News   May 03, 2024
 348     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 414     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 858     0 

Université de l'Ontario français (in Daniels Waterfront)

Yes, I don't want to make it sound like I don't condone frivolous spending.

However, for context, something like the umbrellas and giant rock at Sugar Beach was costed at $0.95 million, or 47% the cost to continue planning this university.

I'm hopeful in the Ford government but, I certainly don't trust them to be as impartial as possible in their decisions. All that said, the umbrellas are providing shade while continuing to fund planning a university that, currently has a slim chance of being financed, offers context on controlling spending as well.

It's not a luxury item for a large minority (of which I am a part) to have its own university - it's essential. Ontario public expenses and revenues were already among the lowest per capita under Wynne and the economy is doing well; what we need, obviously, is higher taxes - but that is another issue. What I expect from the Minister of Francophone Affairs is to defend our interests instead of justifying this policy and then complain that the federal government doesn't give them enough money for French services while ignoring that Francophones are taxpayers too.
What is the Université d'Ottawa to you? Where are the majority of Franco-Ontario residents?

What is the Université d'Ottawa to you? Where are the majority of Franco-Ontario residents?

It's a bilingual university, obviously - not a French university. McGill and Concordia are not bilingual universities. As for the justification for the location of the new university, see several posts above. It doesn't matter where it is, the government doesn't want to fund it.

I'm not interested in debating whether or not Ontario Francophones deserve a dedicated French-language university. My family has been in North America since 1660 and didn't preserve its culture by apologizing for itself.

It's a bilingual university, obviously - not a French university. McGill and Concordia are not bilingual universities. As for the justification for the location of the new university, see several posts above. It doesn't matter where it is, the government doesn't want to fund it.

I'm not interested in debating whether or not Ontario Francophones deserve a dedicated French-language university. My family has been in North America since 1660 and didn't preserve its culture by apologizing for itself.
I graduated from the school a few years ago and they say every programme is available in French. In a law class we had to study the original act which states "...further bilingualism and biculturalism and to preserve and develop French culture in Ontario" (https://www.ontario.ca/page/2017-20-strategic-mandate-agreement-university-Ottawa). I am aware it is bilingual... so is Laurentian. Does this mean if the province made Brock University bilingual (example), that this wouldn't make you happy? It needs to be dedicated French language only? As for McGill and Concordia, I think they are products of a different time and I don't think they would be formed today.

I guess since you have been in North America for so long my family who moved here from France in 1909 doesn't matter... We both get the same vote as do the people who became citizens two weeks ago.

Spending in this province is out of control. When you say the government doesn't want to build it... neither does the taxpayer?

I graduated from the school a few years ago and they say every programme is available in French. In a law class we had to study the original act which states "...further bilingualism and biculturalism and to preserve and develop French culture in Ontario" (https://www.ontario.ca/page/2017-20-strategic-mandate-agreement-university-Ottawa). I am aware it is bilingual... so is Laurentian. Does this mean if the province made Brock University bilingual (example), that this wouldn't make you happy? It needs to be dedicated French language only? As for McGill and Concordia, I think they are products of a different time and I don't think they would be formed today.

I guess since you have been in North America for so long my family who moved here from France in 1909 doesn't matter... We both get the same vote as do the people who became citizens two weeks ago.

Spending in this province is out of control. When you say the government doesn't want to build it... neither does the taxpayer?

There is gratuitous spending (i.e. throwing money away) and then there is cutting investment in the future (i.e. shooting yourself in the foot). Cancelling a new University (no matter if it is French, bilingual, English, or anything else) amounts to nothing but shooting yourself in the foot. Just think of all the net new economic activity international students would bring, all the increases in productivity an educated workforce brings to the economy, etc., etc., etc. Of all the cuts the government could make, this is the worst one, since it is cutting economic growth in the long run.

There is gratuitous spending (i.e. throwing money away) and then there is cutting investment in the future (i.e. shooting yourself in the foot). Cancelling a new University (no matter if it is French, bilingual, English, or anything else) amounts to nothing but shooting yourself in the foot. Just think of all the net new economic activity international students would bring, all the increases in productivity an educated workforce brings to the economy, etc., etc., etc. Of all the cuts the government could make, this is the worst one, since it is cutting economic growth in the long run.
Perhaps it's not the worst decision this government has made, or will make, but cutting higher education investment generally is a poor idea, especially in a city that wants to be known as innovative and as a knowledge center. The recently announced cut to tuition fees is welcome in a province of high tuition costs but at what costs - perhaps cancelling projects like these is the quid pro quo. Buck a beer, anyone ?

No matter how often people repeat that we had out-of-control spending in Ontario, it remains absolutely false. Ontario has the lowest (or nearly the lowest) per capita program spending among all the provinces. As I said before, I don't intend to debate the necessity of a university that Franco-Ontarians have been demanding for decades, and this is my last comment on the subject.

Not too much, but some insights into its proposed academic organization.

What Ontario’s francophone university could become
OPINION: The Tories cut funding for the planned l'Université de l'Ontario français. Marc L. Johnson explains how the institution was conceived — and why it would serve a vital purpose

Some interesting notes on the current status- the Federal government has provided around $2 million to keep the organizational structure of the University group going for another year, and the Ford government still supports the University charter law- though it's considered 'on hold' funding-wise.

As such, the University group is figuring out ways to proceed, looking into utilizing surplus Federal buildings/property in Toronto and is also planning to move ahead with private fundraising in a few months (it recently registered with the Federal government as a charitable organization). They've pointed to Royal Roads university as one instance of a university 'renting' Federal grounds.

I wonder what Federal properties they've identified as possible sites? Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

L’Université de l’Ontario français prépare une campagne de financement

Last edited:
In politics, nothing ever stays dead:

Ford government proposes deal to build French-language university in Ontario
The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:26PM EDT
TORONTO -- Ontario says it has come up with half of the funding required to build the provinces' first French-language university.

The Progressive Conservatives are now asking Ottawa to contribute the other half of the $126 million needed for the project, which they say will take eight years to complete.

The request was laid out in a proposal the Tory government sent to Ottawa this morning.

The initial cost for the project was estimated at $83 million when the plans were first announced by the previous Liberal government in 2017.

The province and the federal government have been in talks for weeks to secure a potential funding agreement to build the school.

The Tories scrapped the project in November as part of their effort to balance the books, a move that sparked outrage and protests amongst Franco-Ontarians.

In politics, nothing ever stays dead:

Ford government proposes deal to build French-language university in Ontario
The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:26PM EDT

Soon enough, Ford would ask that Ontario's first francophone university be able to field a U Sports gridiron football team that can compete with NCAA Division I schools (when it comes to recruiting top talent regardless of language proficiency) and consistently win the Yates Cup as one of the requirements, especially given how much the Fords love gridiron football.

Last edited:
Is there not a thread on UT of a development in the east end that that would have this university occupy 3-4 floors of the podium?

Zero inside knowledge............... but hypothetically...........I could see this being a good fit in the Harbour East/Unilever site. They were looking for an institutional partner, as part of their plans, or so I heard........

Back