News   Jul 15, 2024
 625     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 773     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 603     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

Would it be possible to widen the existing bridge and run the trains down the middle? There's a bridge like that in Rome that works very well.

Would it be possible to widen the existing bridge and run the trains down the middle? There's a bridge like that in Rome that works very well.

No.

The bridge was never design for this and you would have to rebuild it.

Also, the last I heard, MTO didn't want the subway on this bridge and wanted to see a subway bridge only. Can't interfer with traffic here as its already a bottle neck area.

No.

The bridge was never design for this and you would have to rebuild it.

Also, the last I heard, MTO didn't want the subway on this bridge and wanted to see a subway bridge only. Can't interfer with traffic here as its already a bottle neck area.

Too bad they didn't build the bridge Prince Edward Viaduct style. That would have definitely come in handy.

The bridge where Sheppard West crosses the West Don at Earl Bales Park just east of Bathurst? What's that got to do with MTO? Or did I miss something here.

He won't be. If it's ever built, it'll be on the public dime and on somebody else's watch, in the 2020s at least.

Oh, and what Ford's done is make it an either-or choice between Sheppard and the DCL.

Ballooning costs vs very limited governmental budgets.

Recall that:
  • the feds have the biggest deficit in Canadian history to contend with and won't be ready to start spending money again until 2015 at least
  • whenever the feds do have big money to spend again, the current government is of the tax-cuts-over-government-spending variety, which will more than likely limit the amounts they have to spend overall
  • the province is maxed out and is already plowing all its allocated transit money into Eglinton under the firm understanding that with Sheppard the Fords go it alone
  • Even if Hudak takes office, he already has a $10 bn hole in his budget numbers and won't have billions to throw on ideological vanity project bailouts until around the end of the decade
  • the city won't seriously pursue the revenue tools required to fund this line until another mayor is sworn in, in either 2014 or 2018
  • as we draw closer to 2020, intensification along the DCL catchment area will inexorably increase while the BD and Yonge lines meet and eventually surpass capacity
  • the DCL still is planned to be the big development of the 2020s and will likely cost $10-18 bn
  • the projected costs of Sheppard, as with any large-scale transit project, will only increase with the passage of time

Politics is always about choices, and it's not difficult to see that just if/when Shep gets ready to go it collides with the window for building the DCR. So unfortunately what you get is an either-or choice since the costs of doing both simultaneously -- given how dependent on the public dime they'll be -- will be astronomical.

Basically I think the Fords screwed themselves on this one when they refused the province's $2 bn offer in exchange for keeping Eglinton East as a ROW.

Last edited:
  • the feds have the biggest deficit in Canadian history to contend with and won't be ready to start spending money again until 2015 at least
  • It was only about $36 billion last year (fiscal year ending March 2011), and is forecast to be $32.3 billion this year.

I haven't checked, but I seem to recall it being larger numbers during some of the Mulroney years ... and that's before accounting for inflation and GDP growth.

How do you figure the deficit is the biggest in history?

It was only about $36 billion last year (fiscal year ending March 2011), and is forecast to be $32.3 billion this year.

I haven't checked, but I seem to recall it being larger numbers during some of the Mulroney years ... and that's before accounting for inflation and GDP growth.

How do you figure the deficit is the biggest in history?

Well let me see.....

I figure the Harper deficit is the biggest in Canadian history because the Harper deficit is the biggest in Canadian history:

Here's a crazy, wildly out-there idea: maybe you should just try doing a little basic research so that you can come to the table with substantive points.

Better luck next time, buddy. And happy reading.

Last edited:
It is the highest deficit and if they cut taxes some more they can really rack up a huge deficit to use to justify being miserly. Combine that with some frivolous spending in Muskoka and they will be able to sell people on the government not being trustworthy with their money. The platform really sells itself. Give examples of government waste rather than finding true efficiencies, pretend that the government can't be efficient despite basically running a large corporation and being the members of the board that could fix it, and lower taxes to end up with budgets that prove the government is broke. Brilliant.

It is the highest deficit and if they cut taxes some more they can really rack up a huge deficit to use to justify being miserly. Combine that with some frivolous spending in Muskoka and they will be able to sell people on the government not being trustworthy with their money. The platform really sells itself. Give examples of government waste rather than finding true efficiencies, pretend that the government can't be efficient despite basically running a large corporation and being the members of the board that could fix it, and lower taxes to end up with budgets that prove the government is broke. Brilliant.

Yep, and I'm convinced that they're running the exact same plan regarding the Senate.

Toronto1, your analysis is correct -- what you're essentially getting at is the deficit to GDP ratio -- but what's interesting is that even this government's most natural media allies, the Posties, aren't cutting them any slack in this department.

Well let me see.....

I figure the Harper deficit is the biggest in Canadian history because the Harper deficit is the biggest in Canadian history:

Ottawa recorded a record US$55.6-billion deficit in the 2009-10 fiscal year. Finance Minister Jim Flaherty expects the shortfall to narrow to US$45.4-billion for the 12-month period ending March 31. (Financial Post, February 23, 2011)

Here's a crazy, wildly out-there idea: maybe you should just try doing a little basic research so that you can come to the table with substantive points.

Better luck next time, buddy. And happy reading.

Did you read what you wrote, or were you too busy high-fiving yourself?

He pointed out the projected deficit for this fiscal year is $32 billion. The Mulroney government's deficit maxed out at $42 billion in nominal terms.

The current year deficit is 2% of GDP, whereas Mulroney's largest was almost 6% of GDP.

Well let me see.....

2009-10 may have been the largest deficit ever ... but that was two fiscal years ago. We are currently in the 2011-2012 fiscal year, and you said " feds have the biggest deficit in Canadian history to contend with ". If you were referring to two previous fiscal years ago, you should have used the past tense, rather than the present tense. Even the deficit 2 years ago was far below the Mulroney deficits in terms of real $ or GDP.

Hang on ... you are blaming me for you inability to correctly use the English language?

There is absolutely no reason to be so hostile and rude. You were 100% wrong on this, and you should be apolgising for your extreme rudeness.

Last edited:

Back