News   Jul 29, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 101     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 490     0 

Up Country on King St

^go to some big factories receiving department and ask if they have big cardboard boxes they're throwing out (huge waste in manufacturing.) When you have 100 5'x5' boxes in your rented truck, deliver them to your pad. Then, make a pattern outline of a chair, table etc. Get some organic glue, a sharp knife/box cutter/chain saw?;) and cut shapes out, glue together and you have instant frank gehry knockoffs for virtually free!

Or if you prefer real wood, go around the countryside gathering fallen trees, and especially stumps--stump+glass=coffee table, stump+chicken wire+pillow=chairs, stump+branches+rope=bookshelves, stump+me=i'm stumped.

there's also craigslist and facebook marketplace--6 month old ikea for 90% discount?

check out GH Johnson's on Dupont near Ossington, it's a big unlabelled warehouse looking building on the north side with massive windows. i happened to get served by the owner Pat once and at the time he said he can order in anything that Upcountry sells at 30% less than they sell it for.. prices there are great but sometimes they have lots of good stuff (my taste is contemporary) and other times not so much. also, it took a while for the stuff to get delivered, but that's true of most furniture places

Neinkamper has three chairs from his personal collection ( sleek Austrian proto-Bauhaus models from the early years of the 20th century ) in Canada Collects at the ROM. For decades his was the only furniture store in that part of town, dealing more with interior designers than retailing to the general public. He has done a lot, over the years, to promote Canadian design.

shop at palazzetti instead

:) forget italinteriors... palazzetti has more stuff, just as nice and for WAAAAY less $$$$

:) forget italinteriors... palazzetti has more stuff, just as nice and for WAAAAY less $$$$
I found Palazzetti after endless googling. Looks good. I'm definitely going to visit. I found Neinkamper online, too. I'll give them a visit as well.

G.H. Johnson's is good. Really hit and miss, though. I'll talk to the store people next time I go to see what I can get. I also like Stylegarage near Trinity Park.

I've been all over King East and didn't find anything that was quite right. I'm having a really hard time finding the right pieces now that Oni One is closed to the public, and I can't wait until next season for EQ3 to get new stuff.

upcountry is still open, I was there on the weekend. Just curious if they are under new ownership and if it's safe to buy anything from there that has to be ordered?

thanks

I walked past a while back and was surprised to see stock in there, put it this way, I wouldn't pay up front, I'd insist on COD...

Back