News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 688     2 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

Once you go Bruck. you never go back?

Very cute :) but not necessarily so with all Bruckner... definitely true of Bruckner's 8th and 9th.

I spent last night with the fairy folk ... and I just gotta say that Britten's A Midsummer Night's Dream is the opera that I've enjoyed the most ...

It has come in second for me, after War and Peace.

Tomorrow night I will see La Boheme with a friend. Looking forward to it because I generally always enjoy the Puccini scores, even though they can be schlocky.

When I think of Boheme, I wonder when they are going to make an opera of Moonstruck (darned near my favourite movie). After all, it is a movie with a Bohemian plot played by Bohemian characters, with an opera (La Boheme) set into it. So, the opera would be about a movie with an opera in it. Just a dumb idea... aren't you glad that La Boheme is my last opera of the season?

A friend of mine saw A Midsummer Night's Dream on Sunday and left at intermission, disappointed. He was expecting something more gutsy, I think, perhaps akin to the earthy, multi-lingual version of the play we saw at Luminato last year.

Same as a friend of mine! He told me everyone hated it.

Yet the major outlets have given it rave reviews.... interesting.

I'm going tomorrow, but would rather see Washington play Pittsburgh in Game 7.

Roy G Biv is a balanced Torontonian.

I think this year's Best Performance By A Dog In An Opera award should go to the fussy little pooch Jezibaba carried around in Rusalka.

We experimented with different seats for La Boheme and were impressed. Normally we sit at the side (loose seating) on 4th ring, this time around we changed our seats for mid 3rd ring. I am impressed at how good this opera house sounds. It is acousticallly excellent throughout, with different qualities in different locations.

Frankly, I wanted more from this production. I would prefer more spirit in Rodolfo, and more can belto from Mimi. Mimi was well acted, however. The 905ers behind me ate up the second act like chocolate cake. I wanted to slap a woman behind me who loudly unzipped her purse just as Mimi was finishing up her "They call me Mimi" number. Some people!

Opera season now over, I am revising my list of favourites. I liked War and Peace best, Simon Bocanegra (byzantine plot and all) second, and the Britten thing third.

Will be catching Mahler 6th at TSO at end of the month.... :)

Last edited:
Enjoy the Mahler.

When the COC had their open house in the summer of 2006, I heard from one of the staff that acoustical tests indicated the best sound quality is to be enjoyed ... at the front of Ring 3, just either side of centre. That's roughly where I sat during the Ring a few months later. But I haven't had problems with the sound anywhere I've been. Yes, different qualities in different locations sums it up nicely.

I'm taking my Mother to Last Night of the Proms next week. Not normally my thing, but it might be zany fun. Then I'm to A Midsummer Night's Dream again on the 23rd. My COC contact put me on the staff email list for $20 unsold tickets in excellent locations - in case you're interested next season Tony?

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" was a smash! Absolutely LOVED it! Just another benefit of getting a subscription; I'd never have chosen to see this opera if I were buying single performance tickets. The dog got a round of applause (LOL!), the stage was positively lousy with faeries (must remember to spray for them), and I came away hard-pressed to name a favourite opera of the last season. This one would be fighting for first place with "Rusalka", "War and Peace" and "Simon Boccanegra". Let them duke it out; I win regardless.:D

When the going gets tough, Canadians go to the opera!

In comparison, the Met's houses are about 90%, the Lyric Opera of Chicago about 93%. The average - on the continent - is 75%.

We're third with the number of performances scheduled for the 09/10 season: Met 225; Lyric 77; COC 68.

The COC also has an unusually high subscription rate of 75% compared to the Met ( 32% ) and the Lyric ( 68% ). The continental average is 44%.

Pretty amazing Mahler 6th at the TSO (Herbig) on Saturday May 30th, ending my TSO subscriptions for the current season. This is Herbig's best piece, ever.

There is room for interpretation with the three hammer blows (of fate) written into the last movement - Herbig didn't direct the third strike. Those hammer blows really add to the terrifying nature of this piece.

The third movement allows the listener to cry about something, anything they wish to cry about (hopefully inwardly) and get it over with -- not a bad thing, right?

Another very prolonged and respectful ovation at the end of the concert. Nearly full hall.

Last night I went to the Chairmen's Reception at the ROM.

Got there late - the Crystal Court was packed with hundreds of nicely dressed people behaving nicely. Scooped up a glass of Shiraz, headed straight for the nibblies: small plates, mini-pizzas, salads, and much competition for the lamb ribs when they arrived.

Suddenly, a loud crack! followed by a spectacular collapse of one of the buffet tables - under the weight of a huge ceramic decorative planter containing elaborate foliage. People recoiled. Heads turned. I don't have other buffet table collapses to compare it with, but I think this one would rank right up there with the best for the effect it had.

The reception followed, so we vacated the Court. We honoured the major donors and celebrated the successes of Renaissance ROM. Board of Governors Chairman James Temerty, in his speech, referred to what he called the "dual mandate" of the institution - the arts and the natural world. Hazel was in the room, we were told; a tiny hand went up near the stage and waved, Queen Mum like. A short video of some of the people involved in the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibition followed. Thorsell spoke. Someone closely connected with the scrolls spoke. Then we were let loose on the exhibition itself, and filed downstairs.

Well, not much to report really. Lots of supergraphics - quotes and the like - printed on large faux stone walls, small examples of glass, and some mostly unadorned ceramics ( including a rather fine earthenware goblet that reminded me of the work of mid-20th century designers Lucie Rie and Hans Coper ) from the period, a nice fly-through animation of Herod's renovated Temple Mount ( a minimalist wonder, it doubled the size of the place ), a few cases with scroll-wrapping material, a video interview. Crowd reaction was somewhat muted, and the traffic flowed onwards fairly quickly.

Then, the scrolls themselves, housed in an area screened off behind a black scrim, where light levels were suddenly drastically diminished.

I could see several boxy display cabinets. Above each was a photographic blow-up of scrolly bits, with annotated translations. I moved from one display to the next, peering down into the even deeper pools of gloom, barely able to make out the shape of a small brown thing that roughly approximated the shape of the large blow-up above it. There was writing on each of these small shapes, I'm sure.

Then on, past a few small bibles displayed in cabinets, and out. Back upstairs in time for a few fruit-on-skewers things, a globular cheesecake thing on a stick, and some decaf.

And so, home.

Back