News   Jul 15, 2024
 474     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 629     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 576     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Interesting. According to this, 80% of the $53M increase is for the operation of the Finch W and Crosstown lines (?). Only an additional $10M is going for safety, expansion of the low-income subsidy and inflationary pressures.

I was underwhelmed by Tory’s response to the challenges facing the TTC and I’m even more so now.

What did you expect? Increase service to run empty trains and streetcars while everyone works from home?

I wonder that too. Traffic is as bad as it ever was before the pandemic.
Roads are full because most commuters are drivers now, food delivery, grocery delivery and Ubers. We’ve also discussed the increase in personal car ownership. For car commuters they are either from the burbs or Execs with parking who are insistent on working in office. The transit crowd is wfh. You can see this on the king car. You can see this on the TTC mondays and fridays. You can see this in TRBOT data and TTCs very own data.
Your posts remain disconnected from anything resembling reality.
lol not according to THE DATA. I think people here are just scared their hobby will disappear.

Maybe you have DATA on how office and Commuter traffic will return anytime soon.

Or are we hanging all our hopes on immigration.

Roads are full because most commuters are drivers now, food delivery, grocery delivery and Ubers. We’ve also discussed the increase in personal car ownership. For car commuters they are either from the burbs or Execs with parking who are insistent on working in office. The transit crowd is wfh. You can see this on the king car. You can see this on the TTC mondays and fridays. You can see this in TRBOT data and TTCs very own data.

lol not according to THE DATA. I think people here are just scared their hobby will disappear.

Maybe you have DATA on how office and Commuter traffic will return anytime soon.

Or are we hanging all our hopes on immigration.

Capitalizing the word data, while providing none, does not buttress your wild claims. By contrast, I already posted the actual ridership data for the TTC.

Only 9% of Canadians reporting a hybrid working arrangement in October:
Just under 16% report working entirely remotely.

Those numbers may or may not overlap

Edited, as per @Undead 's reading of the info. Any which way, 'most of us' are not working remotely. The published remote stat for May '21 was 20%, which makes me think its likely in the 16% range today, inclusive, but TBD.

The Federal government has mandated that its employees will return to the office between 40-60% of the time (for those who could and were working remotely)

The banks are doing the same.

Last edited:
NL, are you reporting the data accurately? Your source states 9% work hybrid and a further 15.8% work entirely remotely.

It's unclear whether these stats overlap, but I don't think it's accurate to cite only the 9% figure.

NL, are you reporting the data accurately? Your source states 9% work hybrid and a further 15.8% work entirely remotely.

It's unclear whether these stats overlap, but I don't think it's accurate to cite only the 9% figure.

Good catch. Edited my post accordingly.

I can see downtown companies having its employees return to the office. However, the sick day policy will likely change to "working from home" while sick. May still be able to see an afternoon baseball game, but they will take their laptops with them and "work" between innings.

Capitalizing the word data, while providing none, does not buttress your wild claims. By contrast, I already posted the actual ridership data for the TTC.

Edited, as per @Undead 's reading of the info. Any which way, 'most of us' are not working remotely. The published remote stat for May '21 was 20%, which makes me think its likely in the 16% range today, inclusive, but TBD.

The Federal government has mandated that its employees will return to the office between 40-60% of the time (for those who could and were working remotely)

I wonder how the survey responses were filled? If you're fully WFH there is a larger tax credit so we might be getting false info?

I would also like to point out that TPS is remaining Hybrid for some employees at the new courthouse.

My mother works for TPS at Old City Hall as a clerk and due to unplanned space restrictions they will be staying with the hybrid model they currently have when they move later this year. From my understanding, they are transferring more staff there than originally planned leading to a lack of permanent space.

I would also like to point out that TPS is remaining Hybrid for some employees at the new courthouse.

My mother works for TPS at Old City Hall as a clerk and due to unplanned space restrictions they will be staying with the hybrid model they currently have when they move later this year. From my understanding, they are transferring more staff there than originally planned leading to a lack of permanent space.

Interesting. Also, perhaps, not the best example of space planning.

I just like to bold DATA because I know we love data, not anecdotes here, so I just wanted to make sure we all saw it.

But that's annoying. Anyways, I wouldn't use federalized or national data as we'd be averaging out places where WFH would never work, like the oil sands. That's not our concern.

In Toronto, we are specifically talking about service and knowledge workers, which we know make-up a significant part of our city's economy (this is the City's own data btw). You'll see here: https://financialpost.com/real-estate/mortgages/working-from-home-housing-office-space, that in urban centres, WFH is up to 44% in Ottawa and 35% in Toronto.

Also, the banks aren't as strict as you think. RBC - who is one of the most aggressive - is up to 3-days a week for non-CFO staff and anyone who works in Southcore knows that that still isn't being enforced. Telecom is following soon, we think. Rogers is rumouring 2-days a week for all staff and 4-days for Directors+. But most people just won't show up as they know there is nothing management can do about it as even management doesn't want to come back. As for the tech sector, forget it - they're trying to make all work async.

It's clear from lagging indicators, like decreased foot traffic to abandoned leases to WFH stats to TTC's and GO's own ridership numbers and from leading indicators, like growing employee demands for flex work, to new work philosophies to WFH visa's in other countries that Toronto will have a hard time maintaining the economies of scale needed for their infrastructure to be maintained. This includes transit, which we already see from this budget, is suffering already from this disruption.

I'm actually not even sure what you're defending or arguing against at this point. But again, my original question, was how the TTC should change its investment strategy given the shifts that have occurred. Oh wait, we seem to be trying to deny any disruption is occurring - I remember now.

In my opinion, the TTC isn't going to be able to patchwork service improvements here and there to get out of this one. The TTC was built for commuting, not for leisure or running quick errands as minimum travel time is 30 mins even to go a few blocks. Perhaps more localized bus routes will help match emerging usage patterns, but I'm not sure that'd even work.

Maybe this belongs in the Disruption of Transportation thread, which was mostly about Elon Musk and his useless tunnels, but I think the disruption is here already in the form of WFH and impacting all services.

Back