News   Jul 30, 2024
 559     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 598     0 

Urban Outfitters (Queen West)

How does the traffic on Queen St. between Spadina and Bathurst compare to East of Spadina where rents are very high?

Will major chain stores start taking over this stretch?

March 22

Still not completed but they did install the round window.
2355321242_9b13c453b1_b.jpg

Those of you advocating the "contemporary" rebuilding of Queen's burnt-out stretch: keep in mind that it's stuff like this that gives "contemporary" its stigma, at least by association...

What don't you guys like about it? The aluminum? Is it too bulky?

I didn't think it was that bad. The size is appropriate, the office space seems to be quite nice (especially the top floor, with the sweet large balcony overlooking Queen St), as well as the retail area. The black brick is novel for the stretch but interesting.

Can we get someone better versed in architecture to critique this in a more detailed way?

No comment on the building, but I do like shopping at UO. Their t-shirts are so soft! Can't wait to see a bigger store.

something about the proportions and the design of the building seems so off to me... I think I definitely have to see how the ground level ends up before I can make a final personal opinion of it, but I don't like it. The round window... no words can express how... 80s... that is. If only it were a bubble window~!

Those of you advocating the "contemporary" rebuilding of Queen's burnt-out stretch: keep in mind that it's stuff like this that gives "contemporary" its stigma, at least by association...

Agreed. A faux-historical building could hardly look worse than this. What is it with all the modern infill on Queen (this, FCUK, H&M, Zara, Opera House, etc) looking the same - bland, grey boxes with floor to ceiling glass? Unimaginative cheap crap.

A faux-historical building could hardly look worse than this.

Are you sure? :)

1142017050-gardens%20on%20queen.jpg

The pic is of the Gardens on Queen, which aren't on Queen, but there is a development just like them right across Trinity-Bellwoods park which is similarly brutal.

I was thankful upon realizing that no historicism would be attempted, however I do agree that the clones infesting Queen as of late are quite tiring. They look like hangars, with their double-height floors and aluminum all over the place. The H&M is particularly boxy and overbearing.

What don't you guys like about it? The aluminum? Is it too bulky?

I didn't think it was that bad. The size is appropriate, the office space seems to be quite nice (especially the top floor, with the sweet large balcony overlooking Queen St), as well as the retail area. The black brick is novel for the stretch but interesting.

Can we get someone better versed in architecture to critique this in a more detailed way?

Note that I'm not saying it's bad for what it is. Just that it's stigmatized by association.

Similar to how all those Park Avenue glass towers that followed in the wake of Lever and Seagram were stigmatized by mutual association, regardless of their individual quality...

I wonder if it actually takes focus and effort to design disappointing buildings like this?

What do you mean? This is a brilliant example of contemporary architecture that will be fawned over and given heritage protection 100 years from now...

Back