News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 677     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I support the "Let's Not Completely Eliminate Every Single Interesting Aspect Of Our City, The Likes Of Which Are Already Extremely Scarce To Begin With" platform.

Think of how many luxury condos you could build in High Park, or in the downtown tourist area around the CN Tower, Ripley's, and Toronto Railway Museum (there's those damn foamers again! How dare they have heritage trains when we need housing luxury investments for speculators!). All the waterfront parks, the Toronto Islands, the Evergreen Brick Works, Sunnybrook Park, Rouge Park...

Iirc they said up to 2 years for full service
The question is when Rogers customers would be able to access the existing infrastructure. Mobile is available in all stations and the downtown tunnels already - Rogers could quickly turn that one, even before the deal with BAI closes.

Now that all TTC streetcar routes are pantograph compatible (and some are restricted to pantographs only), I assume it is only a matter of time before the TTC removes the poles on the existing fleet. One assumes it would be a simple thing to do as it was anticipated (or should have been!)

Now that all TTC streetcar routes are pantograph compatible (and some are restricted to pantographs only), I assume it is only a matter of time before the TTC removes the poles on the existing fleet. One assumes it would be a simple thing to do as it was anticipated (or should have been!)
Likely the 60 additional new streetcars will only have pantographs.

Now about retrofitting the relic Peter Witts, PCCs, and CLRVs to pantographs. The CLRVs were tested using pantographs, when new.
clrvwithpantographrfc.jpg
From link.
clrvsatsig_19770629_jfb_w.jpg

Likely the 60 additional new streetcars will only have pantographs.

Now about retrofitting the relic Peter Witts, PCCs, and CLRVs to pantographs. The CLRVs were tested using pantographs, when new.
clrvwithpantographrfc.jpg
From link.
clrvsatsig_19770629_jfb_w.jpg
It has already been confirmed that the new order - which will start arriving late this year or early 2024 - will NOT have poles. My question was when the TTC will remove the poles from the 204 we have now. (Of course, before you point it out!, the original order was only supposed to have poles on the first 50 or 60 cars but, as can be expected, the TTC did not get their act together about the totally new overhead they required!)

The question is when Rogers customers would be able to access the existing infrastructure. Mobile is available in all stations and the downtown tunnels already - Rogers could quickly turn that one, even before the deal with BAI closes.

That deal was supposed to close near the end of April. Rogers should have complete control over the BAI Canada network at this point.

I support the "Let's Not Completely Eliminate Every Single Interesting Aspect Of Our City, The Likes Of Which Are Already Extremely Scarce To Begin With" platform.

Think of how many luxury condos you could build in High Park, or in the downtown tourist area around the CN Tower, Ripley's, and Toronto Railway Museum (there's those damn foamers again! How dare they have heritage trains when we need housing luxury investments for speculators!). All the waterfront parks, the Toronto Islands, the Evergreen Brick Works, Sunnybrook Park, Rouge Park...

You can always head up to Downsview. In the meantime - Davisville and Greeenwood should be built atop.

AoD

Exposed, grubby railway infrastructure is an interesting public space which must be preserved? What an odd take lol.
Whenever I pass by the yard I always see at least a few people peering over and seeing what's going on, and many families with small children seem quite delighted at it. It's not a treasured public space like High Park, but it's definitely something unique and interesting, and it's something that gives the city character. I know it's hard to recognize that because most of it was razed to build far uglier things 40-60 years ago.

So it of course makes sense that the unimaginative city planners want to make it go away. Meanwhile, all the single family neighbourhoods immediately around Yonge Street must be left alone because reasons.

^Can’t see those working with a Flexity. Just divert the service until the fire is out.

Having watched 14 of Waterloo Region's 15 ION vehicles ramped down from their delivery flatbeds, I can't see any reason why a hose ramp wouldn't work with a Flexity. I doubt the modern TTC would ever go for them, but that's more a matter of politics (overly paranoid intersection rules anyone?) than physics.

Reactions: max
So it of course makes sense that the unimaginative city planners want to make it go away. Meanwhile, all the single family neighbourhoods immediately around Yonge Street must be left alone because reasons.

No reason why some sort of “observation portal” couldn’t be designed as part of an interesting public space.

To my mind, my support turns on a) whether the City or TTC get fair value (versus the developer getting the rights cheap and laughing all the way to the bank) and b) does the proposal contain sufficient parkland and public amenities so that it remains an interesting public space, or better.

- Paul

@T3G and @crs1026

A reminder that the Davisville Yard and TTC HQ redevelopment project is still 'pre-feasibility' and in the hands of CreateTO; and that we have a dedicated thread for discussing that.

I've linked page 3 in the thread where slides from the most recent presentation are laid out which provide the concept which is now being analyzed for feasibility, and financial viability.

Speaking of subway yards, sounds like there was a serious accident this morning at Greenwood.
Toronto police said the incident happened at around 8:40 a.m. Sunday at the yard near Greenwood and Felstead Avenues.
A spokesperson for the Toronto fire told The Star the TTC employee was pinned between a subway car and another object after the train rolled back. The worker was extricated by firefighters and then rushed to a hospital.
There seems to be very little news out yet beyond that.

The TTC now reporting the employee has been discharged from hospital and is at home.
Media reporting he was in his 70's, which probably means he is very well known in the organisation as I doubt they have many people on staff that old.

Back