News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 669     0 

Union Station: Northwest PATH Expansion

Even if a system were in place, that would be a lot of revenue lost. Perhaps visitors from out of town with plane tickets or car rental documents could get a discounted or free fare.

Some good ideas and in many ways the PATH issue reflects part of a larger frustration in TO.

There are so many ways that aspects of life in the city could be improved - at both "big picture" and site specific levels. Yet there is unfortunately a lack of collective will/leadership to make it happen. Much as we need to admire the spirit and initiative of the individual shop/franchise owner and developer, in matters like improving the PATH, we will continue to muddle through until there is an overall structure and recognized leadership.

Money wouldn't hurt but it is probably not the most important factor.

Important also is the need for ancillary actions by entities like the TTC, as J suggests. There are plenty of precedents of reduced/free public transit fares for tourists. In Geneva (Switzerland rather than upstate NY) anyone checking into a hotel receives a free pass for unlimited use of the public transit system during their stay - a system that is very, very good by the way. It's an easy programme to administer with hotels simply handing out the passes at check-in.

There are at least two killer objections to such a scheme in Toronto. First, all the "victims" - the aggrieved groups of poor students, disabled, homeless, etc. as well as the well-off downtown condo residents, suburban McMansion owners, etc. - would demand equal treatment.

"All those wealthy foreigners are getting something for nothing; we residents should have at least the same."​

Second, funding of municipal services in Canada as now done pretty well ensures that imaginative schemes to improve urban life will not get funded. In Toronto why would the TTC bear an additional cost, e.g. free fares or improving access to PATH, when the financial returns from a larger number of visitors goes mainly to others, in this case shop owners, hotels, etc.

In the Swiss model, the most important level of government is the canton. Thus the Geneva authorities can trade off a loss of fare box revenue with the added income they would get from business taxes on shops, residents, hotels, etc. The calculation is simple - will added revenue from an action exceed the incurred cost? If yes, then do, if no, then don't do.

In the Canadian model, the level of government providing municipal services is all too often not the level that can tax back part of the benefits. Thus funds for improving PATH would have to come from a city that would benefit only marginally from any additional income that would come from increased tourism income. The latter would include business taxes, gasoline taxes, airport taxes and fees, etc. all of which would presumably rise because of increased numbers of visitors driving, flying, otherwise coming to the city but would be collected by federal and provincial authorities.

If all the TO taxpayers or municipal agencies such as TTC see in government expenditures is the costs, it is going to be difficult to convince them to accept new schemes.

Giving municipal governments more authority to tax back the gains resulting from their public infrastructure investments would result in a very different urban structure. This is starting to happen but will be a long and divisive road.

a

Hey Canrocks,

Are you saying you're one of guys behind that vid? If so, kudos! I really enjoyed it when I saw it weeks ago. I've spotted some of the "You Are Here" stickers when I've been in the PATH.

I saw those "You Are Here" stickers last week too and they were a great help navigating around. I didn't know they were the result of a guerrilla stickering campaign, but it makes sense now that I've seen the video. At the time I was puzzled as to why many signs were missing the stickers, now I know. Good job.

Hey Canrocks,

Are you saying you're one of guys behind that vid? If so, kudos! I really enjoyed it when I saw it weeks ago. I've spotted some of the "You Are Here" stickers when I've been in the PATH.

Thanks! I'm the guy in the brown sweater. The mastermind is behind the camera, though. He's the one that made it look so professional.

There were some boys, about 15 years old, skating over the steps that lead from the Sheraton Centre towards The Bay a couple of weeks ago. Crouching Boy, at the bottom of the steps, operated the camera. Older Man stood to one side, taking stills photography. As I swept past I told Crouching Boy I'd seen such videos on the net and quite enjoyed them, and he suddenly became Bashful Boy.

Proposed tunnel from Union Station
Apr 04, 2008 04:30 AM
John Spears
CITY HALL BUREAU

Toronto planners want to dig another pedestrian tunnel north from Union Station under York St. to connect with the business district, as well as widen sidewalks along York, which would reduce vehicle space to two lanes northbound.

The plan, outlined in a report to the works and infrastructure committee, points out that GO Transit expansion plans and the Union Station renovation will increase foot traffic to and from the station.

The existing PATH system – the warren of tunnels and underground malls under the downtown core – can't handle the projected increase, the report says.

Currently, 14,000 people stream north out of Union Station onto Front St. during the peak commuter hour, and 19,000 others flow into the PATH system.

By 2021, 24,000 passengers will be spilling onto Front St. during the peak hour, with 36,000 more using the PATH system.

The big question hanging over the project is financing, which is not in place.

But GO Transit staff have said they might cover one-third of the cost on behalf of the province. The report says city staff will seek federal as well as provincial funding if the project is approved.

The works committee will consider the proposal on Wednesday.

The proposed route is shown on the following link.
http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/080404_a2-path.pdf

Pity there is no link from the Convention Centre to the CBC Building; they are directly opposite on Front Street and that link would give another north/south link.

Or even a link from the Convention Centre north building into - - - anything. That connection the SkyWalk in nominal at best, and the centre should be linked in in a couple more places.

I think a more likely linking than CBC across Front would be to Simcoe Place, as there is a public mall one floor below, and all of that is about to be connected to the Ritz and the RBC Tower too.

On the east side, a link through the hotel to where the SkyWalk turns south should be established. Why has no bridge ever gone in there? Connecting the SkyWalk up to more buildings might have kept the retail in it around longer...

Proposed tunnel from Union Station
Apr 04, 2008 04:30 AM
John Spears
CITY HALL BUREAU

Toronto planners want to dig another pedestrian tunnel north from Union Station under York St. to connect with the business district, as well as widen sidewalks along York, which would reduce vehicle space to two lanes northbound.

The plan, outlined in a report to the works and infrastructure committee, points out that GO Transit expansion plans and the Union Station renovation will increase foot traffic to and from the station.

The existing PATH system – the warren of tunnels and underground malls under the downtown core – can't handle the projected increase, the report says.

Currently, 14,000 people stream north out of Union Station onto Front St. during the peak commuter hour, and 19,000 others flow into the PATH system.

By 2021, 24,000 passengers will be spilling onto Front St. during the peak hour, with 36,000 more using the PATH system.

The big question hanging over the project is financing, which is not in place.

But GO Transit staff have said they might cover one-third of the cost on behalf of the province. The report says city staff will seek federal as well as provincial funding if the project is approved.

The works committee will consider the proposal on Wednesday.

The proposed route is shown on the following link.
http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/080404_a2-path.pdf

if this thing moves at typical City of Toronto speed look for it to be complete around the year 2055

On the east side, a link through the hotel to where the SkyWalk turns south should be established. Why has no bridge ever gone in there? Connecting the SkyWalk up to more buildings might have kept the retail in it around longer...

Well, at this rate, how much longer is SkyWalk--at least in its present form--for this world?

SkyWalk will continue to exist: it will be going through the proposed "internet hotel" at 151 Front (if that ever gets built), and everything that connects through it now (Metro Convention Centre, CN Tower/RogersSkyDomeCentre area) will still need to connect.

Why would they move it underground?

Why would they move it underground?

Esp. given the physical logistics of the neighbourhood--railway, the water-table issues related to landfill, etc. More likely, the environs will effectively densify Skywalk out of existence...

Back