Who will be the next US president?

• John McCain

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 80 77.7%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
You be surprised how popular Hilary is with Blacks...

It's hard to tell. There's an argument that Mr. Hillary is a truer black Southern male than Obama ever was...
IIRC, there's been much talk amongst black leaders in the States on how Obama is not black enough, meaning he does not descend from African-Slaves, but is instead the son of well educated immigrants.

Unfortunate that some people would hold such a thing against Obama.

In the case of both Obama and Clinton, it always sounds just a little like the qualities or particulars of their backgrounds is being held for or against them with a little too much eagerness as a means of judgement for their actions and ideas of today.

I guess that would make Edwards the standard-issue idealist white boy based on his past. He doesn't have to explain away his origins; they're just part of the package.

Why would or rather should blacks self-sabotage one of their own? As much as many would want to see a former slave's descendant rule the free world, their numbers simply aren't enough to gurantee such an outcome. Maybe if all 37 million blacks registered to vote perhaps? The point is I can't believe people are still so ignorant that they'd make connoations about a candidate's name or ancestry as a means to not elect him. Man talk about ad hominen circumstantial. As long as the white majority fear or oppress blacks they'll never trust an atypical person to hold office. Instead of using his personal attributes against him, lets stack up Obama's victory for:

-youth (youngest candidate since JFK)
-families (this plays right into conservative/religious midsets)
-blacks (and by extension Asians [Indonesia/Hawaii]; interracials)
-Christians and Muslims (if his presidency ain't a symbol for world peace than what is)
-the poor and undereducated and unaided by healthcare
-shift back to domestic issues from foreign policy (i.e. send home the troops)

There, some good PR. See not that difficult ;).

Kerry endorses Obama for president
ANDREW MIGA
Associated Press
January 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM EST

CHARLESTON, S.C — U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for the White House Thursday in a timely slap at Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton as well as his own vice presidential running mate.

Quoting a black American hero in endorsing the man who hopes to be the first black president, Mr. Kerry told a cheering crowd, “Martin Luther King said the time is always right to do what is right.†Now is the time, Kerry said, to declare “that Barack Obama can be, will be and should be the next president of the United States.â€

Mr. Kerry delivered his endorsement in South Carolina at a time, two weeks before that state's primary, when Ms. Clinton is riding a wave of enthusiasm following her victory over Mr. Obama in the New Hampshire primary.

Mr. Kerry said there were other candidates in the race whom he also had worked with and respected.

“But I believe more than anyone else, Barack Obama can help our country turn the page and get America moving by uniting and ending the division we have faced,†Mr. Kerry said.

Mr. Kerry dismissed Mr. Obama critics who say the Illinois senator lacks the experience to be president. And he took a swipe at Ms. Clinton, saying, “Some have suggested in this campaign that Barack is guilty of raising ‘false hopes.' ... My friends, the only charge that rings false is the one that tells you not to hope for a better tomorrow.â€

In last Saturday's debate in New Hampshire, Ms. Clinton said in comparing her ability and Mr. Obama's to fulfill pledges to bring about change: “I think it is clear that what we need is somebody who can deliver change. And we don't need to be raising the false hopes of our country about what can be delivered. The best way to know what change I will produce is to look at the changes that I've already made.â€

Returning to the subject, Mr. Obama said when he took the microphone from Mr. Kerry: “In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.â€

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, the third contender in the Democratic presidential race, was Mr. Kerry's vice presidential running mate in 2004. Despite their political alliance, the two men were not close personally and differed behind the scenes on campaign strategy in a race that President George W. Bush won.

Mr. Edwards responded to word of the endorsement with a diplomatic statement: “Our country and our party are stronger because of John's service, and I respect his decision. When we were running against each other and on the same ticket, John and I agreed on many issues.â€

Mr. Kerry was Mr. Obama's political benefactor once before, selecting the relatively unknown Illinois senatorial candidate to deliver the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston. It was Mr. Obama's first turn in the national spotlight and helped launch him on a remarkable ascent that has made him one of two leading contenders for the party's presidential nomination only four years later.

The Massachusetts senator lost the South Carolina Democratic primary in 2004 to Mr. Edwards.

Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards had their differences during the 2004 campaign over strategy and spending, and Mr. Edwards has said he would have been more aggressive in challenging the unsubstantiated allegations of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth questioning Mr. Kerry's military record.

Mr. Kerry's endorsement also was a jab at Ms. Clinton, the New York Democrat who won the New Hampshire primary after a loss to Mr. Obama in the Iowa caucuses.

Mr. Kerry had withheld his endorsement, hoping to have an impact on the race and avoid the fate of fellow Democrat Al Gore, the 2000 nominee who endorsed Howard Dean in 2004 shortly before the former Vermont governor's campaign imploded. Mr. Gore has made no endorsement so far this year.

While Mr. Kerry has been close to Ms. Clinton's husband, the former president, he was incensed in 2006 when she chided him after Mr. Kerry suggested that people who don't go to school “get stuck in Iraq.†Aides said Mr. Kerry meant to jab at Mr. Bush and say “get us stuck in Iraq,†and that he didn't appreciate Ms. Clinton piling onto the criticism he was already getting for the remark.

The Republican National Committee pounced on the endorsement to brand Mr. Kerry and Mr. Obama “liberal soul mates.â€

Mr. Kerry himself had considered running for president in 2008, but that plan fizzled with the botched remark. For many Democrats, his words revived bitter memories of his missteps in 2004, when he lost to Bush.

As for Mr. Obama, Mr. Kerry gave the young Illinois state senator his first turn in the national spotlight when he chose him to deliver the keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Later that year, Mr. Obama won election as a U.S. senator.

Since announcing a year ago he would not make the run, Mr. Kerry has prodded Democrats to take a stronger anti-war stance, pushing for troop withdrawal deadlines. In another area, he has backed environmental causes, writing a book with his wife on the issue.

Mr. Kerry should be able to provide some organizational and fundraising muscle to Mr. Obama.

Since losing the 2004 race, Mr. Kerry has kept a national network of supporters intact. He has an e-mail network of 3 million supporters, according to aides. He also has travelled extensively raising millions of dollars for Democratic candidates nationwide.

Just goes to show, though...even after the last several years, there's still something special about the USA. Can any of you imagine a speech like that being given in Canada? Or Europe?

Tony Blair gave similar speeches before his election to power. (We were finally getting rid of Thatcher and the Conservative goverment that had brought the miners to their knees.) They made many people cry. Then he made us cry for a long long time until he left power and now touts himself around the World making money at dinner speeches etc. As far as Obama is concerned there is a feeling even in GB that this man has a certain charisma and quality about him that was not seen in Bush or Daddy Bush or Peanuts Carter or any other president since Kennedy, well maybe Bill Clinton. Whether he can make it who knows but I think that although Hilary Clinton is a very good candidate for Presidency that she is also a step back. Obama is the future and hopefully the American people will stand firm with him. I particularly like him when he talks about talking to other nations rather than thinking first about a military solution.

With the way things are going, I'd like to see Hillary as the new President for this round and Obama for the next. Not really from any political viewpoint but just to "make one for the history books" so to speak. It will be ages before another female will have such a strong showing as Hillary and the likelyhood of Hillary running if she loses I think, are poor. Obama on the otherhand could wait till the next round. His strong showing now I think would make way for a strong following in 8 years from now.

If I were to bet on smart long term politics, I'd put Hillary in front first for 6 years (two 3 year terms) then let Obama take over for the next terms (his length of time depending on if there is another strong Democrat in the wings). As long as they both get the US back on track and much more moderate you could see a very historic venture unfold.

you seem to be a very fair minded political mediator rpgr.;)

I just think strategically, something that has been lacking in politics and military operations around the world lately.

Besides, even on the merit of something like "writting history" you could sell the idea to the progressive voters. Get the youth/fringe vote riled up even if it is just a lie.

I think Obama's use-by date is coming up pretty soon. I can't see his shtick working four years from now if he misses his date with destiny this time around.

I think Obama's use-by date is coming up pretty soon. I can't see his shtick working four years from now if he misses his date with destiny this time around.

It'll work if he keeps to himself. It'll seem fresh if he stays in the shadows after the election. You underestimate the power of misplaced and rose-coloured nostalgia!

Back