News   Jul 17, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 620     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

I don't get what you're saying here. Is this supposed to be a jab at 905ers, implying they're all ignorant about transit?

Or are you actually questioning what is almost certainly a true statement?

He means that the term "905ers" includes people who do not live in York Region and so I should not have been using it as a synonym for York Region residents.

I don't get what you're saying here. Is this supposed to be a jab at 905ers, implying they're all ignorant about transit?

Or are you actually questioning what is almost certainly a true statement?

I am a "905er" drive some, use transit some....have never heard of zone 1.

If, as I presume, it is a creature of York region's transit system, I am very comfortable in my original statement as most 905ers do not live there. York region's population is far less than Peel region's and I think some people live in Durham. ;)

Last edited:
I am a "905er" drive some, use transit some....have never heard of zone 1.

If, as I presume, it is a creature of York region's transit system, I am very comfortable in my original statement as most 905ers do not live there. York region's population is far less than Peel region's and I think some people live in Durham. ;)

System map from 1957 shows zone 1 as the inner most circle. Zones 2 and 3 were later combined before finally disappearing. When the zones disappeared, it also was the last time the TTC made a profit.

rg1957.jpg

For other maps, click on this link to download and view.

Last edited:
System map from 1957 shows zone 1 as the inner most circle. Zones 2 and 3 were later combined before finally disappearing. When the zones disappeared, it also was the last time the TTC made a profit.

Almost positive that is not the "zone 1" that leopetrand reaperexpress are/were referring too....but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Almost positive that is not the "zone 1" that reaperexpress is/was referring to....but I could be wrong.

When I read the statement I was thinking "the majority of York Region residents who commute to 416 are in zone 1". That would be true, given that the vast majority of York Region lives in YRT's south zone.

Of course I totally forgot the entire rest of the 905, so there's the source of my confusion.

York Region has three fare zones: South York Region (Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill, Stoufville), a second one covering Newmarket/Aurora/East Gwillimbury and one covering Georgina (Keswick/Sutton). There's a overlap between the south and central fare zones covering Oak Ridges and King City.

My guess this is the "Zone 1" referred to above. To make things more confusing, the TTC still sometimes refers to their routes north of Steeles and the 58 Malton past the airport as in "Zone 3" for fare purposes, even though the Zones 1 and 2 system was abolished nearly 40 years ago.

The 1957 map shows zones 3 and 4 also within Metro, by the 1960s, there were just zones 1 and 2 within Metro, beyond was zone 3.

Last edited:
When I read the statement I was thinking "the majority of York Region residents who commute to 416 are in zone 1". That would be true, given that the vast majority of York Region lives in YRT's south zone.

Of course I totally forgot the entire rest of the 905, so there's the source of my confusion.

Yeah, it has (accidently) become a bigger deal than intended....I was just pointing out that there are a fair number of 905 commuters (including me) that had no idea there is a zone 1.....time to move on! :)

York Region has three fare zones: South York Region (Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill, Stoufville), a second one covering Newmarket/Aurora/East Gwillimbury and one covering Georgina (Keswick/Sutton). There's a overlap between the south and central fare zones covering Oak Ridges and King City.

My guess this is the "Zone 1" referred to above.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I think it was actually even more wrong that discussed so far. YRT/Viva has a bunch of stuff talking about 1-zone and 2-zone travel, but because I never travel north of Markham, I incorrectly reversed "1-zone" into "zone 1" in my head even though that term is probably meant to apply to travel within a single zone rather than numbering the zones.

If the TTC had kept the zones system from 1957, the Sheppard Subway would have been a Zone 2 line from Yonge to Don Mills/Victoria Park. In other words, an extra fare. Going beyond Victoria Park would have required another extra fare.

rg1957.jpg

By 1962, there were only two zones, but still no Sheppard East bus.

guide1962.jpg

By 1965, there was finally a Sheppard East bus, entirely in Zone 2.

guide1965.gif

Last edited:
Funny how an originally all private project is now just 10-30% so, and only after an additional $10M from the public.

I would think that would stick a fork in this idea. I suppose it depends on how committed Ford really is to a Sheppard extension, or whether that was just convenient posturing that he can now abandon as too costly.

Considering all the noises about a "staged" extension, it is probably done even before this report is released. That said, extended it to Vic Park might not be such a bad idea in the short term.

AoD

Back