Toronto U of T: Faculty of Medicine Building Expansion | ?m | ?s | U of T | MVRDV

The project will be in accordance with U of T’s Climate Positive plan, which involves the development of a new district energy Nodal Plant. This facility will offer heating and cooling not only to the Temerty Building but also to neighboring structures. By generating 10 percent of its energy locally through renewable sources, the Temerty Building will contribute to the university’s objective of achieving climate positivity by 2050.

Groundbreaking for the project may take place as early as 2025 and will complement U of T’s Landmark Project, scheduled for completion in the autumn of 2023.

“There should be a seamless integration between the community and the University. It’s important to us that the landscape of the urban realm is part of our projects and that there’s no defined line between the community, the site and the building entrance,” said Vanessa Kassabian, director, MVRDV New York.

“The James and Louise Temerty Building will promote openness and transparency and encourage social gathering, circulation and connection within the building and between the University and the surrounding city,” said Nathalie de Vries, MVRDV’s founding partner. “Our priority is to create experiential spaces that inspire and stimulate cross-collaboration, support inclusivity, and promote advanced research.”

The James and Louise Temerty Building is expected to open in 2028.

There's a new 'landscaping' project in the offing here, probably........it's not part of the new build project, nor is it part of the Landmark Landscape project....

For now, I'm going to park it here......

It's just interesting enough to merit some conversation, while not yet demanding its own thread.

@AlvinofDiaspar being very intrigued by all things science may find this more interesting than most.

From the above:

1689962172340.png

There's a new 'landscaping' project in the offing here, probably........it's not part of the new build project, nor is it part of the Landmark Landscape project....

For now, I'm going to park it here......

It's just interesting enough to merit some conversation, while not yet demanding its own thread.

@AlvinofDiaspar being very intrigued by all things science may find this more interesting than most.

From the above:

View attachment 493937

Add mu metal shielding?

AoD

I think they're trying to build something that shield the public from stray magnet fields created by this device, so folks who have pacemakers and such doesn't go all wonky on them...as that could lead to unintended medical complications and lawsuits that will likely follow. Or less scientifically, U of T are building a shield around their backsides here. >.<

The new building will replace a building that results in a boring dead zone at a vibrant gateway to the campus. It would be amazing if it met the walkway at King's College Circle with a coffee shop, restaurant, library, study spaces, and/or an academic services office. Who could I contact at U of T to express these comments?
Agreed, the ground floor in this case wants to be highly permeable with plenty of ground floor activation, and I think that more traditionalist proportions (less emphasis on horizontality), or at least one that uses sympathetic materials/colour palettes would work wonders here.

Dare I say that something echoing the colonnade on Convocation Hall would work well bookending both corners of King's College Road?

Dare I say that something echoing the colonnade on Convocation Hall would work well bookending both corners of King's College Road?

ConDome is kind of clumsy even in its days - but a colonnade might not be a bad idea - you can have something like Foster's Carre d'Art in Nimes. MVRDV doesn't strike me as the type though.

AoD

Agreed, the ground floor in this case wants to be highly permeable with plenty of ground floor activation, and I think that more traditionalist proportions (less emphasis on horizontality), or at least one that uses sympathetic materials/colour palettes would work wonders here.

Yellow brick, intermixed with some use of concrete for detailing could nicely dovetail the remaining brutalist building with Convocation Hall.

One could also use some real Limestone on the lower levels in lieu of concrete for a bit more warmth.

I think they're trying to build something that shield the public from stray magnet fields created by this device, so folks who have pacemakers and such doesn't go all wonky on them...as that could lead to unintended medical complications and lawsuits that will likely follow. Or less scientifically, U of T are building a shield around their backsides here. >.<
I work with MRI scanners, and some NMR scanners. There is almost always a taped outline for the residual magnetic field of 5 Gauss (0.005 Tesla) around the scanner. Electronic devices generally operate no problem outside the 5 Gauss line, which is why we have it outlined. However since NMR spectrometers are vertical, this 5 Gauss line can go many meters above the scanner (hence into this discussion of needing additional shielding for the quad walkway). Take a look at this example on how the residual field varies as a function of height for a vertical bore NMR, as well the second picture shows a red tape outline for the 5 Gauss line on the floor.

nmr-stray-field.jpg
5_gauss_line.jpg

I have a feeling they upgraded a previous NMR scanner to a higher magnetic field strength (which would result in a larger residual field, peering into the quad walkway).

Back