News   Apr 24, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.4K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 625     0 

U of T's Urban Studies program VS. Ryerson's Urban Planning program?

popkornage:

Ryerson Planning is fun - though I would strongly advise acquiring/polishing up your drafting skills - you will need it for studio work, and it can be bit of a shock if you aren't used to it for hours on end. Be ready for tons of groupwork as well - and you will likely have to deal with personality issues and drama that will inevitably arise. Competency with MS Office (Word/Excel/PPT), familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite will be extremely helpful. And yes, coffee will be your best friend.

AoD

Oh studio and coffee.

Probably the best part of planning.

I'm currently in Ryerson's Urban Planning program.. and I've got to say that it has been a pretty good experience overall so far. Can't say I've had any real big problems with the school or the program in general. If you need any specific info let me know.

I've talked to a few York University Urban Studies students in later years, some who have transferred from Ryerson in fact, and most seem to like York's program better. They felt while Ryerson excelled in the practical field, they felt that it severely lacked in the theory department. The hands-on part is what one can learn in a masters or even on the job, so you'll be fully developed once you leave school.

What about at the Masters level? I'm completing a non-Urban Planning bachelors' degree right now, and I know both UofT and Ryerson offer 2-year masters programs for those coming from non-Urban Planning/Design/Studies backgrounds. And what type of career would such a program lead to?

Thanks.

Hey There,

Are you at Ryerson's Bachelors program? I am looking to apply for their Master's...which I have heard is much better program than york's and u of t's. I spoke to few of my friends and profs [who teaches at york and ryerson or york and u of t- adjunct] and they all recommended ryerson over york and u of t. I graduated in Env. STudies specializing in Urban Planning from York- and wanted to know more about various urban planning programs. I was also considering Dalhousie.

I prefer hands on experience over theory based. I have also heard graduates from ryerson tend to get hired at a much higher rate than u of t or york cuz of their hands on work experiences. I wanted to know more about who are the people typically get accepted into Ryerson's Urban Planning Program?

Back