News   Jul 15, 2024
 661     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 824     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 618     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

A bit quiet in the Neighbourhood lately, but in retirement I've given myself over, mostly, to the pursuit of pleasure and the appreciation of beauty ... rather than to chattering online. Caught the last performance of the National Ballet's wonderful Chroma, Serenade and Emergence a few weeks ago, and to the Textile Museum to see the current shows. Dropped by the U of T Art Centre to see the Malcove Collection ( they were taking down the other show, so missed it ). To the AGO with another pal to see Julian Thingy's show ( neither of us were particularly enamoured ) and we'll return soon for the Maharaja show. Last week heard young ( he looks about 12 ) Mexican pianist Alejandro Vela's lunchtime recital at the Four Seasons Centre. Today I returned, with a friend, to hear Sondra Radvanovsky sing Puccini and Verdi ... which was quite beyond compare as such COC presentations go. Then across the street for lunch at the Osgoode Hall restaurant - and a look around the Rotunda, Library, and upper lounge in the old part of the building. Then down to the Goethe-Institut library to look at design books and on to Lightbox ( where the member's lounge wasn't open when it was supposed to be ) in the expectation of playing my friend's DVD and perhaps ordering up some drinkies and nibblies from Canteen. Then out into the snow, and home.

It's not every day the average guy gets to meet one of Toronto's most popular and glamorous public figures ... but Saturday was just such a day for Rob Ford, when he was fortunate enough to be granted a brief audience with His Pinkness - Urban Shocker - at the New Year's Day Levee at City Hall.

"I'm Rob" he announced, holding out a pudgy hand, his little piggy eyes twinkling with anticipation. "Happy new year" I said, shaking it, and moving on to the next politico waiting in line to be blessed. "And good luck." I added.

Sorry - been busy! No rest for the wicked!

The line:

P1200350.jpg

Closer:

P1200351.jpg

Bingo!

P1200347.jpg

After:

P1200352.jpg

Meanwhile, the official pic of Shocker does not seem to be in the Flickr set now posted on line. Censorship! Boo!!!

Last edited:
Nice colours Urban Shocker. That mister Cherry could learn a thing or two from you when donning pink attire.

Why thank you ... thank you very much ..

Style notes: The Pringle sweater is from Walue Willage at Danforth and Woodbine, the Turnbull & Asser silk tie and the jacket are from Goodwill, the brand new red corduroy trews are by Polo, bought at The Bay, the shirt is custom made for me, the pink pocket hankie is from Harry Rosen, the walking man button from goodness knows where ... and the vintage pink triangle gay rights button was worn by me in the late '70s and early 80s.

I didn't wear the bling, not wishing to outshine the Mayor.

At Opera 101 last week, at The Drake, Robert Orth surprised - and dismayed - more than a few by mentioning that the opera will be miked. He wasn't too thrilled about it either, but there's enough volume coming from the orchestra pit to require voice amplification, apparently.

The COC's sturdy new logo doesn't exactly say artistic cultural body to me - steel works, maybe.

... or earwig?

To a few lunchtime events at the City Room lately. A rather rough-around-the-edges recital ( Beethoven and Shostakovich ) last Thursday. The external sun blinds were in fine working order that day. And a wonderful dance thing The Power of Gesture by Peggy Baker today.

To a talk at the ROM yesterday on Madagascar textiles - obscure, I know, but fascinating.

The Magic Flute on Saturday.

Camera bar is having free screenings on Saturdays at 3 pm - Chloe this weekend, Last Night on Feb. 5th etc.

Back