News   Jul 19, 2024
 266     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

What about the proposed Eglinton/STC LRT extension to Malvern or atleast Sheppard?

The original plan had the conversion of the SRT tied in with an extension to Sheppard. The extension had been cut under the modified, fully tunnelled plan. It has been reinstated.

I guess there will be as many stops as TC proposed?.....I hope not. The people along Finch and Sheppard will definately be getting a more comfortable, pleasant, reliable system than they have now with higher capacity and a chance to actually get a seat all great things. It will be a real improvement over the transit service they have now. It will, however, not really cut their commuting time at all.

Everything is as it was prior to Mayor Ford taking office.

The simple reality is that there is no such thing as a rpaid transit system that stops every 2 to 3 blocks, has to wait for red lights {signal priority looks great on videos but unless it's complete priority like CTrain or Edm LRT then their effectiveness is limited}, and wait for left hand turns at lights. POP helps but the reality is that suburban Torontonians are getting improved transit but not at all rapid. I think Torontonians will be impressed the service itself but let down by the fact that after years of construction their commute is nearly as long as it waas before.

Have you actually ever taken LRT elsewhere? The C-Train most definitely does stop at lights, as do many other LRT systems around the world. That said, there definitely does need to be an improvement to the signal priority here in Toronto, but for the LRT lines that can be dealt with closer to their openings.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Since they will be studying for a Subway (alternatively an underground LRT using Catenary-Free Technology for power, like Primove), I would propose that there be stations at Senlac Road, Bathurst Street, Wilmington Avenue/Wilson Heights Blvd., and Dufferin Street/W.R.Allen Road.

It is really the only option, it must be a subway or Sheppard will become so disconnected that people will avoid it.

It is really the only option, it must be a subway or Sheppard will become so disconnected that people will avoid it.
I'm curious what's going to make people shy away from Sheppard with an LRT stuck on the end, compared to now, with a bus that takes about 5 minutes to get to from the bowels of Don Mills station?

You have to watch this video on youtube as its too funny regarding Hitler view on Ford Subway.
[video=youtube;7BrsbAVNrIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7BrsbAVNrIU[/video]

Smallspy........of course I have taken LRT namely the CTrain and Edmonton LRT both of which are excellent systems. They are fast, comfortable, reliable, frequent, and safe........the hallmarks of great transit. Contrary to what many on these threads think, I am a supporter of LRT and have ALWAYS been a supporter of TC and yes you really did read that right.
LRT offers excellent service at a much more affordable price than subway but as with everything the devil is in the details. I always thought TC was a good idea {although I always did have a problem with not having the Sheppard LRT going straight to STC and extending Jane further south to connect with the Waterfront LRT line} but it was the execution of the system itself that I always had a problem with.
TC never really decided what it wanted to be........it wanted to improve local service and at the same time provide rapid transit to suburban areas. Newsflash, there is no such thing. You cannot expect a sytem to be both local and rapid and stopping every 2 to 3 blocks {300 meters} is local service. As far as light priority, that is a farce. It can work when trains run every 10 minutes but when they are going to run every 3 minutes from each direction then signal priority becomes nearly impossible especially when they have to wait for left turn signals for cars. TC should be stopping at major intersections averaging about one per km. Anyone who will not walk 500 meters to get to a rapid transit line wouldn't take transit even if they had a subway station across the street.
As far as Eglinton is concerned, I happen to agree with Ford to an extent. I wouuld never bury the section from DM to Kennedy but elevated it and save hundreds of millions. Operational costs on Eglinton have now skyrocketed as that samll section means the line can no longer be automated.
W.K. is also right on the money by using the new Primose cateary free system. It is built be Bombardier {which we all know is a prerequisite in Toronto and Montreal}, doesn't have the visual intrusion but also would save Toronto more money and a lot more time.
I understand the system is more expensive than the standard system but would still be a huge money saver for Toronto....why? Because much of the expense and time needed to revamp the SRT section is due to having to redo all the stations to "raise the roof" to accomodate the caterary lines. An obscene waste of time and money. By using Primose system the line will not to have all the cateary lines constructed and there will be very little needed to be done to the stations themselves except new tracks.
It would also be very logical for Sheppard for a Western extension from Yonge to Downsview. When it is eventually given funds it will have to be subway or an LRT by switching the Stubway over to LRT to make Sheppard one long LRT line.
That will cost a king's ransom and take forever due to having to create space above the trains for the LRT cateray poles but that would not be required for Primose.
I think the local businesses along all three routes would be more willing to embrace LRT is there was as little visual intrusion on their business areas and not having LRT poles creating a visual and phycological impediment for those accessing their business.

The Subway platforms are hollow. The following photos are from the construction of the Yonge Subway, showing Queen station construction.

s0381_fl0062_id7085-1.jpg

s0381_fl0081_id7458-1.jpg

s0381_fl0081_id7458-2.jpg

s0381_fl0081_id7458-3.jpg

s0381_fl0081_id7458-5.jpg

s0381_fl0082_id7467-3.jpg

You can see the platforms being formed in these photos.

s0381_fl0102_id7952-2.jpg

s0381_fl0125_id8251-9.jpg

s0381_fl0107_id8008-1.jpg

Completed platforms.

s0381_fl0145_id8726-1.jpg

s0381_fl0145_id8726-2.jpg

Remember that the Sheppard stations are roughed in for 6-car Subway trains, but finished for only 4-car trains. They could start lowering the platforms for the unused parts of the stations, to shorten the time for reconstruction from high-floor platforms to low-floor platforms.

Last edited:
Remember that the Sheppard stations are roughed in for 6-car Subway trains, but finished for only 4-car trains. They could start lowering the platforms for the unused parts of the stations, to shorten the time for reconstruction from high-floor platforms to low-floor platforms.

For conversion to LRT? How about the option of raising the train tracks in the station, though there's always the problem of entering the tunnel afterwards, though...

Back