News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 425     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The new council term starts November 15, 2022. First council meeting is November 22, 2022. Have no idea when the first TTC board meeting is.
I'd think it would be at the discretion of the Board Chair. And as the Striking Committee doesn't sit until November 23 - I'd say mid-December 2022 is the earliest. I'd think looking at the 2018, 2014, and 2010 schedules would give an idea.

I'd think it would be at the discretion of the Board Chair. And as the Striking Committee doesn't sit until November 23 - I'd say mid-December 2022 is the earliest. I'd think looking at the 2018, 2014, and 2010 schedules would give an idea.
Used to be TTC meetings except for the ONE month that election was held in. Have seen single month being "postponed" or "amalgamated" into the following month. Not PLURAL months.

Need a new Chair of the TTC, AND members on the TTC board that actually use the TTC on a regular basis (not photo-ops).

Now.........don't get me wrong, I want to get rid of Rick as much or more than the next person..........

But.....there is a reason he left Boston.........and his country, and took up citizenship here.......... LOL

I 'm sure the Governor would love not to see Rick in this position even though he has cost a lot of mess himself for transit in the first place as well Rick lack of leadership.

If Rick plans on retiring in Canada and depends were he plans on living, he will have an extra 30% income from his retirement funds based on the current US vs Can $$.

Lets hope the mayor and the commission have a real look at the leadership not only at the CEO level, but all levels once a new committee is form by the end of the month.

Lets see some fresh new councilors on the commission if they use transit in the first place as well a Chair who will stand against the mayor to improve TTC and offer better service to the residents/users of TTC

Hello TTC and Other System, why are you not doing this?? It already happening in Europe. Been calling for these types of projects for decades and it also includes Big Box Stores, schools and etc. Cheaper cost to build and better impact for the area.

Potrero Yard Modernization Project Takes Step Forward

Hello TTC and Other System, why are you not doing this?? It already happening in Europe. Been calling for these types of projects for decades and it also includes Big Box Stores, schools and etc. Cheaper cost to build and better impact for the area.

I think the biggest problem with the ones in Toronto is contaminated soil from things being spilled years ago that shouldn't have been things like oil and diesel fuel, which has to be cleaned up before anything new can be built on those sites.

I think the biggest problem with the ones in Toronto is contaminated soil from things being spilled years ago that shouldn't have been things like oil and diesel fuel, which has to be cleaned up before anything new can be built on those sites.
I'd think if it's just petroleum contamination, the value of the land would far exceed the clean-up costs. If they can deal with where the refineries and tank farms were along Cherry Street, where there were massive spills, particularly where that massive fire was, then a yard would be easy.

Should be done to Danforth and make Danforth a bus garage again with strictly EV only buses that can service downtown and the short East York routes.
TTC is looking for another bus garage, yet they have Danforth sitting there and near downtown

Should be done to Danforth and make Danforth a bus garage again with strictly EV only buses that can service downtown and the short East York routes.
TTC is looking for another bus garage, yet they have Danforth sitting there and near downtown

While I agree with you, in theory, the decisions on repurposing Danforth are already done, pretty much, and a bus garage was not factored in.........

I think it was a mistake on the part of the TTC to forsake pretty much all the near-down facilities except for Hillcrest. (for buses).

Lots of needless deadhead time; particularly burdensome when needed for subway shuttle duty.

I think Lakeshore Garage {wheel trans) may end up being a possible intensification site down the road, though its not in an area of the Portlands currently set for mixed use.

As to the next bus garage, the TTC has already acquired that property; but I don't think they've been particularly public about it. They don't until to build it out til post 2030.

They currently have a huge number of buses sitting idle; a number that will only grow when Crosstown and Finch West open as LRTs.

While I agree with you, in theory, the decisions on repurposing Danforth are already done, pretty much, and a bus garage was not factored in.........

I think it was a mistake on the part of the TTC to forsake pretty much all the near-down facilities except for Hillcrest. (for buses).

Lots of needless deadhead time; particularly burdensome when needed for subway shuttle duty.

I think Lakeshore Garage {wheel trans) may end up being a possible intensification site down the road, though its not in an area of the Portlands currently set for mixed use.

As to the next bus garage, the TTC has already acquired that property; but I don't think they've been particularly public about it. They don't until to build it out til post 2030.

They currently have a huge number of buses sitting idle; a number that will only grow when Crosstown and Finch West open as LRTs.
Danforth became a Toronto thing years ago as another lack of vision for future needs. Just like TTC Wychwood yard.

Deadheading is very costly as it can take up to an hour or so each way to get in/out of service. One only has to look at TTC 512 route to see the hour + trip daily

Wheel Tram is to be relocated else where by 2030.

There is 2 locations for TTC new garage with one out in Long Branch area and the other up around the 400/407 area. Then there is the use of the current Wheel Tram site

If one look at the number of buses before COVID, they would had seen a need for more buses to meet the growing demand after the opening of Finch and Eglinton LRT lines. COVID has push that plan down the road with TTC having a lot of extra buses on hand, but don't have the drivers for them.

Since TTC doesn't think out side the box these days and if they did, they should be talking to a developer about building a garage with development on top of it that would be rough in for future needs before 2030. Since TTC will be more ebus system by 2030, there is no need to worry the the residents of the new development regarding diesels flumes.

The shell of the garage would be ready when TTC decided to finish the interior of the shell to make it operational faster than the current way at less cost. The garage doesn't have to be on one floor like it is today, but on 2 or 3 levels. All employees parking underground with a reduce number of spots.

I'd think if it's just petroleum contamination, the value of the land would far exceed the clean-up costs. If they can deal with where the refineries and tank farms were along Cherry Street, where there were massive spills, particularly where that massive fire was, then a yard would be easy.
It's frequently not just hydrocarbon contamination.

The industrial cleaners and degreasers that are used in those kinds of facilities are frequently worse than the hydrocarbons themselves, and more mobile in and around the water table, too. Look up perc/tetrachloroethylene, it's spectacularly nasty stuff to remediate.

Dan

It's frequently not just hydrocarbon contamination.

The industrial cleaners and degreasers that are used in those kinds of facilities are frequently worse than the hydrocarbons themselves, and more mobile in and around the water table, too. Look up perc/tetrachloroethylene, it's spectacularly nasty stuff to remediate.
I've seen the chemistry from multiple similar sites. It's mostly hydrocarbons - some metals and really only some traces of methyl-ethyl-bad-stuff. There's exceptions of course, but they didn't tend to use such quantities - at least in operational locations. Manufacturing can be different. Though it only took one idiot to dump some barrels of PCE or TCE onto the ground - or drain a transformer into an old pit, to mess up an (often mothballed) site. It's not like they made PCE, or had airport fire pits on-site.

It's not like Cherry Street, where I've easily seen a metre of LNAPL in a borehole. Or around an old dry-cleaning operation where they had underground tanks of PCE. There's some huge plumes of that in central Toronto, particularly in the high K sands of the old beachfront south of Bloor-Danforth.

Either way though - it's generally not a preclusion to redevelopment, as long as the land has enough value (and in Toronto it almost always has enough value).

I thought streetcars go to and from the barns in service unlike with a bus. So for example, if a 512 streetcar goes from Lesslie you could actually take it from there to st Clair
When does this happen and how does it get up to st clair? Sounds like a cool ride to catch from leslie barns.

Back