News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 560     0 

UT Christmas Meet-up At Sassafraz

Famed Yorkville hangout ablaze
Five-alarm fire draws 40-plus fire trucks to downtown Toronto to fight fire at Sassafraz
Dec. 13, 2006. 01:37 PM
JOANNA SMITH
STAFF REPORTER

Over 40 fire trucks are on the scene as firefighters battle a five-alarm blaze at Sassafraz Café, an upscale restaurant in the heart of Yorkville known as a celebrity hangout.
"We don’t know where it started yet, but the whole place is burning down," said Toronto police Staff Sgt. Lou Villani.

Fire broke out in the downtown restaurant around 11:30 a.m. and grew quickly, sending thick grey smoke billowing up from the trendy neighbourhood.

Firefighters could be heard on scanners urging each other to be careful as the roof was ready to collapse.

A Toronto Ambulance official said paramedics treated a couple of people for minor injuries but no one has been transported to hospital.

The Sassafraz, located at 100 Cumberland St., is one of the places to go stargazing during the Toronto International Film Festival as well as year-round.

“It’s not known for the food. It’s known for its scene,†said Toronto Star restaurant critic Amy Pataki.

The scene really heats up during the film festival.

Industry executives and big-name actors flock to the upscale restaurant with the large wrap-around patio because it’s so close to all the screenings.

The fans follow.

“Celebrity watchers eat out on the patio, hoping they’ll catch a glimpse of their favourite star,†Pataki said.

According to Sassafraz’s website, Mick Jagger, Robert De Niro, Renée Zellweger, U2, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen and Queen Latifah have all been spotted there.

Hmm, was it an accident, or was the fire caused by friction: the accumulated debt of the the place rubbing against the fire insurance policy?

Apparently it may have started in the ladies room...so whether rubbing of some sort was involved, who knows?

from the star article:

“Black smoke started coming out of the main chimney, maybe the kitchen chimney,†said Dr. Bill Fleming, a dentist on the fourth floor of a building next door who noticed the problem at about 11:30 a.m.

“My patients never had so much excitement other than what I give them.â€

umm...ok....

Hmm, I wonder if the fire is "accidental", considering the redevelopment potential of the site vis-a-vis the surrounding area.

AoD

How disappointing!

Any other potential "accidental" fires that would conveniently rid a prime development lot of its current owners?

I wonder if that slaughterhouse fire on St. Clair West was also "accidental".

According to Sassafraz’s website ...Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen and Queen Latifah have all been spotted there.

Definately arson. The suspects number in the millions.

The rendering for the new development will be in tomorrow's paper just below the story about the fire.

Most. Prophetic. Title. Ever.
798.jpg

www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/thebookofseth/798

Over the last couple of years the owner has approached a number of developers about the site - so the musing above are rather interesting.

I wonder the same things. Yacht club wants a new building but the existing historic building puts a damper on the plans... surprise a fire. St.Clair townhouses constantly complain about a slaughter house that isn't closing down... surprise a fire. Now this.

I'm ashamed to say that as soon as I heard of the fire I thought insurance fraud.

I hope I'm wrong, unless I'm right in which case you can worship me as your new god.

Back