News   Jul 15, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 633     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I don't want to sound like I want to get rid of marathons or other street races, but I wish there was a route that could be used that didn't affect every east-west bus and streetcar through downtown Toronto, including the 300 Bloor-Danforth.

There is a route for that. It's the Gardiner/DVP run.

There is a route for that. It's the Gardiner/DVP run.

Again, pretty much every big city - even the boring ones - have a marathon through the streets of their city, including through their city centre. They don't push them onto freeways to accommodate public transit. If you don't like having that get in the way even on a Sunday morning, big city life probably isn't for you.

I've participated in many run and cycle events and am a huge fan. However, having lived for many years in an area that is impacted by these events, serious consideration needs to be given to how many are allowed. This year there were road closures and TTC diversions on more weekends than not; at one point there were 4 in a row that closed the same residential streets on 4 consecutive Sundays.

Sigh.

I live in a big city. Maybe I want to take transit to get to those places.

I agree with your main idea here but If the marathon didn't impact the 300 Bloor Danforth route, and the subway itself was open later, what's the issue?

why do they need to put out a notice when it's all over the local news that the marathon is on this weekend?

Is this a serious post?

I live in a big city. Maybe I want to take transit to get to those places.

So take the subway, which is open an hour earlier than the Marathon starts. Or take the buses & streetcars that still go there. The only problem is if you're trying to get through the marathon route, but again, subways are unaffected, surface routes are only affected right when the marathon is passing through, and most people don't have anywhere pressing to go on a Sunday morning.

The subway starts at 8 am, the marathon started at 8:45 am, so 45 minutes not an hour. It really would be nice if it started earlier on Sundays as it isn't helpful for getting to the start point in good time.

So take the subway, which is open an hour earlier than the Marathon starts. Or take the buses & streetcars that still go there. The only problem is if you're trying to get through the marathon route, but again, subways are unaffected, surface routes are only affected right when the marathon is passing through, and most people don't have anywhere pressing to go on a Sunday morning.

It sounds like you have no idea what it's like to use transit when there's a marathon. I took the Bathurst night bus southbound that morning since I had an early train to catch at Exhibition GO. Even though I went extremely early, at a time when the route was not supposed to have been affected according to the TTC service advisory, my bus still got short turned at King. At 6:20am. Even though there were no road closures or any evidence of a major event about to take place along the rest of the bus route, this still happened. But thanks anyway for all the helpful advice which turned out to be wrong.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like I want to get rid of marathons or other street races, but I wish there was a route that could be used that didn't affect every east-west bus and streetcar through downtown Toronto, including the 300 Bloor-Danforth.

The Toronto Marathon in May does not affect Bloor/Danforth, College/Carlton, Dundas or Queen. The route goes along Alymer/Rosedale Valley Road/Bayview from Yonge (north of Davenport) to River Street, passing under the 300, 505, 506, and 501 routes.

With John Tory's demands for TTC budget cuts, cuts, and more cuts, what does one expect?

However, the funding came with strings attached — it can only be spent on projects scheduled to be complete by March 31, 2019,and a maximum of 40 per cent of the money can be spent in the final year of the program.

Council has identified 87 projects to spend the money on, the majority of which are for the TTC. They include subway track maintenance, upgrades to TTC stations, design and construction of rail yards, and the purchase of nearly 800 new buses. The money must be matched by municipal spending...

They really ought to dump it all into ensuring that ECT gets finished in time or better early.... no excuses for an additional 121M to pay for extra shifts

Maybe you should read the story to find out exactly what they can and can't spend it on before commenting?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They really ought to dump it all into ensuring that ECT gets finished in time or better early.... no excuses for an additional 121M to pay for extra shifts
Not a TTC project.

Getting more buses from another supplier would work.

How about getting the overhead converted ASP as part of that money?

What about using some money to speed up the Queensway and Humber Loop project?

How about doing the EA to get 512 to Scarlett Rd??

Back