Toronto U of T: Faculty of Medicine Building Expansion | ?m | ?s | U of T | MVRDV

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I posted in the philanthropy thread about the 250M donation being made to U of T's Faculty of Medicine.

In the story from the Globe and Mail, I was left with the impression Med Sci would be renovated in addition to the various endowments being added.

However, the University of Toronto has since put out its release suggesting a new building is en route.

No renders released.

The Temerty Foundation’s donation will help to provide a new state-of-the-art education and research building through the redevelopment of the faculty’s west building on the corner of King’s College Road and King’s College Circle, prominently situated in the heart of U of T’s St. George campus across from historic Convocation Hall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the complete lack of space - it sounds like a partial redevelopment of MSB at a minimum. My guess it the low rise portion will get redeveloped? Also I think the midrise was designed to accommodate further floors - but it is no longer up to code seismically for it. Maybe they found a way?

AoD

If I am understanding correctly, this is the portion of Med-Sci which will be redeveloped.

1600951690742.png

1600951747010.png

Definitely a very high profile and sensitive site along King's College Circle, and would act as a gateway on that SE corner. In terms of optics and overall presence, I think it's extra important to not overbuild on this site here.

Definitely a very high profile and sensitive site along King's College Circle, and would act as a gateway on that SE corner. In terms of optics and overall presence, I think it's extra important to not overbuild on this site here.

A bit more height is probably ok and won't compromise the overall feel - but I definitely wouldn't want a tower. Maybe one more floor using the current building as a guideline. I wonder how many levels there are underground - maybe it should be more ambitious pushing downward as well.

Another thing I wanted to see is a good rhythm in the King's College Road facade - the current building has none and basically refuse to engage.

AoD

Hmmm... Interesting news... I have been hearing contradictory things about this.
They've been wanting to redevelop this section for quite some time now. However, in recent years, there have been some renovations in this part of the building, despite the pipe dreams of redevelopment.
Going back to the news release in April where the Temerty family made a much smaller donation:
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/u-t-an...foundation-support-urgent-covid-19-priorities

Of note, this donation was to allow for " Immediate expansion of U of T’s Containment Level 3 (CL3) facility and creation of a COVID-19 Biobank to house virus samples – a national priority. "
I don't know if that "immediate expansion" has already begun, but this would be within that west wing. Are they going to do this expansion, then tear it down only a few years later for a whole new building?
Or build a new building while keeping this facility intact somehow?

Last edited:
I find the current concrete exterior to be reasonably attractive in the institutional sense, but if there's a functional improvement overall then I'd be open to see what's being planned.

The portion on the corner isn't that notable but the buildings further East with the textured faces and the little courtyard are quite interesting, I wouldn't want those changed much. Although the paving stones there really need to be worked on.

Not the most detailed piece, but here's how the Varsity describes the plans in a November article:

Breaking down the historic $250 million Temerty donation to the Faculty of Medicine

NOVEMBER 1, 2020

As U of T applies no administrative charges to gifts, the entirety of the $250 million will be directed toward the support of the gift’s goals. Headlining these is the establishment of a new Temerty Centre for AI Research and Education in Medicine.

Another large expense will be the construction of the state-of-the-art James and Louise Temerty Building at the corner of King’s College Road and King’s College Circle, a renovation of the Faculty of Medicine’s west building.

The donation includes the $10 million gift that the Temertys already advanced in April, which established the Dean’s COVID-19 Priority Fund. Another fund, also to be created thanks to the donation, is the Dean’s Strategic Initiatives and Innovation Fund, which is aimed at investing in “star researchers,” new equipment, and open opportunities.

U of T's winter magazine is out; it leads on its cover with an article about the Temerty donation that is funding this project.

On the specific subject of the building, it doesn't say much...........but it does say a bit:

A new multi-purpose building

A classic example of brutalist architecture, the faculty’s venerable Medical Sciences Building opened in 1969. Now, what’s commonly known as its “west wing” – close to Convocation Hall, on King’s College Circle – will be rebuilt in coming years as a modern, architecturally inviting edifice designed to meet the needs of a new era.

Named the James and Louise Temerty Building, the new development will have multiple purposes, providing space for education of all levels and research of all kinds. Community and professional education will also be offered there, and space will be developed for signature events. It is anticipated that, among other things, the building will house the new Temerty Centre for AI Research and Medicine.

I think we can infer from this (see my bolding above) that a new facade treatment is coming, and it won't be brutalist.

Back