News   Jul 16, 2024
 652     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 725     2 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Will not see it as its an operational problem.

The only way it could be done is looping west to Vaughan and Back down. It would drop off and pickup riders at the westbound Bathurst Stop only. Even this is an operational problem. It will require another transfer as well.

Yes, assuming no track adjustments are made, I imagine that it would head east into St Clair West station, and loop back to Bathurst via Vaughan. Where would the additional transfer come into play?

Yes, assuming no track adjustments are made, I imagine that it would head east into St Clair West station, and loop back to Bathurst via Vaughan. Where would the additional transfer come into play?
Read what I wrote for the 2nd line.

Read what I wrote for the 2nd line.

Also, I recall an issue with the weight of streetcars and the hill at Davenport. The weight of the streetcars precludes towing or pushing up the hill without the risk of catastrophic brake failure (think run away streetcar). You can run them up there on an ad-hoc basis but not in regular service.

I would also like to see 511 service all the way up to St Clair West. The additional connection between Lines 1 and 2 along Bathurst would add much-needed redundancy (i.e. during trackwork) and for some, a reduction in required number of transfers.

The ridership patterns don't justify it. People from north of St. Clair are heading down to the subway at Bloor. People from south of St. Clair are heading to points north. Running streetcars on that stretch of track would require that people would have to transfer to continue their trips - which they don't want to do.

Also, I recall an issue with the weight of streetcars and the hill at Davenport. The weight of the streetcars precludes towing or pushing up the hill without the risk of catastrophic brake failure (think run away streetcar). You can run them up there on an ad-hoc basis but not in regular service.

The new cars are specifically designed to be able to push or pull a like car up or down the hill. Hell, the CLRVs were designed to do the same.

And considering that streetcar service existed on that stretch until 1966, there's no reason whatsoever that they couldn't run service on there again. Hell, the grade into Queens Quay Station is steeper - would you suggest that the TTC prevents revenue service from it?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There used to be service there, do you think passengers were forced out and had to push the cars up the hill?

There used to be service there, do you think passengers were forced out and had to push the cars up the hill?

Again with the snarky comments Dan...

Seriously though, that was the issues with the CLRV and ALRV fleet. They could not safely push or tow a disabled car up or down the hill and as a result revenue service was curtailed up Bathurst to St Clair. The only reason they run vehicles up there now is because Wychwood has closed otherwise they likely would try to avoid it.

I have taken a flexity to and from Hillcrest so it is doable but it is just that the TTC prefers to avoid the headaches.

Again with the snarky comments Dan...

Seriously though, that was the issues with the CLRV and ALRV fleet. They could not safely push or tow a disabled car up or down the hill and as a result revenue service was curtailed up Bathurst to St Clair. The only reason they run vehicles up there now is because Wychwood has closed otherwise they likely would try to avoid it.

I have taken a flexity to and from Hillcrest so it is doable but it is just that the TTC prefers to avoid the headaches.

They can and do push disabled cars up the hill today. I don't know why you think that this is such an issue, when the equipment was designed to do it, and frankly does it on a regular basis. Hell, they've even towed Flexities up the hill with a pair of CLRVs, just to make sure that they can do so in the event of an emergency.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
I re-read what you wrote but still don't see why a transfer would be required. I also don't see an issue with this particular loop scenario.
I said the car loops west, not east and must transfer to X route operating on St Clair at this point or to get to St Clair West Station.

As note, bulk of riders going north of St Clair which require riders to cross 2 streets to get the 7 bus compare to cross platform at Bathurst station.

If you take the streetcar north up Bathurst past St Clair, you have a point, but not in the cards to do it.

They could not safely push or tow a disabled car up or down the hill and as a result revenue service was curtailed up Bathurst to St Clair. The only reason they run vehicles up there now is because Wychwood has closed otherwise they likely would try to avoid it.

As far as I know, there is no truth to there being no regular service in Bathurst north on Bloor because of grade using CLRVs (or Flexities).

What are you pulling this out of. Do you have a reference?

As far as I know, there is no truth to there being no regular service in Bathurst north on Bloor because of grade using CLRVs (or Flexities).

What are you pulling this out of. Do you have a reference?

I recall Steve Munro once mentioning it on his blog. Had something to do with the weight of the car relating to the angular momentum of a disabled car.

Back