News   Jul 16, 2024
 175     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 314     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

From June CEO Report:

Agreement has been reached with senior Metrolinx/PRESTO management to enable the 26 stations still operating with turnstiles to be converted to new style fare gates by the end of this year. Cost allocation for this work will be subject to arbitration, but I was very keen to ensure that every single gate across the subway was converted to new technology this calendar year.

Young Mr Ford's motion reads, in part.

"Once the various projects that are requiring removing streetcars from Queen Street are completed, we should temporarily defer reintroduction of streetcar service for a brief period of time. This would to allow a wholesome study of public transportation on this corridor, to determine which mode of transportation offers better service given the unique qualities of Toronto and Queen Street." I would expect a study of this kind to be 'wholesome" (wholesome: adjective. ``good for you, and likely to improve your life either physically, morally, or emotionally.`)

Young Mr Ford's motion reads, in part.

"Once the various projects that are requiring removing streetcars from Queen Street are completed, we should temporarily defer reintroduction of streetcar service for a brief period of time. This would to allow a wholesome study of public transportation on this corridor, to determine which mode of transportation offers better service given the unique qualities of Toronto and Queen Street." I would expect a study of this kind to be 'wholesome" (wholesome: adjective. ``good for you, and likely to improve your life either physically, morally, or emotionally.`)

Unlike!:(

So looking at all this... the beaches will lose the premium express bus with no replacement planned and someone wants to replace the streetcars with the sardine cans of buses? Joy.. hope both those fail, and fail epicly.

Sorry gang. I ride the 501 out here in the west end very often. The bus service has been Waaaaay better than the streetcar. Even with the street all torn up!

More reliable, faster, get a seat more often. Drivers go as fast as traffic allows, versus streetcars that never hurried.

The streetcar *ought* to be the better way, but it isn't run as it should be. I'm not looking forward to all the work being finished. Even with the transfer at Roncy.

Just my opinion, but I hope the media go out and interview actual riders instead of transit advocates. It will be a different story.

- Paul

Sorry gang. I ride the 501 out here in the west end very often. The bus service has been Waaaaay better than the streetcar. Even with the street all torn up!

Is the replacement bus service a 1 to 1 on vehicles or seat count?

Drivers go as fast as traffic allows, versus streetcars that never hurried.

This is an interesting observation. It implies the schedule (does one exist?) isn't being enforced; drivers normally get penalized for being early.

Of course, I strongly prefer headway based service for anything with frequencies under 15 minutes but I understand why management/board prefers a schedule (overtime mostly).

This is an interesting observation. It implies the schedule (does one exist?) isn't being enforced; drivers normally get penalized for being early.

It's entirely possible that the buses are behind schedule and the drivers are being zippy to catch up. But I suspect it's more that TTC management has told the drivers "customers are annoyed that the service is on shuttle and please do what you can to compensate". The Roncy-Park Lawn velocity (my most frequent ride) is much faster by bus.
The end of route timing and behaviour is very different - the buses tend to have longer layovers, there may be 2 or 3 at Long Branch just waiting for their departure slot.
I have never had to wait long for a bus - again, unlike the street cars where the gaps between vehicles could be 20 mins or more, longer if some that arrived were short turning at Roncy.

- Paul

In total, 65 buses are replacing 27 streetcars from the Neville Loop in the east end to the Long Branch loop in Etobicoke. Which means the buses are much more expensive because they have to use more drivers and more fuel. From link.

At least, they're air-conditioned.

More reliable, faster, get a seat more often. Drivers go as fast as traffic allows, versus streetcars that never hurried.

The streetcar *ought* to be the better way, but it isn't run as it should be. I'm not looking forward to all the work being finished. Even with the transfer at Roncy.

Just my opinion, but I hope the media go out and interview actual riders instead of transit advocates. It will be a different story.

- Paul
Why is this? Other than the fact that the frequency is greater which is an obvious improvement, why do streetcars dawdle so?

- Paul

And I catch the bus in the Beaches and its been standing only at times vs seats avail on the streetcar. Nice thing is they get so packed its skipping stops in old Toronto, Riverside and sometimes Leslieville resulting in quicker times to downtown.

Back