News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

U of Waterloo vs. Ryerson

BMO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi i've applied and been accepted to both Ryerson and Waterloo for urban planning, I jst wanted to get some feedback as to what some of you on this forum, i'm sure lots of you are in urban planning or in related programs, think about the two programs. Also how is the social life at both of the universities? I am a guy and I'm a little affraid that i'm just gonna be surrounded by guys 24/7 at waterloo LOL

anywase thanks in advance
Brandon

I attended Waterloo (not planning). The faculty of ES at Waterloo is dominated by women, if that makes any difference for you. I can't say for sure about planning.

I have great memories of my time at Waterloo Planning and I'm very glad I chose it over any other. It was a perfect mix of theory and practical education and prepped me well for work. Co-op is a great help as well when you're looking for jobs after you graduate.

As for your 'social life' question, I had a blast, met a lot of awesome people, and miss it all time. I would say the male-female ratio is just about half and half. I don't know where you came to that perception that it was male dominated. That's a problem in some of the other faculties, but not in Environment. To be brutally honest, what kind of question is that anyway? I sense a touch of homophobia and heterocentrism that definitely needs to be cured with a dash of 'grow the f-up'.

I doubt it was homophobia. I think it's more a matter of having a lot of women to choose from. ;)

I have great memories of my time at Waterloo Planning and I'm very glad I chose it over any other. It was a perfect mix of theory and practical education and prepped me well for work. Co-op is a great help as well when you're looking for jobs after you graduate.

As for your 'social life' question, I had a blast, met a lot of awesome people, and miss it all time. I would say the male-female ratio is just about half and half. I don't know where you came to that perception that it was male dominated. That's a problem in some of the other faculties, but not in Environment. To be brutally honest, what kind of question is that anyway? I sense a touch of homophobia and heterocentrism that definitely needs to be cured with a dash of 'grow the f-up'.

LOL thanks man, no i'm not homophobic at all, just like I think most straight guys can agree that going to a party where there's like 40 guys and 10 girls is sorta depressing lol and exactly alfransen you're right, its a matter of one's to choose from :p lol jk yea i got accepted to co-op and I was wondering what stream of planning you ended up doing urban design or urban policy? I'm very interested in the transportation aspect of urban planning and I was wondering if you felt like that was an option at Waterloo.

I am finishing up at Waterloo, there are a lot of girls in the program. The co-op has been really valuable. There are several transportation courses you can take but my impression was that you'd probably need to go for masters if you really want to get into it.

LOL thanks man, no i'm not homophobic at all, just like I think most straight guys can agree that going to a party where there's like 40 guys and 10 girls is sorta depressing lol and exactly alfransen you're right, its a matter of one's to choose from :p lol jk yea i got accepted to co-op and I was wondering what stream of planning you ended up doing urban design or urban policy? I'm very interested in the transportation aspect of urban planning and I was wondering if you felt like that was an option at Waterloo.

I finished with specializations in Urban Design and Land Development Planning. That being said, I'm working in the transportation planning field now. There's options if you're interested in transportation, and there's a lot of courses geared toward that. Jean Andrey's Geography of Transportation was probably one of my favourite courses. Jeff Casello is the resident transportation expert in the Planning program.

my background is from Waterloo Planning ... can't complain about the program at all ... great people, great campus life, great experience, definitely no guy-girl ratio issue there (except if you go into Engineering faculty) ... it was a well rounded program, especially good for future career since you got accepted into the CO-OP program

However, I hear often Ryerson is more hands-on and they are better in the 'design' aspect of their Planning program, which is something to be verified ... any Ryerson Planning grads here on UT??

I know several Ryerson grads and they seemed to have more problem finding work upon graduation than my fellow Waterlooers. It is true that the classes there are more 'hands on, though. Urban Design has taken off big time at Waterloo though, especially after we took over the old Architecture Studio

I really enjoyed that Geography of Transportation course as well.

Also, some of the co-op jobs offered can get you some good experience... I've seen postings for Metrolinx, Hamilton, Ottawa, and Waterloo. Several of my classmates have worked on the rapid transit planning process for Waterloo.

thanks everyone so much for you're feedback, Yea i've heard that, that Casello guy is like THE transportatoin guy at Waterloo, i remember hearing that when i went for the open house. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little info on how much of a workload there is in general with the planning courses? and how many days/ a week you had classes. And also i'm wondering how it is now that you've graduated, do you feel like you need to work yourself up to have a say in your job, or do you find that you're actually having a hands on effect with your job? for instance do you start off just doing reports and stuff, and then you work yourself up to do more stuff like plans and what not or do you do it from the get go?

I wouldn't say it's a big workload unless you are taking a lot of design classes.. Most of the time I've been able to have a couple of days off a week, although I transferred from another school so I had extra electives, so other's experiences might be different. ... I guess it depends what you are taking and what else you are involved in.

Last edited:
I found the workload when I was in UW relatively easy to handle. Most of the workload is project based, so it depends on how you manage your time. With the exceptions of say design courses or GIS courses, I don't think there are that many 'all nighters' involved.

In regards to whether planners just entering into the field gets a 'say' in planning issues, I say yes. Of course, there will be remedial tasks associated with any junior positions, but its the planner's opinions, backed up by their arguments, and how well they argue their opinions, that set each planner apart. Actually, a well crafted report on a planning proposal for example, may require years and years of experience.

Oh, and if I can add one bit of advice: Don't get discouraged if the courses in first year (un UW anyways) did not live up to your expectations. Most of the stuff taught will be theory based, with a bit of design, stats and geography. In the later years, you will be expected to write more reports and research on planning topics (along with more intensive design, planning law/development/administration, transportation courses....based on whichever specialization you choose). BUT its the planning theories that you will need in your future planning career to create the 'backbone' in all your work.

Last edited:
I attended both UW and Ryerson. At UW I majored in Geography with a specialization in Geomatics. I took all the planning courses that I was allowed to, and a few with prof. permission, given I was not in the School of Planning. Looking back I kind of wish I had entered Planning from the get-go, but c'est la vie. I agree with all the above posters and their comments on the faculty (dude-chick ratio, courses, etc.) Jean Andrey was my fav. prof. and I enjoyed all of her classes, although not necessarily stats, but who does? During my fourth year I was in a special topics course with Jean and we worked with the Region to do field work for what is now the iExpress bus route, where we would survey the '500-metre radius' around the stations.

At Ryerson I did the two-year Planning degree open to those who already have a degree elsewhere. In terms with workloads and gender ratios, I would say it's equivalent with UW. I found students to be more mature at UW, but it may been because I was just a bit older while at Ryerson.

At Ryerson I found the campus life to be heavily lacking compared to UW, but that is because Ryerson is a small part of Toronto with a lot of everything all over, and UW is large part of Waterloo, which is a typical suburb with two universities and a college in the middle.

One thing that the School of Urban and Regional Planning at Ryerson has that sets it apart are the studio courses, especially in 3rd and 4th year. These courses puts groups of students working with various community groups or organizations doing practical work. I felt the transportation courses were pretty good too, except the lack of a resident transportation prof. Jim Mars was a great trans. prof. but is retired, and Dennis Kar only teaches one course a year. Maybe there is someone new who is full-time, I don't know.

As for getting a job, I had no problem and a lot of my friends had no problem finding work right after Ryerson, but I do know others in my class who haven't found work, and right now there really isn't anything. I work with a bunch of people who went to UW and they also had no problem finding work after graduating.

Never been to Waterloo, but I'm entering second year planning at Ryerson.

So far, it has been very hands on (hand drawing, computer modeling, attending meetings, photographing areas of Toronto) which is a little nervewracking at first. My complaint about the studio work is the little time to get the assignments done, they are weekly and there is only 5 hours for the lecture and the tutorial. I felt the hand drawing was challenging and very detail oriented, although the professor made it easy. The computer work was a bit demanding, especially for someone not very tech-savvy like myself, but I got over it.

The theory classes and lectures are interesting and crucial for first years. The sort of stuff you go over in first year is mostly related to the planning process, some history, policy development, sustainability, decision making, coping with groups, as well as past, current, and future planning issues.

So I can't really voice my opinion of Waterloo, but so far Ryerson has been exciting and interesting.

Back