News   Apr 23, 2024
 223     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 976     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 300     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

The
That's really bad, some of the worst I've seen. And so new! Normally don't include an image in my quote, but necessary in this instance.
One of the hardest things on this concrete, I believe, is snow plowing. I think the edges of the blades catch the junctions between the segments regularly. Then the corners get broken off and there it starts. It has made me think of whether the segments could be angled between the rails so that the plow blade impact was not head on but rather along he axis of the junctions between the segments.

The

One of the hardest things on this concrete, I believe, is snow plowing. I think the edges of the blades catch the junctions between the segments regularly. Then the corners get broken off and there it starts. It has made me think of whether the segments could be angled between the rails so that the plow blade impact was not head on but rather along he axis of the junctions between the segments.

I'm not sure if that's what it could be, only because it looks just so pulverized. Looks 50yrs old. Wondering if when filming something like The Strain at Hearn they brought a tank down there lol. Maybe as you and others suggest it's due to loose earth, or undermining caused by a leaking main which could explain why it's so focused in this area. But your idea of angling the joins is actually really interesting.

Hopefully, it gets fixed soon.
Cherry/Sumach is back in service now according to Brad Ross in twitter.

If it is a result of contractor error, how can they screw up concrete this badly?
If it's just the suficial concrete, they could probably fix easily enough in the middle of the night, or middle of the day when eveything has stopped coming out of the yard.

But if it's a more severe structural issue. that requires them to dig up Leslie, I don't see how it's going to get fixed, as I don't see how they cut off access to Leslie Barns for a week or so.

They've kind of dug themselves into a hole, with only the single entrance in and out of Leslie Yard. Without a back door up Knox, or along Commissioners to Cherry. I'm not sure how they thought they'd be dealing with the inevitable rebuild on Leslie ... perhaps they thought it would be 25 years in the future rather than 5, by which point the track on Commissioners would be complete.

Cherry/Sumach is back in service now according to Brad Ross in twitter.

If it's just the suficial concrete, they could probably fix easily enough in the middle of the night, or middle of the day when eveything has stopped coming out of the yard.

But if it's a more severe structural issue. that requires them to dig up Leslie, I don't see how it's going to get fixed, as I don't see how they cut off access to Leslie Barns for a week or so.

They've kind of dug themselves into a hole, with only the single entrance in and out of Leslie Yard. Without a back door up Knox, or along Commissioners to Cherry. I'm not sure how they thought they'd be dealing with the inevitable rebuild on Leslie ... perhaps they thought it would be 25 years in the future rather than 5, by which point the track on Commissioners would be complete.

If we get a streetcar network in the Port Lands within 25 years, that is. Then the second access could be from the south.

transitnetwork.jpg

In the meantime, the other two (or three, if we include Hillcrest) carhouses will have to handle the streetcars during reconstruction.

If we get a streetcar network in the Port Lands within 25 years, that is. Then the second access could be from the south.
I think you mean west. As your figure shows. There's already track to Leslie and Commissioners.

upload_2018-10-29_14-42-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-29_14-42-53.png
    upload_2018-10-29_14-42-53.png
    921.7 KB · Views: 423
Sorry this should never be the right approach.
Every job in this city has to be done properly, even if not cheaply.
I firmly agree, but that's not how the City of Toronto (or the general public for that matter) sees the issue. Free market competition always wins over the most valuable expansion (Balanced cost and quality).

For the stretch of Leslie south of Lake Shore, I think the biggest issue is the volume of fully-loaded cement and aggregate trucks that are constantly running northbound on top of the tracks from the plants south of Commissioners to access westbound Lake Shore. The southbound is nowhere near that level of deterioration, so I suspect this is the main contributor.

For the stretch of Leslie south of Lake Shore, I think the biggest issue is the volume of fully-loaded cement and aggregate trucks that are constantly running northbound on top of the tracks from the plants south of Commissioners to access westbound Lake Shore. The southbound is nowhere near that level of deterioration, so I suspect this is the main contributor.
That may well be so but the cement trucks are not new and this should have been taken into account.

Back