News   Apr 19, 2024
 233     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 909     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.4K     2 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

We should have toll-free expressways for commercial trucks, buses, and delivery vans. The private use trucks and automobiles should have to pay a toll to use them.

Off-street parking (garages and lots) are needed, while delivery vehicles should have stopping zones away from the arterial roads for them to use for free, within a time limit. A laneway for deliveries would be preferred.
I think we share some common thoughts about better transit, less cars, less traffic generally…many of the thoughts that are expressed in these forums. However i believe that further thought and input on the logistics and mechanics of delivery and pickup from parcels to pallet loads, from bicycle couriers to 53 footers, should be talked about. It is useful to discuss an implementation strategy re the use of laneways and delivery stopping zones, but there can be significant challenges in implementation, and those challenges would need to be overcome in order to ensure a cost effective and viable system of moving goods around.

Evidence based transit funding = extended Sheppard subway. I’m guessing when he says evidence what he means is votes. Votes based transit funding for the win.

I think when Matlow is referring to the provincial subway extension he's talking about the Scarborough subway. He doesn't say anything about extending Sheppard.

I think it is a hilarious joke to think that Josh Matlow would ever even consider extending the Sheppard Subway, even if somehow magically it were a free extension. For the love of anything good in the universe, I hope that Josh Matlow never becomes Mayor. Not just because of his ridiculous transit plans over the years and his efforts to block any subway plan that has ever come up in existence, but also because he just sucks overall as a councillor and a candidate and has messed up policies throughout the board.

I think it is a hilarious joke to think that Josh Matlow would ever even consider extending the Sheppard Subway, even if somehow magically it were a free extension. For the love of anything good in the universe, I hope that Josh Matlow never becomes Mayor. Not just because of his ridiculous transit plans over the years and his efforts to block any subway plan that has ever come up in existence, but also because he just sucks overall as a councillor and a candidate and has messed up policies throughout the board.
Subways are provincial now.

Not really. They don't have some kind of monopoly over subways just because they decided to build four projects. The city can create its own projects.
The city has to find the funding for any subway project it wants to do, which means cap in hand to the province and feds.

The province has its own subway plan, why would it back the city of Toronto's, especially after it did so much to wrestle control of these current projects?

The current extensions are, and I think Sheppard East. But the restrictions are very limited and specific. Nothing is stopping TTC extending Line 2 west. Or even Line 4 west. Or even building Line 7. For example.
Funding is. Toronto has very limited revenue tools that it is allowed to use.

Nothing is stopping TTC extending Line 2 west. Or even Line 4 west. Or even building Line 7. For example.
Not really. They don't have some kind of monopoly over subways just because they decided to build four projects. The city can create its own projects.
When you don't bring a dime to the table, you're not really in a position to dictate anything. As long as we're spending a fortune on policing and Gardiner nonsense while refusing to discuss new revenues tools like parking levy, congestion charges (bypassing the province vetoing tolls on Gardiner & DVP, raising taxes (far too low) and other - we're getting what we deserve.

If the city started to bring their share of capital costs and was backed by the Feds, the province would be more inclined to listen and a discussion about subsidizing transit annually could start to make sense to higher level of government. As of now, they will keep deferring to their talking point about spending massively in capital costs, which is true.

There's a lot things we can change at city level to get there but the political will isn't there.

When you don't bring a dime to the table ...
The city has put two tax surcharges in place to fund such projects (and is being used for the $1 billion+ Bloor-Yonge expansion); the city has already committed to use some of this for Line 7. The special levy property tax levy for the Scarborough Subway Extension and the dedicated City Building property tax levy for priority transit and housing capital projects. Part of the deal when the province took over the SSE, is that the city money would be redirected to Bloor-Yonge, Eglinton East, and the Waterfront LRT.

Yes, they'll need additional federal, and perhaps provincial, funding. But you can't claim that the city has not brought a dime to the table, when there's on the order of $3 billion in revenue being collected this decade.

If they were looking at, say, a Line 2 west extension by one station, this project would surely be a smaller $ project than either of the ones being funded currently.

Back