News   Jul 16, 2024
 175     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 931     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Artificial turf is the best compromise between natural grass and concrete.

Best compromise between natural grass and concrete is a hollow turf paver (literally offering both grass and concrete). Wondering why we've yet to see these used.

Grass_paver_paving.jpg

Artificial turf is the best compromise between natural grass and concrete.
Only thing with this idea is that you'll have NIMBY's banging on the doors of City Hall complaining about the negative health impacts which stem from the fumes that are emitted from the warm weather.

Also don't forget about the drainage problems artificial grass would have, especially in the winter time.

There have been hundreds of posts on real grass ROW or artificial turf ROW or rows with partial grass etc etc - in the Queens Quay and St Clair threads in particular I think. The problem with the ROWs we have is that (certainly on St Clair) they are not wide enough for emergency vehicles or replacement buses so they COULD be grass but they aren't. I don't see the TTC or the City changing their minds about this. We may need a Fantasy ROW thread :->

There have been hundreds of posts on real grass ROW or artificial turf ROW or rows with partial grass etc etc - in the Queens Quay and St Clair threads in particular I think. The problem with the ROWs we have is that (certainly on St Clair) they are not wide enough for emergency vehicles or replacement buses so they COULD be grass but they aren't. I don't see the TTC or the City changing their minds about this. We may need a Fantasy ROW thread :->
It;s not the roads department standing in the way of it it's Emergency services who think that a streetcar right of way is good place for emergency vehicles.

Interesting observation. Ever since the media started fanning the flames of the slow 501 and fast bus - I'm convinced the TTC is padding the bus schedule. Haven't taken the bus once where the guy didn't wait a few mins at stops and took a long break at Roncy. Guess that won't show up in Munro's expert analysis.

Interesting observation. Ever since the media started fanning the flames of the slow 501 and fast bus - I'm convinced the TTC is padding the bus schedule. Haven't taken the bus once where the guy didn't wait a few mins at stops and took a long break at Roncy. Guess that won't show up in Munro's expert analysis.
yes, it must be that the TTC is purposefully sabotaging its own operations. That must be the answer.

yes, it must be that the TTC is purposefully sabotaging its own operations. That must be the answer.
Not purposely sabotaging - doing what they do best - smoke and mirroring the ignorant riders.

Can't have the 'crappy' bus outdo the backbone of the TTC, the lumbering, slow, streetcar! Don't think for one second I consider the TTC 'above' such things. They've shown themselves as a completely self satisfied organization doing things the 'archaic' way.

the simple answer can never be correct, no, it must be some sort of conspiracy of the TTC purposefully sabotaging operations. Listen to yourself.

Buffer times are part of surface transit operations. It happens everywhere and anywhere, especially in congested areas. Its no different with streetcars, which regularly sit and wait for a light to change or sit for a few minutes. I have it happen to me in both buses and streetcars.2

Traffic is way worse on Queen now than before because there are 3 buses for every streetcar that was there previously. This makes it even worse, since travel times are more unreliable and need more buffer time. It just doesn't work. I've avoided the 501 all summer for it wherever possible because the service is so poor. I can't imagine what King would be like on bus operations - it would probably start to look like Ottawa in rush hours with lines and lines of buses down the street.

TTC worker compensated for lost wages after being arrested, suspended
On July 28, 2014, TTC employee Tyson Hu took home $5,060 in cash and $34,407 in tokens, tickets, and passes. Coincidentally, Durham Regional Police raided Hu’s home he next day, seizing drugs and the TTC property.

A fare collector who took home $40,000 in TTC funds and then lost it in a drug raid has been awarded compensation from the transit agency after he challenged his suspension from the job.

The case is a bizarre three-year saga involving marijuana, police, and TTC tokens. During that time, transit employee Tyson Hu was arrested, suspended without pay for more than a year, reinstated and finally awarded months of back pay for some of the time he was wasn’t allowed to work.

In March, an arbitrator ruled on the grievance the TTC workers’ union filed on Hu’s behalf. The details of this story are taken from that ruling, which was based on a statement of facts filed by the TTC and Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113. Through the union, Hu declined to comment on the case.
The trouble began just after 2 p.m. on July 28, 2014, when Hu, a Scarborough resident who had worked as a fare collector since 2011, finished his shift at Lawrence station.

According to agency policy, fare collectors are supposed to lock all money and fare media they have in their possession — which is known as a fund — in a secure place on TTC property at the end of every shift.

Instead, Hu took the $5,060.20 in cash and $34,407.70 in tokens, tickets, and passes in his fund home with him.

In what appears to have been a coincidence, early the next morning the Durham Regional Police executed a search warrant at Hu’s home as part of a major drug bust launched with the Toronto police dubbed Project Bermuda. The police seized various items in the raid, including hashish, marijuana and the TTC fund.

Hu was held in custody for several hours, and released the same day. He was charged with “various offences,” according to the arbitration ruling.

According to TTC spokesperson Brad Ross, taking thousands of dollars worth of cash and fare media home “can be a fireable offence, but usually only when it’s connected to theft.”

“When the money is taken home and returned without consequence, we still take action, but it is considered a procedural violation and provided none of our money is lost, we use progressive discipline,” he said.

In Hu’s case, he couldn’t return the fund because it had been confiscated by the police. When he came back to work a few days after his arrest, a TTC supervisor asked him to produce the fund for an audit. When he was unable to do so, the TTC suspended him without pay.
In the arbitration, Local 113 argued that TTC should have allowed Hu to back to work sooner because the agency was aware that the fund was in police custody. The union also said he should be “fully compensated” for the loss of pay and benefits during the time when he should have been allowed to work.

The TTC countered that it had offered to reinstate Hu if he agreed to certain conditions, but he refused and therefore wasn’t entitled to compensation.

The offer of reinstatement came in November 2014, more than three months after Hu was suspended. The TTC said he could come back to work if he agreed to certain terms, including taking a drug test before restarting the job, and submitting to unannounced tests thereafter.

In his decision, Shime wrote that Hu had committed “a significant breach of his duties and responsibilities as a collector” and should be subject to “significant discipline.”

“Individual collectors cannot go off on a frolic of their own . . . with the trust funds that they have in their care,” he wrote.
The two parties reached a settlement on July 12, the terms of which are confidential. Hu remains employed in the TTC’s collectors division but isn’t allowed to handle money or fare media, according to the agency.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ost-wages-after-being-arrested-suspended.html

I am not sure how or why taking thousands of dollars worth of fares home without authorization shouldn't be a fireable offense by default, period.
Agreed -- that seems really weird to me. However, if those are the TTC rules, then I'm not sure the employee shouldn't be compensated for the way he was treated.

Yikes! TTC employees make themselves look worse and worse everyday, in comparison to other city employees.

10 TTC employees charged in connection to multimillion-dollar benefits scam, police say

Ten Toronto Transit Commission employees have been charged in relation to a multi-million dollar benefits fraud scam, Toronto police say.

More to come

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

If the TTC's cash handling system is so loose that situations arise where money cannot be secured on site..... then someone much higher up the food chain than the fare collector needs to be sacked, immediately.

- Paul

Probably the result of an ossified system with few consequences for slack performance (due to union protection and poor management).

Back