News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

Vaughan Mills shuttle

Who would pay $30 for a T-shirt? I'm not being sold here.

It's your choice not to travel to Vaughan Mills, just as it's your choice not to spend $30 on a T-shirt. But other people--good, honest, hardworking people--happen to like the place.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the best reason to go there: Holt Renfrew Last Call (there is definitely not one at the Eaton Centre). Picked up a lovely tattersall Prada shirt for 75% off on my last visit.

Same stores?????????? Vaughan has a Tommy Hilfiger Outlet store which is the biggest in the World. Bass Outlet store for sporting equipment is huge, Children's Place they also have a large Winners and a great Golf shop which sells loads of quality T-shirts at a large discount. To give you an example I bought a Calloway T-shirt reduced from 60 dollars to 30 dollars, about £15 sterling. I couldn't buy it here for 60 pounds sterling. Believe me I know I live very near St. Andrews in Fife the home of Scottish golf. There are loads of many other shops that are not in the Eaton Centre.

Don't forget the NASCAR store if you have deep pockets.

It's your choice not to travel to Vaughan Mills, just as it's your choice not to spend $30 on a T-shirt. But other people--good, honest, hardworking people--happen to like the place.
Perhaps ... but it looks like it is in the middle of nowhere. I really find it hard to believe that (outside of the sports fishing world maybe) that I can't find the same products at the same or cheaper price in Toronto, rather than off yonder somewhere.

You don't realise how cheap Canada is to shop compared with Britain.
Being British I'm fully aware. I'm also fully aware that the price differences are nowhere near what they used to be, now that the pound has fallen so much.

At the same time, other stuff is cheaper there. Air fare for example. You can fly across Europe for a pittance. I was looking at prices recently to fly just to Vancouver to visit family, off-peak, in November (I was looking in September), and I've flown to the UK for less money. There was nothing under $500. At the moment there is nothing under $700. And I thought about going after Christmas instead, before the Olympics mess things up ... but it's even worse.

Last edited:
^ middle of no where is a bit of a relative term.

not sure where you live/work/hang out......but I presume it is far from VM......but I can assure you it is not exactly a lonely mall sitting in the middle of a farmers field!

......but I can assure you it is not exactly a lonely mall sitting in the middle of a farmers field!
The Google Airphoto does show a farmer's field to the west, across the highway, and streetview shows lots of vacant land around the mall. It was certainly all farmer's fields recently.

I'm sure it's a fine place if you out that ways. But I can't imagine it being a destination for those who are in the city proper.

And structure wise, it looks quite dull compared to other recent suburban malls such as the Don Mills Centre at Don Mills/Lawrence.

The Google Airphoto does show a farmer's field to the west, across the highway, and streetview shows lots of vacant land around the mall. It was certainly all farmer's fields recently.

I'm sure it's a fine place if you out that ways. But I can't imagine it being a destination for those who are in the city proper.

And structure wise, it looks quite dull compared to other recent suburban malls such as the Don Mills Centre at Don Mills/Lawrence.

I can assure you it is one of the busiest/hectic areas of suburbia (in terms of built up malls and traffic congestion)....not saying that is a positive but I think we have to dispell the "it is far from Yonge/dundas therefore middle of nowhere" kinda idea......it is not everyone's cup of tea....but no place is everyone's cup of tea.

As for the design, it is a very traditional "race track" mall design but with the twist that the mall itself is broken into "neighbourhoods" so each area has a different feel to it. The biggest change to the traditional race track is that the food court is in the middle alowing for a cutover/cross over so you can skip parts of the track.

I guess why someone might travel a fair distance to it is that there are some fairly unique stores (as I mentioned earlier, the whole mall was supposed to be unique but, in the end, they had to allow some "sameness" in). So there are things like the NASCAR store/resto/go-kart/arcade thing, there is Lucky-Strike bowling and the fishing/outdoors store. A lot of the retailers that are there and are also elsewhere use their stores as outlets (Holt's Last Call as an example) so even there there is some uniqueness.

My personal opinion is that VM is neither the home run that Ivanhoe Cambridge hoped it would be but it is not a total failure either.....it is an interesting mall (if you are inclined to like malls) with enough difference that you don't feel that you could have done it all somewhere else.

One last point on the "middle of nowhere".....the congestion in the area is one of the reasons I rarely go to this mall...when I do go there, I certainly don't feel isolated from mankind ;)

Last edited:
Good news, my friend. Those empty fields have been replaced with the ugliest, most generic, industrial looking plazas imaginable.

JAMIE, if you want real cheap shopping, head to the US. Shop prices are cheaper, but that doesn't matter... You can get anything you want at foreclosure estate sales for pennies!

Perhaps ... but it looks like it is in the middle of nowhere. I really find it hard to believe that (outside of the sports fishing world maybe) that I can't find the same products at the same or cheaper price in Toronto, rather than off yonder somewhere.

Being British I'm fully aware. I'm also fully aware that the price differences are nowhere near what they used to be, now that the pound has fallen so much.

At the same time, other stuff is cheaper there. Air fare for example. You can fly across Europe for a pittance. I was looking at prices recently to fly just to Vancouver to visit family, off-peak, in November (I was looking in September), and I've flown to the UK for less money. There was nothing under $500. At the moment there is nothing under $700. And I thought about going after Christmas instead, before the Olympics mess things up ... but it's even worse.

Too true the pound is not as good as it used to be. Vancouver I have been there a few times and I could have got a flight in October from Glasgow or Edinburgh I can't remember which for £149 each way. You can still get that price for the end of November and return in December. I always book with Canadian Affair and always pay £129 each way for Toronto from Glasgow so an extra £20 for Vancouver is well worth it. They are discounting flights just now rather than after the New Year as the VAT goes up and Airport Passenger Duty will kick in as well. You have got to look at the site regularly and keep an eye on the prices.

Good news, my friend. Those empty fields have been replaced with the ugliest, most generic, industrial looking plazas imaginable.

JAMIE, if you want real cheap shopping, head to the US. Shop prices are cheaper, but that doesn't matter... You can get anything you want at foreclosure estate sales for pennies!

I used to go to the US. To be honest they became really awkward and strict about British visitors. Since 9/11 and Bush era they just didn't want visitors. You wouldn't believe how they treated myself and a coachload of British visitors at Dulles Airport en route to LA a few months after 9/11. The most ridiculous thing was that we had entered the US 2 weeks prior at New York and visited Niagara Falls as well. Not something to be repeated soon. True the US and Canadian dollars are pretty close now.

Too true the pound is not as good as it used to be. Vancouver I have been there a few times and I could have got a flight in October from Glasgow or Edinburgh I can't remember which for £149 each way. You can still get that price for the end of November and return in December. I always book with Canadian Affair and always pay £129 each way for Toronto from Glasgow so an extra £20 for Vancouver is well worth it. They are discounting flights just now rather than after the New Year as the VAT goes up and Airport Passenger Duty will kick in as well. You have got to look at the site regularly and keep an eye on the prices.
I guess we are OT ... but I guess it's cheaper to fly from Scotland to Vancouver, than fly from Toronto. The cheap method here is to drive to Buffalo, and fly to Seattle. But given you've normally got to change once or twice on a Buffalo to Seattle flight, and it's not legal for Canadians to drive a US-plated rental car across the border into Canada ... personally I'm waiting for the relatives to come visit me ...

That seems like a waste. Vaughan Mills and Eaton Center have "almost" the same stores. In fact, most of the major malls have the same stores. STC, Yorkdale, Square One.

I do like the VM mall layout though. Make one circle and you've seen the whole mall, instead of getting lost in the other malls.

^ middle of no where is a bit of a relative term.

not sure where you live/work/hang out......but I presume it is far from VM......but I can assure you it is not exactly a lonely mall sitting in the middle of a farmers field!
Well said, nowhere is somewhere that nobody has moved to yet!!!!!:D Anyway I take it that nobody knows the Vaughan Mills shuttle start date for next year.

Last edited:
Well said, nowhere is somewhere that nobody has moved to yet!!!!!:D Anyway I take it that nobody knows the Vaughan Mills shuttle start date for next year.

According to their web page the 2010 schedule will be posted in the New Year. I would bet if you emailed the people at Ivanhoe Cambridge and explained you were coming from overseas they would, at least, give you an idea of when they planned to start the service next year.

"Guest Services at info@vaughanmills.com or at 905.879.2110."

Back