News   May 03, 2024
 440     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 161     0 

TTC: Public Art — Apathy or Abuse?

The CBC ran a story yesterday about covering up works of art for advertising. I oppose it because the idea behind Sliding Pi is that the pattern is ever changing and never repeats itself. You're supposed to be able to see all of it. The area that's covered up is one of the most important parts of the mural. The artist was saddened to know that the part of the mural beneath the skylight was covered up. Surprisingly, she was only paid $5000 to design it, but she created something spectacular. The construction cost of the mural is not specified in the article.

It sets a bad precedent. The TTC could cover up the popular mosaic murals at Dupont's platform level because the prominence of the high-ceiling part of the platform and lighting would make them visible. Or perhaps wrap giant Listerine bottles and other marketing novelties around the columns at Museum Station. It's disrespectful to the investment made to commission the artwork for everyone's enjoyment. With so many ordinary walls and floors in the system, the TTC could implement a policy to never cover up public art with advertising and still make more money with advertising deals.

The CBC ran a story yesterday about covering up works of art for advertising. I oppose it because the idea behind Sliding Pi is that the pattern is ever changing and never repeats itself. You're supposed to be able to see all of it. The area that's covered up is one of the most important parts of the mural. The artist was saddened to know that the part of the mural beneath the skylight was covered up. Surprisingly, she was only paid $5000 to design it, but she created something spectacular. The construction cost of the mural is not specified in the article.

It sets a bad precedent. The TTC could cover up the popular mosaic murals at Dupont's platform level because the prominence of the high-ceiling part of the platform and lighting would make them visible. Or perhaps wrap giant Listerine bottles and other marketing novelties around the columns at Museum Station. It's disrespectful to the investment made to commission the artwork for everyone's enjoyment. With so many ordinary walls and floors in the system, the TTC could implement a policy to never cover up public art with advertising and still make more money with advertising deals.
I really hope that the streetcar murals at Eglinton West station don't get covered with garish advertising once Line 5 opens.

Likewise, I don't want the hockey murals at College station replaced with ads for hockey equipment.

Back