.

The latest ad, a 60-second spot called "Da Vinci Code," opens with a man recounting the book's plot line to a female friend in a restaurant.

He says: "All this stuff happens and they end up at the Louvre in the City of Vaughan."

The woman's voice reminds the man the Louvre is located in Paris and he responds "Oh. I'm sorry. I get all my great cities mixed up."

At that point, singers chime in with the "City Above Toronto, the City of Vaughan" slogan.

An announcer then intones "Vaughan, a great city with low taxes and high lifestyle."

The new ad was created in-house by Miele's economic development department, the same crew that wrote the saucy "City Above Toronto" slogan.

The only place that should be allowed to market, is Toronto as the central part of this region. Suburbs should not be allowed do market themselves. Let Toronto do it, and if a company decides on a certain suburb after that, then fine.

Forgot to take your pills this morning?

Edit: might as well add something constructive.

The fact remains that Vaughan is a sprawled, far-out suburb, and it really only competes against other suburbs. If a company looks at setting up shop in downtown Toronto, they are not going to change their mind over a silly promotional like this.

boiler2000, most other regions in the world market the entire metro region as one. Thats the normal thing to do. And in this case Toronto would be the one doing it.

You don't see Australian suburbs marketing against each other. The entire metro region works as one and markets as one.

This allowing our suburbs to do what they want, is the downfall of Toronto right now, because we are causing our own suburbs and city to compete against each other. And its going to lead to American style city suburb relations.

Mike, a company needs to have reasons to set up in a central area where real estate, office space, taxes, etc, are going to be more expensive. Reasons may include accessibility, status, ability to attract employees, proximity to business partners, etc.

If a company has made that decision, advertisements of cheap offices out in the fields of Vaughan are not going to make a difference. Where they *might* make a difference is for a company that is looking to set up in a cheap, suburban locale, which may then choose Vaughan over Markham or Mississauga.

In any case, BANNING certain people from SAYING certain things isn't the way to go about solving problems most of the time.

boiler2000 this region should be marketed as one. Not by each suburb doing their own thing.

You don't see Markham doing ads like that, against Toronto or other suburbs. You don't see Pickering doing that. You don't see Brampton doing that.

If its any suburb that needs to be merged in with Toronto just to shut it up, its Vaughan :)

Vaughan has always caused regional problems. Its time it was told to stop it.

According to a court order they are not even suppose to be using the CITY ABOVE TORONTO slogan anymore. But they still do.

You don't see Australian suburbs marketing against each other.
I see you have never spent a significant amount of time in a major Australian city before. Local markets, including burb versus burb and neighbourhood versus neighbourhood in Sydney compete with eachother all the time. The big difference is perspective based on location. You don't see it because you are not local.

Same here.

He says: "All this stuff happens and they end up at the Louvre in the City of Vaughan."

The woman's voice reminds the man the Louvre is located in Paris and he responds "Oh. I'm sorry. I get all my great cities mixed up."
Is this a cue to laugh hysterically or cry?

An announcer then intones "Vaughan, a great city with low taxes and high lifestyle."

It reminds me of the slogan from the former city of Nepean in Ottawa, which was "We Are Debt Free." Along with Vaughan's self-important exclamations, it is nothing more than a testament to a lack of content and imagination.

No one goes to Vaughan to get excited.

Didn't Nepean have a Vaughanesque jingle? I believe it was "Nepean, Nepean, no better place to be in!"

^ If you replace "be in" with "pee in", it rhymes better. :evil

"Oh. I'm sorry. I get all my great cities mixed up."
I just heard it on the radio. The dialogue was so bad I was looking forward to hearing the jingle.

To me it seems that bringing up museums and Paris in a commercial for Vaughan isn't very smart. It only highlights the stark contrast between what a city is and Vaughan: a non-place.

Has anyone been to Vaughan lately? It's attracting nothing but bottom of the barrel industry. I'm not referring to the actual companies themself, but moreso the sector and land use they represent. Why would downtown Toronto in particular be interested in attracting light manufacturing? Should a business which needs to have a warehouse attached to the offices really locate on King St?

It's actually in the best interest of Toronto for the types of businesses Vaughan is attracting to locate north of Steeles. Let Vaughan deal with fewer taxable businesses per square km and thousands of trucks per day. I'm a little surprised that Vaughan isn't targetting places like Brampton and Markham, because as others have said, those are its biggest competitors. You can blame that on the overall stupidity which is rampant at Vaughan City Hall. Besides, we all know how people tend to react to negative ad campaigns.

Back