News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

TTC: St. Clair Streetcar Right Of Way

Hundreds of pedestrians walk on downtown Bloor Street, but these shop owners mean to tell us that the removal of a dozen parking spaces killed their business? Give me a break.

I'm betting it's just a season downturn in business.
Here's the article again: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-concerned-about-bloor-bike-lanes-impact.html

It's not the daytime owners are concerned with. It's the evenings and in winter where there is a lot less foot traffic. This is Korean town, not Yorkville we're talking about. The area does have significantly less people during certain times. E.g. After sunset where less people feel safe walking on side streets to their parked cars or walking 5 minutes in the cold or rainy weather.

I do believe bike lanes are good for the area. Eventually all the shops would turn into businesses that depend more of bikes and pedestrians. The current ones can just move out.

Here's the article again: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-concerned-about-bloor-bike-lanes-impact.html

It's not the daytime owners are concerned with. It's the evenings and in winter where there is a lot less foot traffic. This is Korean town, not Yorkville we're talking about. The area does have significantly less people during certain times. E.g. After sunset where less people feel safe walking on side streets to their parked cars or walking 5 minutes in the cold or rainy weather.

I do believe bike lanes are good for the area. Eventually all the shops would turn into businesses that depend more of bikes and pedestrians. The current ones can just move out.
You make it seem like Bloor St is a ghost town in the evenings and winter. This definitely isn't the case.

Maybe this thread should be renamed
ST. CLAIR AVENUE WEST AREA TRANSPORTATION MASTER PLAN

From this link:

Public Event #2
Attend a public event to learn more about the study recommendations and provide feedback. Comments will be accepted until July 8, 2018.

• Saturday June 23, 2018. The Symes, 150 Symes Road, 1 – 3 p.m
  • Monday June 25, 2018. Joseph J. Piccininni Community Centre, 1369 St. Clair West, 6 – 8:30 p.m.
Venues are wheelchair accessible. Please contact the City to arrange for any accommodations three business days in advance of the public event.

Display Panels at this link.

The recommended package of improvements is:
• Widen St. Clair Ave W. between Keele St & Old Weston Rd
• Extend Gunns Rd from Weston Rd to Union St
• Extend Keele St to meet Gunns Rd
• Extend Davenport Rd to meet the improved Union St

This package improves network capacity in both the east-west and north-south directions while improving safety for pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and transit through the study area.

These improvements provide new routes to the SmartTrack station for multiple TTC routes and will further improveaccess to public transit.

upload_2018-6-22_17-22-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-22_17-22-25.png
    upload_2018-6-22_17-22-25.png
    925.1 KB · Views: 590
The article says:

Is this because of the on street parking?
Yes and No. There are areas where you can only get one lane of traffic in, while other areas need left hand turning lanes. The rest have street parking with a few spots allowing no parking at all.

Its the standard line of crap that divers will stop at the doors of business when most traffic is driving through the area. How many cars can park in front of a business??

If one spends time looking at various business, it not car driven, but walk-in, transit riders and cycles who are the driving force.

I live in the area, and personally, I don't know of anyone that is complaining about the ROW anymore. It's definitely injected some life into the area. Hopefully the other LRT lines will have the same effect.
Here comes the argument that the St Clair ROW is not a LRT, but is a Streetcar in a dedicated ROW, mainly because of the stop spacing and in turn travel speed.

I have regularly visited a friend in this area over many years, and St. Clair is vastly better now than it was before the LRT. The businesses are far more vibrant, there are more residential buildings, and the street seems more alive.
Absolutely agree, the old St Clair was quite run-down and it new is much better. As similar things have happened elsewhere in the City I suspect all of this cannot be attributed to the ROW but it certainly helped - even if the construction period was clearly the final kiss of death for some older businesses.

Absolutely agree, the old St Clair was quite run-down and it new is much better. As similar things have happened elsewhere in the City I suspect all of this cannot be attributed to the ROW but it certainly helped - even if the construction period was clearly the final kiss of death for some older businesses.

If the old businesses didn't set up a reserve fund to handle the downturn during the construction of the right-of-way, it can be the kiss of death for them. As is along Eglinton Avenue and Finch Avenue West during their construction of the LRT. Build a reserve fund, just in case.

Is there evidence that construction killed businesses, as opposed to the collateral damage of the beneficial effects of the streetcar enhancements (sorry, I’m not gonna call this LRT) on development? The new trackbed enhanced the potential of the street, so commercial rents rose. And/or, the landlords terminated leases so they could vacate and demolish the existing buildings for redevelopment?

I’m betting that Eglinton will see redevelopment in spades, and many businesses will lose their locations due to demolition and replacement with higher-rent space. If Mammo were using his brain, he might realise that demanding a subway is the kiss of death for his supporters.

- Paul

I don't think one can discount the impact of construction on businesses. I frequent several businesses on Eglinton near Yonge, and it's obvious that customer traffic is down quite a bit. (This area may be a special case, because of how extensive, lengthy, disruptive, and unpredictable the construction has been.)

Back