News   Jul 15, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 514     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I'm surprised that people here aren't more concerned about this. It sounds like it could be detrimental to Queen Street. I understand that it has to happen, but this could devastate retail and restaurants all along Queen. Or am I overly concerned?

It will be interesting to see how many people divert to King. And will they stay on King after the reconstruction is done (and the King transit mall opens at the same time).

I'm surprised that people here aren't more concerned about this. It sounds like it could be detrimental to Queen Street. I understand that it has to happen, but this could devastate retail and restaurants all along Queen. Or am I overly concerned?
What will certainly be a problem on Queen will be road and sidewalk work in front of the stores and bars but getting it done as fast as possible will certainly mitigate this. As you say "it has to happen".

There are no fuel gauges on buses. Some of those buses you see "disabled" at the side of roads, could be because they ran out of fuel. They forgot to fill up in the morning, as they were supposed to each day. With 65 buses needed on the 501, I would expect to see more buses run out of fuel because of the slow traffic congestion burning up their fuel.

Aside from what we all know about the differences between streetcar and bus, I think the TTC should take the opportunity really do a comparison study between the two modes.

Mainly for informational purposes. Run time, short turns, other metrics. Whatever.

Instead of the usual 36 streetcars on the 501 Queen, they'll need 65 buses (almost double). I see $$$$

201405-011144.jpg

Last edited:
65 buses to replace a mix of 36 ALRVs and CLRVs? That is going to be sardine can conditions. And if the TTC is not running service along queen - is the Russel Carhouse going to be not used? Or are people going to watch out of service streetcars go by while packed buses go by?

65 buses to replace a mix of 36 ALRVs and CLRVs? That is going to be sardine can conditions. And if the TTC is not running service along queen - is the Russel Carhouse going to be not used? Or are people going to watch out of service streetcars go by while packed buses go by?
The Queen cars are just going to be transferred to 511 (currently buses) and 504 (replacing tripper buses).

I'll expect almost everyone will exit the buses through the front doors, ignoring the center doors, of the buses, stretching out the dwell times and creating worse bunching.
If your talking about the buses for the 501 queen they will do all door boarding just like with streetcars. Anytime abus replaces a streetcar it does all door boarding too. Peola aren't supposed to be exiting from the front of the bus unless they have a need to do it (wheelchair ECV/ Scooter , stroller etc.) otherwise you are supposed to exit at the rear doors of a bus.

If your talking about the buses for the 501 queen they will do all door boarding just like with streetcars. Anytime abus replaces a streetcar it does all door boarding too. Peola aren't supposed to be exiting from the front of the bus unless they have a need to do it (wheelchair ECV/ Scooter , stroller etc.) otherwise you are supposed to exit at the rear doors of a bus.
There is a big difference between theory and practice. It will certainly take buses longer to load and unload as people (and even peola) tend NOT to board buses by rear door.

From the Star

Acquittal overturned in impaired driving case involving TTC streetcar tunnel

different-incident.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x724.jpg

“He said that he simply made an understandable mistake in driving down the streetcar tunnel. He testified that the entrance and the signs were confusing,” according to an appeal court decision.

Multiple do not enter signs are the most confusing thing in the world. What a waste of public resources - first, through the incident itself, second, through the trial and third through the retrial.

AoD

I haven't driven into the tunnel yet, but I have ended up where I didn't belong on Queens Quay. I have some sympathy regarding the signage. The road layout, and the signage down there, is somehow non-standard, so it seems to take longer than normal to process.

Normal prudence says a driver should slow down and be sure where they are going - but stopping to figure things out is also unsafe and discourteous. So one tends to keep the speed up and make snap judgements.

Someone needs to take a fresh look at the street, using the mental model of a driver who has never been there before. (Having said that, the do not enter signs at the tunnel mouth are fairly straightforward.)

- Paul

Multiple do not enter signs are the most confusing thing in the world. What a waste of public resources - first, through the incident itself, second, through the trial and third through the retrial.

AoD

An affirmative arrow indicating "go here" is far more helpful to the unfamiliar driver than a "do not go here" sign - the latter freezes the motorist while they figure out what to do, whereas the former gives them immediate information about what to do.

- Paul

I haven't driven into the tunnel yet, but I have ended up where I didn't belong on Queens Quay. I have some sympathy regarding the signage. The road layout, and the signage down there, is somehow non-standard, so it seems to take longer than normal to process.

Normal prudence says a driver should slow down and be sure where they are going - but stopping to figure things out is also unsafe and discourteous. So one tends to keep the speed up and make snap judgements.

Someone needs to take a fresh look at the street, using the mental model of a driver who has never been there before. (Having said that, the do not enter signs at the tunnel mouth are fairly straightforward.)

- Paul

Lead into the tunnel at QQ and York:

upload_2017-3-2_9-27-25.png

Midblock overhead signage:

upload_2017-3-2_9-29-18.png

At some point, the driver have to take the responsibility for their failures.

An affirmative arrow indicating "go here" is far more helpful to the unfamiliar driver than a "do not go here" sign - the latter freezes the motorist while they figure out what to do, whereas the former gives them immediate information about what to do.

- Paul

The driver didn't freeze - he went ahead all the way to QQ station. The Do Not Enter sign is universal - road tested. It's about as basic as the Stop sign. And the driver abandoned the car after it was heavily damaged - if the start of that process doesn't tell you something bad is happening, one really shouldn't be driving.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-2_9-27-25.png
    upload_2017-3-2_9-27-25.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 322
  • upload_2017-3-2_9-29-18.png
    upload_2017-3-2_9-29-18.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:
If your talking about the buses for the 501 queen they will do all door boarding just like with streetcars.
Like they are supposed to do. It's unusual for a 504 driver to open the rear doors. On occasions when I've complained to the driver, because I was at the rear door, they either look at you funny, or tell you they are a bus, not a streetcar.

Anytime abus replaces a streetcar it does all door boarding too.
Are you observing that? The only time I really see it consistently, is when people start entering the rear, before the door has had a time to close.

Back