News   May 03, 2024
 751     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 485     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 244     0 

TTC Work-to-Rule?

One of the Rules is presumably not to sleep on the job or take 7 minute coffee breaks while on a run. It might actually be a good thing! :->

If so, there will be no one supporting the Union this time. What a bunch of idiots.

So how would Work-To-Rule inconvenience us as customers?

I can't believe how badly the union is playing this. This is the kind of behaviour that results in hard, painful shifts to the right that don't serve anybody's best interests.

Yup. All my lefty friends are just as outraged. When you hear an NDPer talking about union busting....

So how bad can this get? Could the TTC lock the workers out?

I can't believe how badly the union is playing this. This is the kind of behaviour that results in hard, painful shifts to the right that don't serve anybody's best interests.
I might agree, but it's almost like the real estate market. If statements and moderate actions don't reign things in, sometimes the ultimate solution must be drastic, like a painful crash in the real estate market. This drastic event will overshoot in the opposite direction, but sometimes that reality check just might be needed.

All my lefty friends are just as outraged. When you hear an NDPer talking about union busting....
Well, I grew up in the west, and this kind of talk seemed to be more common amongst NDPers than in Ontario for some reason. So, yeah, I'll add to your statement:

"When you hear an Ontario NDPer talking about union busting..."

One of the Rules is presumably not to sleep on the job or take 7 minute coffee breaks while on a run. It might actually be a good thing! :->

Exactly. It would be a pleasant change.

Giambrone has been noted for his absence as the storm of the past few weeks has been gathering pace. Will he finally come out of the woodwork in light of this?
He has a golden opportunity to make an impact and do something here that will show the voting public what he is made of. Or not, as the case may be.

As for the work-to-rule, what a joke. The union can't even play ball when the GM sends out a letter which is nothing more than a hollow attempt to placate TTC ridership; they throw their toys our of the pram and start crying. They should be keeping their collective mouth shut and be riding the storm, they will only come under additional scrutiny and become a hot topic during the mayoral election campaign. I think they've not made a smart move here.

This is the typical media blowing things out of portion ...

First of all, that was only a suggestion made in that group.
Secondly, the union already came out today and said that in no way are they supporting any such action, it was just something that came up while some workers were expressing their frustrations.
Third, there were like 200 members ... who's to say if all of them were TTC employees. Moreover, there are over 11,000 TTC employees.

I agree though, these members or whomever through the idea out there are probably the *workers* ... and there not many of them ... that are giving the rest of TTC's employees a bad name in the media as of late i.e. they're likely the ones lacking any customer service skills. That's probably not even the problem, they're probably just the ones that don't care about their jobs.

taal:

If there is one thing that we should expect from ATU under Kinnear, it is unconventional and ethically dubious practices - like promising not to the strike and the pull a fast one and thinking of nothing about stranding passengers at 12 midnight. Anyone who does this deserve to be on my sh*t list permanently.

Right now, I would love to see the TTC dissolved and existing workers rehired by the reconsituted organization only on a merit basis.

dob67:

Of course they would say it isn't lead by the ATU - even the latter isn't THAT stupid. And remember the other one-day wildcat strike and where ATU stood on that one?

AoD

Last edited:

Back