News   May 06, 2024
 490     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 679     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

I would have done any needed work the track or overhead in Etobicoke at the same time as the Roncesvalles-Queensway-Queen-King intersection. But that would mean more people, which means paying them. Can't do that, so they spread out the spending over the months years decades instead.

501L service to Long Branch was supposed to resume May 2023, as of the TTC's start of year schedule change announcement. Last time I was at the Queensway, a week ago, there are still holes roughly three meters deep in the streetcar tracks, with no workers in sight in the middle of a work day. The disastrous handlining of the Lakeshore streetcar has resulted in the lowest ridership per capita since the lines inception in the late 19th century. Never mind the dead in the water r.o.w extension to parklawn and a refusal to optimize the route in any way.
What disbursed me is the day contactor who has perform on time on all the other projects in the past is far behind on this for some reason other the hold up by Toronto Hydro which is standard for them and other utilities beyond their control. It could be a case where TTC is delaying the work due lack of funds or not having the man power to do the work when things were ready for them.

Regardless of various delays, can't see why that retaining wall hasn't been built months ago when first form.

Based on info pertaining to Finch Guideway and told many times in the past how slow TTC trackwork is done, they sent me an link to a 2.5 Km area that was totally rebuilt in 18 days including a new platform. Work took place on an 7/24 which rarely take place here.

I have question TTC current method for track work if it is the best way to go doing the 29-50-100 year replacement claim by TTC. My ride on 501 on Thursday is saying the 20 year plan is not working so far as well an number of other locations.

Seeing Finch trackwork, it becomes the 6th method for trackwork. Considering that the Finch method has only been around 30 years, it has a leg up on TTC method at this time. While have to wait until the is in full service to hear the sound from the trackwork compare to TTC method.

As to the grouting I was seeing for the line, it looks like it's the Dutch Edilon Sedra embedded rail track system that is being used, This uses a Corkelast grout to hold the rails into slots in a concrete track bed (https://youtu.be/KOE5LpQDKRM)

In Canberra a highway slip form paving machine was used to build most of the track from complete with the slots for the rail insertion. This speed up the construction time, except that the slip form paver wasn’t able to be used in any locations where there needed to be additional equipment inserted in the track slab such as drains, signalling transponders, stray current collection terminals etc.

They also ship prefabricated guideway as one section 30m long and drop them in place on either side of various things that can't be done prefabricated section.

Video of work on route 96 done in 18 days.

Last edited:
What disbursed me is the day contactor who has perform on time on all the other projects in the pas is far behind on this for some reason other the hold up by Toronto Hydro which is standard for them and other utilities beyond their control. It could be a case where TTC is delaying the work due lack of funds or not having the man power to do the work when things were ready for them.

Regardless of various delays, can't see why that retaining wall hasn't been built months ago when first form.

Based on info pertaining to Finch Guideway and told many times in the past how slow TTC trackwork is done, they sent me an link to a 2.5 Km area that was totally rebuilt in 18 days including a new platform. Work took place on an 7/24 which rarely take place here.

I have question TTC current method for track work if it is the best way to go doing the 29-50-100 year replacement claim by TTC. My ride on 501 on Thursday is saying the 20 year plan is not working so far as well an number of other locations.

Seeing Finch trackwork, it becomes the 6th method for trackwork. Considering that the Finch method has only been around 30 years, it has a leg up on TTC method at this time. While have to wait until the is in full service to hear the sound from the trackwork compare to TTC method.

As to the grouting I was seeing for the line, it looks like it's the Dutch Edilon Sedra embedded rail track system that is being used, This uses a Corkelast grout to hold the rails into slots in a concrete track bed (https://youtu.be/KOE5LpQDKRM)

In Canberra a highway slip form paving machine was used to build most of the track from complete with the slots for the rail insertion. This speed up the construction time, except that the slip form paver wasn’t able to be used in any locations where there needed to be additional equipment inserted in the track slab such as drains, signalling transponders, stray current collection terminals etc.

They also ship prefabricated guideway as one section 30m long and drop them in place on either side of various things that can't be done prefabricated section.

Video of work on route 96 done in 18 days.
Seems to be no intent from the TTC to learn best practice from around the world. Also would anyone be able to confirm my theory that streetcar tracks require more frequent maintenance due to the heavy traffic from cars and overweight trucks? Have not looked extensively into this, but Spadina, Harbourfront and St. Clair seem to receive much less bus necessitating construction than the mixed traffic streetcar routes.

Saw an out-of-service car with pantograph and a fleet of TTC maintenance vehicles running west down King Street today from Spadina to Bathurst. Looks like some final testing is being done to see if the conversion work is complete.

We need to use signs like these where streetcars and light rail vehicles enter or egress the roadway. Especially at subway stations, where there are off-street looping.

Give-Way-to-The-Tram-Sign.jpg
From link.
If the crossing doesn’t have a barrier, gate, or traffic lights, you will need to give way if you’re at the crossing and a tram (streetcar or light rail vehicle) approaches.

If that is too much, then use this.
Tram-Crossing-Ahead-Sign.jpg
From link.

Or with some legalize signage...
stock-photo-crossing-tram-line-and-yield-road-warning-road-sign-1138700147.jpg
From link.

May help to solve the bunching problem...

Though the problem would remain with enforcing it. How many motorists yield (by obeying the YIELD sign on the bus) to the buses turning into the traffic lane...
20200324-ttcbus.jpg
From link.

Last edited:

Streetcars to roll again at King and Roncesvalles​

The 504A King streetcar between Dundas West Station and Dufferin St will resume service this Sunday.​

From January 2021 until May 2023, buses replaced the 504 King between Dundas West Station and Dufferin Street, including the intersection at King St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave., to accommodate major City works on water mains and sewers in the area, as well as streetcar track replacement, extension of a dedicated streetcar right-of-way, enhancements to streetcar stops and improved safety for pedestrians and cyclists.​
“I'm glad to see TTC streetcar service returning to King and Roncesvalles after this major and much-needed work. This is another example of the work underway to build up our city and make significant investments in infrastructure,” said Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie. "Thank you to everyone for their patience as we completed these important upgrades."​
“Ensuring the 504 King to and from Dundas West Station resumes in time for summer is a tremendous example of the dedication and commitment of TTC and City staff,” said TTC Chair Jon Burnside. “We know that service disruptions can be frustrating for our customers, and I’m really pleased that we’re able to resume streetcar service. Thank you to the team that went above and beyond to get this done.”​
“Following the very complex reconstruction of the King / Queen / Queensway / Roncesvalles intersection, I welcome the return of the 504 streetcar to Roncesvalles Avenue,” said Ward 4 City Councillor, Gord Perks. “The return of one of the busiest surface streetcar routes in North America is very exciting news."​
“I would like to thank the local Roncesvalles community for their support and patience during construction,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “Together with our City partners we completely rebuilt the streetcar tracks, re-established and aligned new overhead cables, and tested and commissioned the infrastructure to facilitate the resumption of service for May 7. It’s a welcome outcome of improved service for TTC customers.”​
The 501 Queen will continue to short-turn at Queen St. W., and Roncesvalles Ave., as construction continues in the area. 501L Queen buses operate from Queen St. W., and Dufferin St., to Long Branch.​
-30-​
Media contact: Corporate Communications, 416-981-1900, media@ttc.ca

Though the problem would remain with enforcing it. How many motorists yield (by obeying the YIELD sign on the bus) to the buses turning into the traffic lane...
In my experience driving up and down Coxwell and Woodbine - most. There's always the occasional a**hole - but most drivers are considerate.

Meanwhile, in Berlin, they got rid of traffic lanes to put in a grassy tram right-of-way....

It looks like the got rid of the on-street parking, reduced the traffic lanes from 3 down to 1 in each direction, put in cycling lanes (which can be used by emergency vehicles like fire trucks), and wider sidewalks. Assuming there are off-street parking lots and garages available. Just no more movie scenes where a car finds an empty parking spot exactly in front of their destination.

Looking at you Avenue Road and University Avenue.

Last edited:
Used streetmixer to come up with some ideas for how dedicated streetcar(/bus) lanes could look like on narrower ROWs
dundas-st-w (4).png
broadview-ave (1).png

For broadview by riverdale park, think only 1 lane for access is necessary (switches direction every block), and getting rid of all the cars would make the park a lot more attractive as now
dundas-st-w (3).png

Attachments

• dundas-st-w (2).png
    dundas-st-w (2).png
    154 KB · Views: 38
Used streetmixer to come up with some ideas for how dedicated streetcar(/bus) lanes could look like on narrower ROWsView attachment 475586View attachment 475581
For broadview by riverdale park, think only 1 lane for access is necessary (switches direction every block), and getting rid of all the cars would make the park a lot more attractive as now
View attachment 475583

I applaud the ambition, but just to note, the City's minimum standards for accessibility require all sidewalks to be 2.1M wide at the minimum.

South of Dundas, though the City/TTC would doubtless object, you could easily run the LRT on a single track in that section, so as long as you had a two-track area right at Queen, and another north of Dundas where you could hold vehicles. This is done in many places around the world.

North of Dundas, I think the streetcar volumes are likely too high for any one-way operation.

In theory, I think you might choose to combine the pedestrian and cycling movements at Riverdale with a multi-use path of 4M. The problem there lies in that I don't see any logical way to extend that trail north of Danforth, so its a bit of dead-end.

I applaud the ambition, but just to note, the City's minimum standards for accessibility require all sidewalks to be 2.1M wide at the minimum.
And yet they are quite happy in making sidewalks that are already narrower than 2.1 metres, even narrower. 1.9 is generous compared to what I frequently see.

And yet they are quite happy in making sidewalks that are already narrower than 2.1 metres, even narrower. 1.9 is generous compared to what I frequently see.
They certainly REPAIR narrow sidewalks without making them wider but do you have examples of a new sidewalk being narrower than 2.1 meters. If so, I would ask the appropriate Councillor why.

Back