News   May 02, 2024
 793     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 233     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 312     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Apologies,

I took Line 2 between Warden and VP yesterday after a long time, and to my utter horror, I saw how the TTC had installed track lighting on that open ”railroad” stretch.

The job they did looks utterly atrocious. They just cut the (edit: 55) year-old fence in sections to make room for lamp posts. Why they even used ”standard” Toronto streetlights for this section is strange. The short poles really don’t need that long of an ”arm”.

They should’ve just replaced the fence/posts, and strung downward-facing lights from a horizontal wire. This just looks incredibly poorly done.

Last edited:
But 911 is not available in all stations or tunnels now, ...
I'm yet to encounter a station where Freedom doesn't work - for years! (unlike the wi-fi, which does seem a bit flakey from time-to-time in stations)

I'd assume then, that 9-1-1 has been working in all stations for many years.

Ok, I'll just use all of the other ways of calling people on data, like Discord, or Teams, or literally any other communications service that relies on the internet rather than cellular.

But there's already wifi. The only things I can think of, that you can't already do over the existing free wifi, that 5G in tunnels will enable are voice calls, and live streaming. If you disallow these two things, it defeats the purpose.

My phone connects to the available Wi-Fi when the train pulls into each station, so I can still read the news, send texts, stream low-quality video, etc... albeit with a bit of a delay...

My dislike for voice communication notwithstanding - it is more about me using my own data without having to worry about connecting to wifi and sporadic nature of station-dependent access.

Good lord, I do not want to hear people face timing back home overseas at 6am on my train. People who FaceTime are the worst and have complete disregard that everyone else on the train can hear them yapping about. They do it on the bus and it’s usually a more than one person at the same time.

I am afraid you can't have your cake and eat it too, and it is way too much to expect (much less hope for) a Japanese level of self-restraint/etiquette from our citizens.

AoD

Good lord, I do not want to hear people face timing back home overseas at 6am on my train. People who FaceTime are the worst and have complete disregard that everyone else on the train can hear them yapping about. They do it on the bus and it’s usually a more than one person at the same time.
That's why noise-canceling headphones are your best friend.

That's why noise-canceling headphones are your best friend.
Why should I have to wear headphones to not have to listen to ppl yap on their phone that can be heard from one end of the vehicle to the other??

I guess we need to move to implant phone devices so some of us not have to listen to one sided conversations or the conversation in the first place.

The phone has nothing to do with any of this...If it were 2 people having a lively conversation would it be any different? Or kids?
Generally two people talking in a public space or aware if they are being loud or if the conversation is appropriate, when one person is on the phone a lot of that context goes out the window!

The funny part is I also find at least on miway the connection quality seems to be bad so people are nearly yelling to talk 😂

Generally two people talking in a public space or aware if they are being loud or if the conversation is appropriate, when one person is on the phone a lot of that context goes out the window!

The funny part is I also find at least on miway the connection quality seems to be bad so people are nearly yelling to talk 😂
I find it the opposite to the point I have sat across or near a person having a conversation and can't hear what been said. There are ppl regardless which system I am on you will find them speaking in a loud voice, not because of service.

Some ppl have no respect for those around them, You will run in to ppl watching a video, movie or a program as well listening to music with no headset on them.

Why should I have to wear headphones to not have to listen to ppl yap on their phone that can be heard from one end of the vehicle to the other??

I guess we need to move to implant phone devices so some of us not have to listen to one sided conversations or the conversation in the first place.
In a perfect world, yes, you shouldn't have to, but good luck trying to enforce peace and quiet. Public behaviour has shifted since the advent of social media. Common courtesy and respect have dropped dramatically, and there's no shame anymore.

That's why I suggested technology as a solution to those (like myself) who find this extremely bothersome. The public decorum enjoyed by past generations is not coming back, so no point in complaining about it when alternatives are available.

Last edited:
Common courtesy and respect has dropped dramatically, and there's no shame anymore.

"Kids these days" says one of the UT dads, LOL.

I don't find the above to be true overall; I still see people holding doors and some folks, including teens offering up their seat on transit to someone elderly, and I hear plenty of please and TY.

The 00's, 90's, '80s etc etc. were not some panacea of very cultured, well mannered people living in harmony, LOL

And the 2020's are not an abomination of depravity. They are, however, one where we're dealing with new technology and socialization around that hasn't fully caught up yet.

The public decorum enjoyed by past generations is not coming back, so no point in complaining about it when alternatives are available.

Again, I think you're overselling this......

Worth adding, culture, including public behavior is always evolving. When we were growing up, construction sites were notorious for workers whistling and sometimes making lewd remarks at any attractive woman walking by. We rarely see this anymore. Said workers were rightly shamed; told that wasn't professional and wouldn't be tolerated on job sites, and over time, it has dropped off as a serious, normative issue.

Likewise, we can evolve how people communicate using phones, by some mixture of education, by parents, by schools, by peers, and by shaming where that alone is not enough. It will take time, but society has dealt w/far greater challenges, it can handle this one.

Last edited:
I hope the TTC will actually force Rogers to work with others for the sake of safety and not use this as an competitive advantage.
i was just about to say what about Bell/Telus? so right now 60% of the commuters are still shafted by draconian technology that "canada's best service provider" is too cheap/lazy to upgrade.

"Kids these days" says one of the UT dads, LOL.

I don't find the above to be true overall; I still see people holding doors and some folks, including teens offering up their seat on transit to someone elderly, and I hear plenty of please and TY.

The 00's, 90's, '80s etc etc. were not some panacea of very cultured, well mannered people living in harmony, LOL

And the 2020's are not an abomination of depravity. They are, however, one where we're dealing with new technology and socialization around that hasn't fully caught up yet.

Again, I think you're overselling this......

Worth adding, culture, including public behavior is always evolving. When we were growing up, construction sites were notorious for workers whistling and sometimes making lewd remarks at any attractive woman walking by. We rarely see this anymore. Said workers were rightly shamed; told that wasn't professional and wouldn't be tolerated on job sites, and over time, it has dropped off as a serious, normative issue.

Likewise, we can evolve how people communicate using phones, by some mixture of education, by parents, by schools, by peers, and by shaming where that alone is not enough. It will take time, but society has dealt w/far greater challenges, it can handle this one.
its more of a NA thing.. in japan people are still being courteous on trains and refraining from loud chatter.

Back