News   Jul 16, 2024
 354     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 456     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I assume that the new management system will not require route supervisors.

If I renenber the details from the Transit City Bus Plan correctly (almost 10 years ago!!!), no they will not require route supervisors. But route supervisors can be used on busier routes. They'll be equipped with tablet computers to see the position of all the vehicles.

Not all TTC meetings are going to be held at City Hall next year.

They will be in various x council chambers across the city and need to check locations monthly.

Also if you look, you'll see ramps being constructed where there aren't currently stops, but where the stops will be moved to.

I was wondering why there were ramps with the new tactile pads just randomly placed on the street.

If one wants to park next to Terminal 1 at Pearson Airport, its $5 / 30 minutes, $90 daily maximum. Other lots have it at $3 / 20 minutes, daily $15 - $28. See link for other rates.

Not counting the fuel used to get there and back. Hopefully, without a collision that would influence the insurance.

Last edited:
If one wants to park next to Terminal 1 at Pearson Airport, its $5 / 30 minutes, $90 daily maximum. Other lots have it at $3 / 20 minutes, daily $15 - $28. See link for other rates.
When the cheap "value lot" hit $70 a week, and you couldn't get coupons any more, I started taking the subway and bus! Other than very late a night arrivals when I grab a taxi.

TTC will start a Pilot project running trains with one crew member starting with Sheppard in 2015.

When new fare gates are finally install at all subway stations, fare collectors will be relocated to other duties.

TTC is hoping to be 100% Presto by the end of 2017, but up to Metrolinx. Until the system is 100% Presto, current fare media will stay in place. All current fleet being retain until after 2020 will have Presto on them.

TTC has 300 less management than 5 years ago along with various changes that any past Chief General Manger of TTC who not recognizes it when they ran the system.

More weekend closure are going to take place to replace outside rails and roadbed.

ATO of BD will follow YUS after it completed.

Outside help is being brought in to help TTC how to Keep Spadina extension on schedule and budget along with other things.

All TR's will have outside speakers by the end of 2015 as they weren't part of the original order nor an added on at this time.

The ramps in sidewalks are located where the doors are for the new cars that will have ramps.

So, I'm assuming Sheppard doesn't have ATO. They'll have one person both driving & operating the doors? If that can be done.. why hasn't it been done all along?

Weren't we supposed to have all door boarding on all surface vehicles, excessive streetcar stops taken out and 2 hour transfers (and a few other itmes) by Jan 1st? This is really disappointing to say the least.

So, I'm assuming Sheppard doesn't have ATO. They'll have one person both driving & operating the doors? If that can be done.. why hasn't it been done all along?

I believe if works on 4 Sheppard Line because the line exclusively uses side platforms. On the T1 train sets, the driver cab is only adjacent to the platform in stations with a side platform configuration.

This wouldn't work on Line 1 or Line 2 because the drivers would need to walk to the other side of the train when closing doors. That would be impractical.

I believe if works on 4 Sheppard Line because the line exclusively uses side platforms. On the T1 train sets, the driver cab is only adjacent to the platform in stations with a side platform configuration.
The Sheppard Line actually has centre platforms at all stations except Sheppard-Yonge. Not surprising you misremembered though since no one actually rides the Sheppard line.

EDIT: I just realized why they might be doing this at Sheppard first. Since the platform is/can be on the same side as the driver at Yonge and Don Mills, and no one really gets on/off at Bayview, Bessarion, and Leslie, the driver probably won't bother checking at those stops and just close the doors.

Last edited:
Damn you're right. I feel remarkably stupid right now. I don't even know how I made that error. In my defence, it's been two years since I've been down there. But at least I remembered that all the stations shared the same platform configuration ;)

Now I'm really curious how the TTC plans to work this.

Weren't we supposed to have all door boarding on all surface vehicles, excessive streetcar stops taken out and 2 hour transfers (and a few other itmes) by Jan 1st? This is really disappointing to say the least.
Its a budget item as you need more enforcers to do it. Until it is in the budget or other funds come from somewhere else, The CEO cannot make that change like he wants to do. It would be nice to happen, but you need funds to cover lost or hiring of staff. I believe you need 100 new enforcers to go all doors on streetcars alone and it will take time to hire them as well train them. I expect POP will be roll out line by line as there are enough enforcers on hand.

As for bus routes, that still down the road and only apply to various route as far as I know at this time. 29 would be the first one. Last night, the driver was getting riders to use the other 2 doors as we were pack as sardines with the front backup to the door. We left people at stops as he wasn't opening the front doors when people wanted off.

As for Sheppard, you don't need ATO at all to run one man crews, let alone the system.

Before TTC can run one man crews, they have to talk to 113 about doing this first, to get them on-board as it changing manpower setup. The union wants to make sure no one will loose their job over this change.

Another change taking place within TTC from top to bottom, is a rewriting of job description to match the changing technology as well what is really require to do today work.

Last edited:

Back