News   May 09, 2024
 312     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 405     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 681     1 

UJA Sherman Campus Re-development (?, ?, IBI Group)

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Final stage begins on huge `gift' to GTA

United Jewish Appeal breaks ground on last of 3 massive cultural and educational developments
Oct 15, 2007 04:30 AM
Philip Mascoll
Staff reporter
Toronto Star

Ground has been broken for the last of a massive three-part community development project in the GTA that is being called "a huge addition to the fabric of this country."

Howard English, vice-president of the United Jewish Appeal Federation of Greater Toronto, made the comment yesterday after the ceremony for the Sherman Campus, a centre of community services on 11 hectares adjacent to the Don Valley ravine on Bathurst St., north of Sheppard Ave. W.

The Sherman Campus is part of the United Jewish Appeal Federation of Greater Toronto's $350 million Tomorrow Campaign, chaired by Gerry Schwartz and Larry Tanenbaum.

English said the campaign is the largest non-profit infrastructure project in North America and one of the largest in the world.

The three massive developments that make up the Tomorrow Campaign – the other two are in Vaughan and downtown Toronto – will serve the 200,000 Jews living in the GTA and also be open to the broad community, English said.

"This is being built by the Jewish community, but is open to all residents, no matter what race, creed, ethnic origin or background," he said.

"This is our gift to the Greater Toronto Area."

On Rutherford Rd. in Vaughan, ground was broken on the 20-hectare Joseph and Wolfe Lebovic Jewish Community Campus in May 2005.

This site will include the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto, which will be the largest Jewish community private high school in North America.

English said none of the $15 million Ontario government grant toward the Tomorrow Campaign went toward the school. The remaining 95 per cent of the total campaign funding – $350 million – is from private donations.

Downtown, renovation on the Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre at Bloor St. and Spadina Ave. was completed in November 2004 and The Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life at Harbord St. and Huron St. opened in February, 2004.

The downtown centres accommodate the 5,000 Jewish students who go to city universities and any other students who need the facilities, English said.

"Downtown, 50 per cent of the members are non-Jewish," he said.

English said the Sherman Campus, named after philanthropists Barry and Honey Sherman, will be home to Jewish organizations and agencies dedicated to building community within a vibrant hub of cultural, educational, athletic and recreational activities.

The Bathurst St. site currently houses the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre, The Koffler Centre and the Leah Posluns Theatre, which will be completely re-built, and The Lipa Green Building for Jewish Community Services, which will undergo a major renovation.

The Sherman Campus is being redeveloped by architects Mansoor Kazerouni and Sol Wassermuhl of Page+Steele Architects.

The projected completion date is fall 2011.

Sherman Campus services

• The Prosserman JCC, a 70,000 square foot, state-of-the-art athletic, social and recreational facility, will replace the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre. A family pavilion features seniors centre, early childhood education centre, computer learning centre for seniors, fitness facilities.

• The 500-seat Leah Posluns Theatre, rebuilt with cutting-edge technology.

• The Koffler Centre for the Arts.

• National Centre for Jewish Heritage will include new Holocaust Centre of Toronto Museum, library, Ontario Jewish Archives and museum exhibits.

• A renovated Lipa Green Building for Jewish Community Services, which houses UJA Federation, Canadian Jewish Congress, Jewish Family and Child Services, Jewish Immigrant Aid Service.

Well I hope the architecture is better than that eyesore@spadina&bloor.

Otherwise, perhaps i'll somehow make it up there (i hate bathurst st bus) to meet the local females;)

I think I know Mr English's daughter--maybe I went to uni with her?

But you gotta wonder: all the way up to Rutherford Rd now? Within 40 years they'll be needing another centre at Davis Drive! (I know I can't force people to move but if I could I'd like to see more people move to Bathurst south of Lawrence and Spadina south of College St.)

Finally, from my personal experience, while the centres may promise to be open to all in reality, they'll be used mainly by Jewish folk (downtown is a different story.) After all, how many non-Mennonites attend Mennonite cultural events?

Any renderings or site plans of the new Sherman Campus? There's none on the main site:
http://tomorrowcampaign.com/index.html

It's hard to tell exactly what's being added and not just renovated from the descriptions...I assume the huge surface parking lot south of the Don won't remain a huge surface parking lot.

The centres (well, not so much the new CHAT in Vaughan) are and will be used by non-Jewish people...I've been to stuff put on by non-Jewish groups at both the Spadina and the Bathurst & Sheppard one, and I'm not Jewish either.

I can't understand the selection of the site at Dufferin and Rutherford. The last thing that area is is Jewish. Other previous attempts to build Jewish campuses outside of the community have also failed - the Richmond Hill USDS on Bayview north of Rutherford closed after a few years.

Generally, it is the older generation that makes the most use of Toronto's various JCCs. But most of those people live near Bathurst and Sheppard where a JCC already exists. Even younger families that live in Thornhill tend to not live north of Highway 7. The new JCC will be severely under used in my opinion.

...and thus does my community finalize its abandonment of longstanding downtown roots in favor of some of the grimmest suburbia in the GTA. I love the discussion of the downtown facilities as being principally for students--God (or G-d) forbid any Jews might actually live down there. This walling-off can't be healthy.

I know this is probably a common problem in 2nd-gen+ ethnic communities, but why do I have to feel so cut off from the Jewish community by having grown up downtown?

there was a rendering in the print version of today's National Post - looked pretty sleek...sometimes, the Post makes their articles available online the next day...

Ya, another SmartCentres. I remember there being talk about this Wal-Mart reflecting the character of Thornhill or something like that. It's typical WM crapola. Both the Bathurst and Centre sides are giant, beige-puke coloured walls.

This site hsd so much potential IMO. The area probably has the highest density in Vaughan with the condos/apts south of Centre around Promenade Mall, and the Centre Park Condos going up just north of this site. But nope, Vaughan gets another Wal-mart. Sorry for going off topic from UJA, personal hatred with Wal-Mart, especially this one.

With regard to UJA, I don't find the site to be inappropriate. There is a Jewish population north of Highway 7 and lots of more possibly with all the new houses being built up there.

New North York Jewish Community Centre part of $72-million development
Second phase set to open Dec. 2019

Fifteen years after UJA Federation of Greater Toronto embarked on a plan to rebuild its Toronto and York Region campuses, the second phase on the Sherman Campus in North York is finally under way.

The second phase, which comes with a $72-million price tag, recently broke ground on the Sheff Family Building situated on the 27-acre campus on Bathurst Street, north of Sheppard Avenue, with completion set for December 2019.

More......https://www.insidetoronto.com/community-story/7936226-new-north-york-
jewish-community-centre-part-of-72-million-development/

3hNY_ShermanCampusRender1120_Super_Portrait.jpg

Attachments

• 3hNY_ShermanCampusRender1120_Super_Portrait.jpg
    3hNY_ShermanCampusRender1120_Super_Portrait.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 471
2/3 of this is surface parking. Surprised the City is not asking for land to be conveyed considering this is in the middle of the Don River Valley.

you can probably remove the word "mega" from the thread title

Back