News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 405     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Personally speaking, I find the Azur seats to be horrendous and horrible to sit on, but that's beside the point.

Remember that these aren't trains, there are busses which are bumpier and are prone to stopping far more suddenly than the REM or Metro. As such any discomfort one might experience on an Azur and significantly amplified. I have ridden on the St. Catherines busses before, never again.
TTC bus drivers must be the worst in the world seriously.. It doesn't help to the discomfort feeling.

I remember TTC testing plastic seats in the subway. They used a pair of H6s and switched out the padded vinyl inserts with plastic ones.

I want to say there were still a couple TTC buses with the brown cushioned bench seats up to 2006 or so. I have a photo I took of one somewhere.

The GMs that I remember with the thick cushioned seats were the former STCUM buses from Montreal. They were ugly but comfy.

The STCUM buses also had the weird red paddle doors that would open the back doors when pushed. Though they were on the 35 Jane for a while (which didn’t have a fare-paid subway terminal where the rear doors would open to let passengers on), they found their way to the 96 and 165 routes. They were my favourite buses to ride when I lived up in Downsview.

The GMs that I remember with the thick cushioned seats were the former STCUM buses from Montreal. They were ugly but comfy.

The STCUM buses also had the weird red paddle doors that would open the back doors when pushed. Though they were on the 35 Jane for a while (which didn’t have a fare-paid subway terminal where the rear doors would open to let passengers on), they found their way to the 96 and 165 routes. They were my favourite buses to ride when I lived up in Downsview.
Yeah I liked those buses too. In Scarborough, there were a handful of GMs original to TTC that were rebuilt. They kept their cushioned bench seats, but they were reupholstered in brown like the ex-STCUM buses.

A friend passed on this photo today. Don’t know who took it. It shows the T1 mock up interior (H5 #5796). Seats appear to have fibreglass inserts.

A9392CF6-8D2E-426F-ACB2-BF446B9B750B.jpeg

Last edited:

The other interesting thing about those buses is that they were easy to tell from outside since they have that extra glass window running across the top of the bus. I believe they didn't last long since because they were to a different spec, the mechanics would struggle with maintenance due to their documentation being entirely in French, but I'm not 100% on that. Those were some comfortable bus rides however.

Apparently the TTC is planning for a worst csse scenario relating to staffing after the vaccine deadline.

They are calling retirees seeing if they want to return to work to relieve staffing issues.

My father and his friends (retired operators) are getting calls asking if they want to return to work short term.

Apparently the TTC is planning for a worst csse scenario relating to staffing after the vaccine deadline.

They are calling retirees seeing if they want to return to work to relieve staffing issues.

My father and his friends (retired operators) are getting calls asking if they want to return to work short term.
Can see proof of all vaccinations being a requirement for new recruits, for any and all positions.

The other interesting thing about those buses is that they were easy to tell from outside since they have that extra glass window running across the top of the bus. I believe they didn't last long since because they were to a different spec, the mechanics would struggle with maintenance due to their documentation being entirely in French, but I'm not 100% on that. Those were some comfortable bus rides however.
They didn't last long because they were already old by the time they got to Toronto - they had run for about 18 years in Montréal by that point.

As for maintenance, they were the exact same underneath - save for the slight change in location for the gear shift, and the rear door actuation - as each of the other New Look buses still in service with the TTC at that point. They were no better or no worse than any of the TTC's other ones.

Dan

Back