News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Art is an important component of major station upgrades (including the Easier Access and Second Exit construction improvement projects). It helps bring beauty to public infrastructure. The Pre-Qualification of artists for TTC’s Public Art competition is now open for submissions! The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is looking to pre-qualify Artists to create integrated artworks for seven subway stations that are part of TTC’s Easier Access & Second Exit Project: Bay, Castle Frank, Christie, Donlands, Keele, Lansdowne, and Spadina Stations. The competition closes on May 6, 2021. I would strongly encourage any interested Artists to review the bid document here.

Light Canopy by Sean Martindale

Photo of a light canopy
Photo of a light canopy

Light Canopy is an animated lighting system set into the ceiling above the stairwell at King Station’s western entrance. As pedestrians pass under, they will experience the feeling of being under sun-dappled trees, with beams reflecting and passing through foliage. The dynamic, animated band of light is made up of an array of programmed LEDs spanning the underside of a diffusing semi-translucent surface. Light Canopy will be programmed to follow natural circadian light cycles. The artwork will be continually changing; a piece that the public will get to experience in new ways each time they see it.

This is a "MUST" not only for TTC, but "ALL" systems.

Then There Should Be A Bill Requiring TTC and All Systems To Have More Washrooms For The Public Than There Is Now.

Been on buses and streetcars where the driver had to take a washroom break as well getting food and drink while on route to to the lack of time at the end or nothing to get there. When nature calls, you need to go ASP requiring finding a place to go.

Been caught a number of times having to go with nothing around or 15-20 minutes to a subway station with a washroom while on the subway.

Bill 27 Inclusion of Washroom Access for Toronto Transit Commission Drivers

So....

I'm looking to see if the TTC agenda for next week's meeting (still listed as such on the City website) was up........

The link from the City's calendar was broken, of course, because no one told the Clerk's office that the url had changed..............sigh........

So I go over to the TTC site, where I find the meeting has been rescheduled to Nov 29th, apparently..........

Clicking through.......

I see this:

1636557161771.png

Really.........the TTC in a nutshell..............

Last edited:
So....

I'm looking to see if the TTC agenda for next week's meeting (still listed as such on the City website) was up........

The link from the City's calendar was broken, of course, because on one told the Clerk's office that the url had changed..............sigh........

So I go over to the TTC site, where I find the meeting has been rescheduled to Nov 29th, apparently..........

Clicking through.......

I see this:

View attachment 362015

Really.........the TTC in a nutshell..............
Called a 'short-turn" I think!

TTC Service Changes eff. November 21st are out...............

Its slash and burn!
:mad:

Service cuts left, right and centre.

Completely unacceptable!

Plus

1637019036870.png

Attachments

• 1637018941717.png
    1637018941717.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 82

Its slash and burn!

Completely unacceptable!

Plus

View attachment 363144
They'll probably attribute this due to "lack of resources because of recent government policies". Sure some of that may be true, but not to the degree to warrant this amount of service cutting. Leary claimed that routes which have suitable alternatives (ie: 97 Yonge) would be the ones that would see the cuts. I wouldnt describes routes such as the 41, 49, 50, 68, and 89 to name a few as being those routes with suitable alternatives.

If you didnt know before, Leary is a completely useless CEO. Since he's come on, I cant think of 1 useful policy he's implemented asides from speeding up subway infrastructure work due to Covid.

If you didnt know before, Leary is a completely useless CEO. Since he's come on, I cant think of 1 useful policy he's implemented asides from speeding up subway infrastructure work due to Covid.

I knew.

Leary turfed alot of Byford's people.........

He added bloat to alot of schedules to mostly eliminate short-turns, but actually make service worse.

He's not nearly as accessible as Byford was .....nor as competent.

He's evasive...........and his reputation (less than stellar) preceded him......

They'll probably attribute this due to "lack of resources because of recent government policies". Sure some of that may be true, but not to the degree to warrant this amount of service cutting.
I think you can now expect other City departments to be in the same boat, and respond the same way.
The agenda for the next election is being set here: austerity vs. the status quo. Tory will definitely be on the "austerity" side. He probably can win on that too.

Its slash and burn!

Completely unacceptable!

Plus

View attachment 363144
Temporary, my ass.

I have a book about transit case studies from about 2012, which describes the TTC as failing but salvageable, but also warns that we could become a case study of how to ruin a transit system. It's coming to pass, fully.

Watch these cuts become permanent, and then become justification for more cuts.

Sheesh. (Rant over)

I hope I'm wrong.

I think you can now expect other City departments to be in the same boat, and respond the same way.
The agenda for the next election is being set here: austerity vs. the status quo. Tory will definitely be on the "austerity" side. He probably can win on that too.
Status Quo and Austerity are pretty much the 2 things that Tory stands for. It's not like they're polar opposites in his case.

While taking the subway tonight, couldn’t help but wonder how much worse next week will be with service reduction. Even at 4pm it was very busy on the BD line and this is just a normal Thursday.

And as I write this, there’s subway suspension between York Mills and Finch and shuttle buses running. It’s going to be a gong show in the not so distant future.

Oh a a kicker, the service suspension isn’t even being announced frequently over the PA system not being displayed on the platform screens.

Back