News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

US Prepares Military Blitz Against Iran's Nuclear Sites

I'm all for Iran having nukes. I don't see it as a threat. It will make the Mid-East a safer place. The conventional wisdom is that if Iran gets nuclear weapons, then the U.S. will not invade it. So that would be the absence of war, which sounds pretty good to me. Iran's Constitution prohibits the republic from starting war. It has abided by this law since the Constitution was drafted circa 1979.

That 27-year track record of non-aggression is far more comforting than the U.S. record in the same time: wars, invasions, bombings and other military interventions in Grenada, Panama, Iraq (twice), former Yugoslavia and Afghanistan. Coupled with the fact that U.S. officials have recently actually publicly considered first-strike use of nuclear weapons makes me far more comfortable with the thought of Iran with the Bomb than the U.S. starting yet another war while possessing nukes.

Their constitution may very well prohibit them from starting war, but somehow I don't think it precludes them from wiping Israel off the map.

^As much as the current president of Iran huffs and puffs about Israel, he cannot lead Iran into wiping Israel off the map under the Iranian constitution... unless of course Israel starts a war with Iran first. Then all bets are off and Iran, just like Japan (which has a similar provision in its constitution) and every other sovereign nation, has the right to self-defence against aggression.

The thought of a conventional Iranian attack on Israel has always been considered to be suicidal, because it would invite a devestating nuclear response by Israel. (Israel is widely believed to have already stockpiled more nuclear bombs than Iran could ever produce.) So a practical reality also prevents Iran from wiping Israel off the map.

As much as the current president of Iran huffs and puffs about Israel, he cannot lead Iran into wiping Israel off the map under the Iranian constitution

Maybe Iran is trying to sucker Israel into dropping the first bomb.

"Iran's Constitution prohibits the republic from starting war."

You mean like how the US Constitution gives congress the sole power to declare war?

People will always find ways around such things.

Iran's Constitution prohibits the republic from starting war. It has abided by this law since the Constitution was drafted circa 1979.

Anywhere else in the world, the sponsorship of suicide bombers would be considered an act of war.

You mean like how the US Constitution gives congress the sole power to declare war?

CDL42:

No, I mean like Japan's constitution, which prohibits the Diet (its Parliament), or any other organ of government, from starting a war. The U.S. Constitution does not have such a limitation and allows Congress to declare and start a war upon another nation, even when that other nation has not attacked the U.S.

Danny255,

Just to clarify your points about Iran not nuking Isreal, Iranians aren't Arabs. Likely, an Iranian Arab war is more likely in the near future then an Isreali Iranian war. Jerusalem is not nearly as important a religious centre to Iranians as it is to Arabs.

shumoon:

Sorry, man. Guess you didn't get what I meant.

Although the US constitution gives congress the sole power to declare war, the US (through the executive) has committed troops to wars without receiving the approval of congress (Korea, Nicaragua, Gulf war, Grenada, Panama). So, like I said, people always manage to find ways around such things.

^ Well, the track record of the U.S. has been to initiate war, often with the President leading the way rather than Congress. Iran's constitution doesn't allow its government (neither its President nor its Parliament) to start a war. So it is a little harder for Iran to get around such a prohibition. I suppose it is not impossible for Iran to start a war. Someone would have to come up with a pretty creative justification though.

Moreover, Iranians have a track record of staying out of military conflicts around them that the U.S. cannot match. Since the Iranian Revolution in 1979, they have never been part of any military "coalition of the willing". Iran shows no sign it is preparing to invade any other nation.

Iran sat out the First Gulf War, which involved its neighbours Iraq and Kuwait.

The U.S. went two oceans away to start a war.

Iran did not participate in this current war in neighbouring Iraq.

Though they had no love for the Taliban, they did not invade its eastern neighbour Afghanistan.

Because they have pursued a policy of non-aggression for almost 3 decades, Iran now finds itself sandwiched by U.S. troops in the west (Iraq) and in the east (Afghanistan). The U.S. is as bellicose as ever against Iran in its rhetoric. Is it no wonder that Iran is seeking a minimum nuclear deterrent?

Iran shows no sign it is preparing to invade any other nation.

...if you think that wiping Israel off the map doesn't count then I guess not.

Iran sat out the First Gulf War, which involved its neighbours Iraq and Kuwait.

It hardly started the war, which began when Iraq invaded Kuwait without warning or provocation.

^Iraq said the kuwait was side drilling for oil across the border. And there were talks with the US before the Kuwaiti invasion.

...if you think that wiping Israel off the map doesn't count then I guess not.

Blixa:

Iran has not wiped Israel off the map. We see no signs of any Iranian troop mobilization to do so either. Moreover, Iran has little incentive wipe Israel off the map when it knows what Israel's response will be. Israel has a fully stocked nuclear arsenal at its disposal and would not hesitate to use it if Iran were to try to wipe it off the map. I still stand by what I wrote.

As to the issue of the First Gulf War:

Yes, Iraq invaded Kuwait. However, Iraq did not invade the U.S. Nonetheless, the U.S. got nervous about its oil supply and started its own military adventure in Iraq and invaded that country in 1991.

I cannot stress enough that Iran did not participate in this adventure. It did not invade Kuwait, Iraq, nor the U.S. In this instance, its foreign (and military) policy was close to that of Switzerland. It didn't take sides.

Back