News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 449     0 

TTC: Stations that Need Improvements

well what i guess is that station Queen's Park station in real was meant to be like a actual stop for parliament building than the real park itself.

Anybody interested in Station Modernization, check out the Victoria Park Station thread or go down and check out the station yourself. The reno still needs work but the new bus bays are open up now and the station is already 100X better when I think of the old station and its design. Hopefully more stations in the system get similar treatment. It is already a lot easier to transfer from train to bus or bus to bus.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just read in Steve Munro's site (in a comment by Steve Munro) that stations that are planned to be modernized is being deferred. Only currently U/C stations are going to be modernized due to funding issues. Hopefully the success of Victoria Park station and others will improve the funding.

My understanding (which could very well be wrong) is that the ones that are already in the pipeline will go through (Dufferin, Pape, maybe Warden?), and the rest will be deferred. It would be great if someone can clear this issue up.

AoD

AOD; you've got it right.

Construction underway at Pape and Vic Park stays.

Tenders for Dufferin are issued and work will proceed.

Union Station will be redone as part of the second platform project, tender is currently out, closes June 5th, I think....

Yonge/Bloor was originally next in line. It was deferred already (before funding cuts) to make way for the DRL study and decisions on how much expansion of the station was needed (with or without DRL) etc. Funding for that station is now 'below the line'

Woodbine was bumped to the top of the list....its now in the budget as 2014. (it was 2011)

Yonge/Bloor will probably get funded as soon as they settle on a design...

I wonder what they'll do with Yonge-Bloor. There's so many variables to work with to make it an outstanding station: flooring, lighting, ceiling materials, art, seating. It's a station where they should go beyond the ordinary redesign schemes (including the bland redesign of Bloor Station in the 1990s) and perhaps hold a design competition for the new interior.

I wonder what they'll do with Yonge-Bloor. There's so many variables to work with to make it an outstanding station: flooring, lighting, ceiling materials, art, seating. It's a station where they should go beyond the ordinary redesign schemes (including the bland redesign of Bloor Station in the 1990s) and perhaps hold a design competition for the new interior.

There is a more pressing problem, namely construction. Reconstructing Yonge-Bloor station will require the station to be closed for a good amount of time. But you're right, the design should be top notch before construction should begin.

Actually, the 90s Bloor redesign was probably the best of a bad 80s/90s lot on the Yonge line...

May 27, 2010
TTC wants you to tell it what to clean
By Adrian Morrow
Globe and Mail Update
Vice-chair Joe Mihevc leads reporters through a mini-audit at Christie station

In the latest prong of the TTC's all-out charm offensive, vice-chair Joe Mihevc is inviting the public to tell Toronto's beleaguered public transit operator how to take better care of its subway stations.

And to show transit riders just how to do it, he led a pack of reporters around Christie station, one of the cleaner locales in the system, Thursday afternoon and itemized all the things he would like to fix about the place.

"We need to build more bike apparatus here," he said, gesturing to an overcrowded bike rack outside the front doors. Then, turning to a nearby patch of grass, added, "what I notice here is a wonderful space that's underused."

The idea behind the project, dubbed the TTC Passenger Audit, is to get riders to visit the station they know best, fill out a checklist of the things that need fixing and send it back to Mr. Mihevc's office. The checklist is available online (http://ttcpassengeraudit.com/) and covers everything from lighting to graffiti to leaks and cracks in station walls.

On July 17, Mr. Mihevc will lead a public audit of Eglinton West station and he hopes that, on the same day, citizens will organize audits of the other stations. After that, his office will compile the results and present them to the TTC.

After the bike racks, Mr. Mihevc pointed to a line of old newspaper boxes at the other side of the station doors that he'd like to see replaced with nicer, more modern ones.

"Of course, that's not really a TTC issue," he said, acknowledging that the transit operator has no control over newspaper boxes (or bike racks). "But we can liaise with [the city's] Street Furniture [department.]"

Inside the station, he noted a conspicuous white space on the wall where a map of the station's surrounding neighbourhood was supposed to be, as well as a lack of sitting space in the foyer and on the platforms.

"Something I notice: look at every single bench, there are people sitting. So maybe we need to put in more benches," he said.

Also on hand for the tour was Steven Del Duca, a concerned citizen and aspiring politician from Vaughan who first suggested the idea of the audit to Mr. Mihevc after noticing the dirty state of some of Toronto subway stations.

"As a 905er, I can tell you we're very excited about the TTC coming north to Vaughan, but if you really want it to grow in leaps and bounds in Markham and Vaughan and Mississauga, you need it to be at its best," he said. "The more you're used to seeing something in a state of disrepair, the more you accept that it's the status quo."

Mr. Mihevc also looked to the Downtown Yonge Business Improvement area, which already carries out a bi-monthly cleanliness evaluations on five stations on the Yonge line, as a prototype for the audit.

The evaluations, which are presented to the TTC, have had mixed success in getting the stations cleaned up.

"Some of the items we identified last year haven't been repaired," said Joe McDonald, a B.I.A. spokesman. The most recent evaluation, conducted in April, found 12 problems, ranging from burnt out lights at Dundas station to a missing piece of ceiling at College, that hadn't been fixed since last May.

Mr. McDonald doesn't completely blame the TTC, pointing the finger at successive provincial governments.

"This is a huge system and without funding, it can't meet even the standards for basic repair. The funding has just dropped so much over the last 25 years," he said.

Mr. Mihevc agreed, noting the Herculean task of cleaning and fixing the subway was made harder because of the system's budget.

"We're always short of money at the TTC, and we're always making that choice: do you hire more janitors or do you put more buses on the road," he said. "If people start to say with a unified voice 'we want a better quality of ride', that will help us make the case both to the province and to the city that we need more funding."

On Thursday afternoon, Christie station showed little disrepair: every florescent light on the platforms was burning brightly and the tiles were virtually spotless.

So did that factor into Mr. Mihevc's choice of location for his photo-op?

"Absolutely not, honest to God. I didn't know the condition of the station," he said. "It's down the street from where I live and it was one that's not so busy, you can hear yourself speak and it would be a good image."

I see what your saying, from the report.

But, 'Station Modernization' was the above + new tile finishes and public art.......and ....

As at December when I read the TTC capital budget, the modernization was deferred to 2014, unless that's been changed since.

Its possible that the elevator and exit are moving on the original schedule..........but I have to admit I would be very un-impressed if the do 2 years of work, stop for 1 year, then start again with the tile and ceiling work for 2 more years. It really should be done together...

Interesting point. Seems a shame to spend the $millions on new elevators, entrances, etc., and not do the finishes. Surely the bulk of the money is in what they are going to do. We'll have to see what comes out a the public meeting.

Perhaps the Bathroom-tile-aficionados will get what they want, and simply get a cleaned up station! Woodbine (and Coxwell and Yonge) have been ignored in the recent paint, lighting, and cleaning work done on many of the other nearby stations ... and looks all the worst for it. I dare say they've been sneaking around fixing tiles on some of the stations as well - seems less missing tiles than I recall.

Last edited:
Steve Munro is reporting on a brewing controversy out on the Danforth over proposed second entrance additions to Greenwood and Donlands stations.

I know we had a thread talking about this a long time ago, but can't find it now. To summarize, for people who don't know, current building codes require two separate exit paths to the surface from the platforms of subway stations (the tunnel doesn't count). This was not the case back in the 50's and 60's and we built stations with only one path to the surface from the platform. The TTC has decided it must add second entrances to all stations without them. I have never seen a clear answer as to whether it is required that stations that do not meet the new codes must be renovated by a certain time, but they seem to have been advised there is. Castle Frank is currently underway. Several other stations have sketchy plans that are pending approval or are waiting for other construction in the area to happen first (an exit into Aura at College is supposed to be planned).

The TTC has just approved plans to add new entrances to Woodbine, Donlands and Greenwood by 2012. The Donlands and Greenwood projects require expropriation of properties and demolition of some houses to build the new station box. The neighborhoods are not amused.

I can almost, maybe, get behind the idea of just dropping one or both stations from the system, instead of spending money on this, but I don't have to use them :D

Last edited:

Back