News   Jul 22, 2024
 391     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 574     0 

U of Waterloo: School of Pharmacy (Dntn Kitchener, 8s, Hariri Pontarini/Robbie/Y+W)

It's hardly anti-urban-- check out that beautiful entrance, for one. And the King Street side elevation is easily adaptable to adding in retail someday when there is a demand on this edge of downtown.

There is a cafe inside.

It's also interesting to hear every Toronto forumer jumping on this project when few have seen it in person and none of us have yet seen the interior "Living Fireplace" courtyard concept (if that's the name, I do not entirely remember.)

I think the project is intriguing to say the least, especially for downtown Kitchener.

As I said I've seen it in person in which it seems worse to me actually.

Oh the inside might be great. Moreover we endlessly bash a huge number of Toronto projects so I don't know what you're getting at.

ps - Let me re-iterate what I previously said after having a conversation with my brother who live in Waterloo.
It's way worse in person ...

They should have used the tinted flower glass on the entire building.

Last edited:
I might be mistaken, but that exposed concrete wall that faces Victoria will be part of the connection between the Pharmacy portion of the complex and the first portion of the Medical Campus. The first medical building is intended to meet on the left side of the Pharmacy tower, where there's a "rectangle" sticking out of it (second pic below). Right now, I believe there's only normal glass instead of continuing the floral pattern in that portion. I think it will be in the connection that the cafe will be placed, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I just know that there's supposed to be one somewhere on the first floor.

First medical building phase is in the middle in the foreground (It has a mohawk here). For reference, Victoria Street is E-W in the foreground.
model_low_res.JPG

The rectangular "connection" which will connect the medical building to the pharmacy building on the upper floors. I believe the concrete wall mentioned above will be the first floor connection between the two.
Jan087720.jpg

As I said I've seen it in person in which it seems worse to me actually.

Oh the inside might be great. Moreover we endlessly bash a huge number of Toronto projects so I don't know what you're getting at.

ps - Let me re-iterate what I previously said after having a conversation with my brother who live in Waterloo.
It's way worse in person ...

They should have used the tinted flower glass on the entire building.

I was just saying that most Toronto forumers have not even seen this building.

In terms of the glass-- I know what you mean, but the floral parts are not see-through, they are actually ceramic panels. Therefore they couldn't cover the whole building with those panels or there would be no natural light entering the building.

I can see why you'd say that, it's easy to judge.

Anyway to be honest, I've always found King street across Uptown Waterloo and Kitchener one of the nicest stretches in Ontario outside of the major Urban areas.

It works well having the downtown area's of both cities (small cities) concentrated in one area.

So by no means am I trying to put down the region.

The floral panels are ugly, but I like the building overall. I think it's a bit early to dismiss it as a failure as others have; it's not even close to finished yet.

I admit I haven't seen this building since last March or April. Thanks for the more up-to-date pictures. The structure actually looks fairly good to me, from the pictures. They confirm my earlier impression. The structrue does address the street and seems to have a welcoming entrance. Is there intended to be retail along one sidewalk, as it appears there might be in Urbandreamer's second picture?

I find it intriguing. But it may suffer more from the site's grandfathered-in psychological legacy as an industrial zone--and the Kaufman condos across the way are a perpetual reminder of that, in spite of itself...

27 December 2008 photo update

I walked around the site last night and took lotsa pix. Here are some:

Note the distance between (the recently widened) Victoria St and the building--too wide!
DSC00412-2.jpg

DSC00407-2.jpg

DSC00398-1.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00384-1.jpg

DSC00383-1.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00376-1.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

Parking garage on the Waterloo side of the building parallel to King St is blah, eh?
DSC00367.jpg

Earlier, driving by in the rain it almost looked good. I suppose the (sandstone?) stone cladding is supposed to ground the "plants" rising up the side of the building?

The interior was a hub of activity--carpenters etc working into the night.

Last edited:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090124.ROCHON24/TPStory/National

CITYSPACE: HELLO INSULATING MURALS: GOODBYE BORING GREEN MONOLITH
Hey dude, check out the flower-power tower
The U of Waterloo has wrapped its new School of Pharmacy in medicinal herbs. The result isn't flawless, but it sure is groovy

LISA ROCHON

January 24, 2009

KITCHENER, ONT. -- You can see it on the ski slopes - the dazzling grids of colour splashed all over this season's snowboarder jackets, and the lusciously oversized flowers on the latest skis. Even the psychedelic video projection in the Museum of Modern Art's atrium (big, bright, wild shapes flowing over the walls and the bodies of New Yorkers) is a much-needed love-in. And Barack Obama has been inaugurated as 44th president of the United States - of things old and true.

It's flower power all over again. And the love is touching architecture.

Just when we had grown weary of green-tinted glass infecting our cities like the winter flu, a building comes along that replaces the deadening curtain wall with a contemporary tapestry alive with lushly painted flowers and medicinal herbs. University of Waterloo's School of Pharmacy by Hariri Pontarini Architects is irreverent, gutsy and imperfect. Most compelling is the way a seven-storey building can communicate, even in the winter-weary downtown of Kitchener, Ont., that maybe, yes, strawberry fields are forever.

The building is part of the university's health-sciences campus, a potent mix of academic research and family medicine, designed to trigger the revitalization of an early-20th-century warehouse district. The city of Kitchener has donated $30-million to the building, as well as the land: an eight-acre (about 31/4-hectare) site at the corner of King and Victoria streets. A centre for family medicine - with offices and 27 examining rooms, also designed by HP Architects - is under construction next door to the $53-million pharmacy school. The two buildings will be connected by an atrium. Public space, designed by Claude Cormier, will feature a grassy courtyard with honey-locust trees, and a streetscape lined by that hearty hybrid, the accolade elm.

But it's the colour images embedded in the building that dominate its form. Photographic murals have been inserted beneath a series of glass spandrels that wrap the building's exterior. In those photos, verdant leaves grow everywhere; there are violet and red blossoms, too, and philandering bees. Surrounded by the sober, taupe palette of the neighbourhood's historic brick warehouses, the pharmacy building's lush gardenscape, dancing beneath glass, suggests that - convention be damned - there are delightful alternatives to lifeless cladding systems.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Necessity can also force a bohemian willingness to try something new. The building was originally meant to be clad in limestone and glass, but cost overruns forced the architects to rethink the aesthetic. Reluctant to approve a generic metal or stucco cladding, partner-in-charge Siamak Hariri thought back to a theme he had often discussed with Jake Thiessen, director of the School of Pharmacy and the downtown health-sciences campus: Roughly 60 per cent of pharmaceutical drugs originate, not in a factory, but as natural plants.

Hariri contacted Sky Glabush, an artist and art professor at the University of Western Ontario (who is also Hariri's brother-in-law), to ask whether he could produce a small watercolour of medicinal herbs and plants. Glabush typically paints slightly disturbed landscapes of dystopia, but he agreed to help.

Here, it's important to linger on how a creative hunch gets translated into a captivating reality. Introducing a new building material is a risky business that can devour a firm's time, energy and money. But evidence of the painterly hand - Glabush's brushstrokes in watercolour and gouache - compelled the architects to pursue what the artist had begun. Certainly, that impulse has guided those whose work has resonated powerfully before: At Notre Dame du Haut chapel in Ronchamp, France, Le Corbusier understood the magnetic pull of the painterly hand by eschewing stained glass, opting instead for windows hand-painted with a crude, child-like wonder.

Hariri called on Udo Schliemann, a Toronto graphic designer with Gottschalk + Ash, to select certain aspects of Glabush's diminutive watercolour painting to magnify big enough to match the building's three-metre-high spandrels.

The next question: What material to use for the mural itself? With project architect Michael Boxer co-ordinating the creative initiative, the firm was put in touch with both the American and Canadian offices of DuPont, and the company agreed to provide what's called a film interlayer - effectively, a large, thin photo. It was the first time an interlayer had been integrated into a building's curtain wall rather than be simply a stand-alone artwork. Each panel was ultimately cut from a larger photographic sheet and numbered by local curtain-wall contractors Merit Glass. The pattern was carefully calibrated to offset costly heat gain on the west and south elevations.

From a distance and up close, the colourful mosaic beckons to the most world-weary urbanite. Measured that way, the building is a triumph.

Still, the building is also hobbled by its own generation gap. The difficult discourse splits along the lines of the bohemian groove of the curtain wall and the extensive, establishment use of stone and copper on the lower floors. And the metal fins disguising mechanical vents at the top of the building belong to still another, cooler aesthetic.

As a result, those boho flowers look great - but feel out of place. They're like disillusioned graduate Ben Braddock smoking weed in the middle of his parents' swanky cocktail party.

Hariri Pontarini Architects occupies a place of privilege within Canada as much for the firm's exquisite handling of stone and wood as for setting down urban buildings with grace and purpose, no matter a site's constraints. Their clients include York University's Schulich School of Business; and, most recently, the University of Toronto's department of economics, with its slipped planes of old and new architecture running along and behind St. George Street.

There's no denying the firm's allegiance to old-world, European elegance. To that end, underneath a copper soffit gracing the pharmacy building's front entrance, there are oversized glass doors in thick frames of walnut. Inside, built-in seating and window fins (vertical, hyper-articulated mullions) are expressed in rich tones of walnut. Within the main lobby, stairs are cut from moody Eramosa stone, and offset from a glass balustrade with large, steel grommets.

Pharmacy-school director Thiessen was on the architecture-selection committee for U of T's Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy building, before he left Toronto for Waterloo. Unlike the sealed confines of that building (by Foster + Partners), the Kitchener work features operable windows and open research labs that are located above ground and easily illuminated by natural light.

Many pains have been taken by Hariri Pontarini (in association with Robbie Young + Wright Architects) to relieve the Cartesian grid. "We're experimenting with softness all over the building," says Hariri. "We're deliberately patterning on the outside for softness - and for a bit of joy, hopefully - trying to take some of the hardness off." The curve of King Street is mirrored by the curve of the pharmacy building, to the north; and, to the south, by the rhythm of alternately protruding window bays.

The elegance of the construction, led by Ball Construction Inc. of Kitchener, is impressive throughout. Even in a place typically reserved for the roughest detailing, in the fire-escape stairwell Hariri Pontarini has provided a stainless-steel balustrade with harp-like insets, and capped it with a curved, walnut railing.

And the exterior stone is a compelling story. Much of the new pharmacy building - students only just began occupying its labs and lecture halls earlier this month - features the top layer of Eramosa stone found in an Owen Sound, Ont., quarry. Such "overburden" is usually considered too rough and pebbly for use, and is tossed away. But for this project, it was offered - for cheap. Hariri liked how it referenced the heaviness of the Earth, while the painterly windows spoke of the riches growing from the Earth. In theory, it works. But the tripartite canvas of stone, boho garden and metal cladding feels forced into a slightly disjointed, choppy narrative.

Was it wrong to allow a building to broadcast some earthly charms? Not a bit. The flower-power template is beguiling enough that it'll likely be edited, worked over, even imitated by other architects in future years. That's what happens when architecture takes a chance on itself, and decides to buck the establishment.

lrochon@globeandmail.com

Oh dear. How unfortunate.

This building looks as if some mad interior decorator threw a hissy and stormed out, hanging only half the drapes.

Thanks WaterooWarrior.

It's striking-- I love it. And yet it's simple and a natural evolution of Hariri Pontarini design.

Back