1.2K     2 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.4K     2 

TTC stops selling tickets

tzv

Member Bio
Reaction score
Long time reader, first post.

I was thinking there is probably some ulterior motive behind the TTC's removal of tickets from the system, I'm thinking they are gearing up for a move to a smart card system.
Metrolinx is pushing it hard and the TTC has been a major stumbling block in executing them throughout the region, they will probably stop tickets in the fall and by January they will introduce the smart cards.

Right. The TTC, famous for taking years to develop anything, will manage to completely implement a smart card system in six months. Unlikely in the extreme.

The many benefits of a public unionized environment. :p

Right. The TTC, famous for taking years to develop anything, will manage to completely implement a smart card system in six months. Unlikely in the extreme.

Hey, Metrolinx has a big budget and if they are willing to throw money at it anything could happen. It will start at major transit centres which connect to other Presto card using systems....Union Station, Kipling, Islington, etc. and will go from there.

It just doesn't make any sense for the TTC to all of the sudden move away from Tickets. There is something there...

It just doesn't make any sense for the TTC to all of the sudden move away from Tickets. There is something there...

"That something" is the fact that anyone with a printer could make counterfeit tickets, and it was costing the system several hundred thousand dollars a month in lost revenue.

"That something" is the fact that anyone with a printer could make counterfeit tickets, and it was costing the system several hundred thousand dollars a month in lost revenue.

Maybe, but its been like that for years, if that was the real issue why not have metallic faces on the tickets like in Mississauga?
They redesigned the tokens after they were counter fitted, no reason they couldn't do the same with the tickets.
Besides, everytime there is a fare increase they stop selling tokens en masse so people don't hoard them. They almost ran out last time, how can they stop that if everyone is forced to use tokens?

Maybe, but its been like that for years, if that was the real issue why not have metallic faces on the tickets like in Mississauga?
They redesigned the tokens after they were counter fitted, no reason they couldn't do the same with the tickets.
Besides, everytime there is a fare increase they stop selling tokens en masse so people don't hoard them. They almost ran out last time, how can they stop that if everyone is forced to use tokens?

The same decision to phase out the tickets also awarded the token manufacturer a new work order to produce more.

The same decision to phase out the tickets also awarded the token manufacturer a new work order to produce more.
I just read something by Steve Munro and apparently the TTC has the smart card system taking 6 years to get to pilot phase and 4 more to be fully operational...I guess I was just hoping that maybe they could jump on top of things...oh well, its a start I guess

On the topic of ticket elimination, has it been established yet if ticket vendors will be selling tokens? It would really suck if you had a bus-only commute and had to constantly go out of your way to a subway station in order to get fares.

The stores will be selling tokens after their supply of tickets is gone.

The Smart Card system is already in use in other transit systems. The TTC just need a push to start moving.

Just look at the automated stops announcements. The TTC was pushed by a court, and they did it ahead of other transit systems in this area.

Anyways, the Smart Card must be in place before any of the new LRV's start replacing the current CLRV's we have. The driver on the new LRV's will not be collecting fares or issuing transfers, since he will be enclosed in front and all the doors will be used for entry and exit. This will also mean that all the doors on the buses could be used for entry and exit. (Not likely, since currently, people still exit via the front doors.)

It is just a matter of designing a ticket that is hard to counterfeit. It is simple matter, but I guess not simple enough for the dumbasses in the TTC.

So all routes are going to be POP? I hope they start enforcing it because I regularly see (and smell) homeless people at the back of streetcars.

There should be a fare verifier on all routes who randomly hops on and off streetcars on that route.

That said, the new LRV's could accept tokens and output a transfer... another reason to phase out paper tickets.

When the TTC puts its mind to it, it can be amazing how quickly things can be done.

For example, in 1991, the TTC decided to eschew the printed rollsigns on its buses. Within two years, all buses had the rollsigns removed and replaced with electronic flip-dot signs, which just about anywhere else phased in.

After the abolishment of the trolley bus system in 1993, all the wires and infrastructure was gone within the year.

More recently, the TTC pulled out all the trash cans, quickly replacing them with the clear plastic bags. And the "stand right/walk left" signs on escalators.

And they can throw a half-baked series of lines on a map to EAs within months.

I've got some issues with the smart card. I also believe that the province, who's the one really pushing this thing, should give the TTC a better deal, but in return, the TTC should be pushing for it.

Back