News   Aug 16, 2024
 55     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 485     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 669     1 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

I assume that - back in those days - the Marchesa used henna, and whatever n ... n ... natural ( I can barely bring myself to utter the word ) colourings could be extracted from plants. So I think she was somewhat restricted by a dependence on the natural world.

My hair colour, I'm proud to say, is entirely the product of the unnatural world, and the startling advances made possible by the petrochemical industry.

Project End: There isn't much to say about my Yohji Yamamoto wooly mammoth/mammoth wooly, except that I bought it at N()IR on Bloor ( south side, just east of the ROM ) a couple of years ago. Vastly marked down. It is unlined, has side pockets, and is expertly hand knitted with a very even amount of tension. N()IR brings in a few such unusual items by this designer now and then, along with the shirts and jackets and pants - and I'm hoping that, as the economy tanks, there will be fewer people buying and more discounted prices. I wish they carried Miyake. I wish Holts was more adventurous in what they carry, too.

I caught Opera Atelier's the Abduction From the Seraglio at the Elgin. It was getting good reviews, so I was eager to see it myself.

Marshall ponytail-tight-black-shirt (I can't spell his last name) mentioned (during his now almost-cliche introduction) that subscriptions were up 26% this year! Looks like OA is blossoming. They've really carved out a niche as a foil to the COC's "seriousness".

The show was irresistible. An Italian Opera set in Turkey with English dialogue and German singing. What's not to like? The tenor (young guy from Quebec) was amazing... Screw washed-up East Bloc singers, let's go home-grown. The Norwegian Bass playing Osmin was also a standout. Althought singing his wishes to behead, roast, torture, and drown, he was pure fun. The singer playing Konstanze was hit and miss; I think she needs some refining.

And it's Opera Atelier, so throw in a healthy mix of great dance pieces, the amazing Tafelmusik, and Curtis Sullivan striking muscular poses.

Great show.

Thanks for the review, Roy. High camp shall not die so long as Marshall Pynkoski and Jeanette Zingg roam the earth and Curtis Sullivan can slip into something more comfortable.

Sorry for being naive but what is OA ?

Anyone else go to hear Kathleen Battle on Sunday? She's been a favourite of mine for years. Over the course of the concert, her voice grew into the perfection I remembered ;there was a small coughing incident in the first half. Her a cappella numbers proved to me that she is a musical instrument that needs no accompaniment. One odd occurrence: the number of encores; they kept going on much to the confusion of the audience, many of whom left only to scurry back, and then leave again. Never mind. How can anyone complain of too much Battle?:)

Alas no, Sunday was my day of rest. One of the print reviews practically accused her of terrorizing her accompanist. Was it so?

Just think, if she'd married Emanuel Ax she'd be a Battle-Ax.

At the Glenn Lowry talk last night it was announced that the ROM's ICC would be getting Vanity Fair Portraits in September 2009.

http://www.npg.org.uk/vanityfair/index.htm

Alas no, Sunday was my day of rest. One of the print reviews practically accused her of terrorizing her accompanist. Was it so?

Just think, if she'd married Emanuel Ax she'd be a Battle-Ax.

At the Glenn Lowry talk last night it was announced that the ROM's ICC would be getting Vanity Fair Portraits in September 2009.

http://www.npg.org.uk/vanityfair/index.htm

I love that; "Battle-Ax" LOL. As for her accompanist...Oh, dear god, it's true! She gave him such LOOKS and directed him with imperious waves of her hand even after (lackey-like) he went off stage to bring her a warm beverage (the blood of critics?). It was marvellous! My friend and I were too terrified to leave after the last of her encores lest we attract the "Wrath of Kathleen(episode IV)". Be afwaid! Be vewy, vewy, afwaid!:)

I'm so relieved that most of our cultural projects came early in the construction boom ... and were built before the economic meltdown hit.

Imagine how dreary life would be without our gorgeous new home for opera and ballet, and the expanded AGO, Gardiner, and ROM to enjoy. The art college, the ballet school, and the conservatory all have practical and attractive new buildings, and can teach more students than before - which further enhances our reputation as a centre for arts and creativity. Those projects that remain, such as Lightbox and the Black Star collection gallery, are either well under way or advanced enough in the planning process that we've reason to assume they'll open to the public eventually. Then there's the Aga Khan project - fingers crossed.

Fittingly, harnessing the drooly excesses of Big Hair starchitecture failed to spin significance out of thin air with the artsy-fartsy-touchy-feely-multi-culti thing that was supposed to revive the former O'Keefe Centre - along with the "L" ( oops! "I" ) Tower. Without substance, no amount of spectacle can substitute.

I'm so relieved that most of our cultural projects came early in the construction boom ... and were built before the economic meltdown hit.

After yet another visit to the AGO with some out of town friends, this was THE topic of conversation around the brunch table; imagine trying to get any ONE of these projects off the drawing table today! We dodged a bullet.

By the way, would this be the right thread to post some comments on live theatre, or is it restricted to opera and music? I go to see as much live theatre as I can and the coming year looks like it might be a very tough go. Any discussion that might help to promote the theatre scene might be helpful.:)

Happy New Year to all on this board! And remember, our dear Toronto turns 175 years old this year.

Back