News   Jul 16, 2024
 339     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 627     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Two questions out of curiosity:

1. Why are subway closures mainly scheduled for the summer? Wouldn't it make more sense to schedule them in the winter when (I assume) there's less weekend traffic, since people don't go out as much and fewer tourists visit when it's cold?

2. Why is ATC being enabled on University-Spadina first? Isn't it more urgently needed on Yonge?
Because TTC has more buses and drivers when schools routes are cut back. As for the summer than winter, its a lot nicer in the summer to wait for a bus than the winter for riders. Also, TTC can do more work in the summer than the winter since they don't have to worry about the weather or have to cancel work during the winter because of poor weather.

As for U-S being done first is the fact the extension will be ATO ready when it opens this year end(?). I stand to be corrected, but ATO will be in place south of Bloor on Yonge to Vaughan when the final work is done on U-S.

New paint job.

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.29.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.29.44 AM.png

https://twitter.com/chrisjamesdrew/status/820356874574983169

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.29.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.29.44 AM.png
    564.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.29.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.29.36 AM.png
    601 KB · Views: 254
Definitely much better, though I wish there were fewer things cluttering up the lines.

I also guess they didn't manage to figure out how to terminate the design at the back of the bus. Can't fault them though, the back is really quite jumbled up.

If anything, these buses will be far easier to spot!

Considering that the alrvs are being
Definitely much better, though I wish there were fewer things cluttering up the lines.

I also guess they didn't manage to figure out how to terminate the design at the back of the bus. Can't fault them though, the back is really quite jumbled up.

Considering that the alrvs are being given a life extension including a new paint job they really missed an opportunity to repaint them to match the current colours...

Wilson is close to not one but two highways. IIRC, the Wilson Heights exit of the Allen Road was built mainly to get people from the 401 into the parking lot at what was then a subway terminus (Downsview was added 20 years later with the expectation of connecting to the Sheppard subway)

With the exception that there are areas built in to allow for its eventual expansion there, the construction of Downsview Station had absolutely nothing to do with the Sheppard Subway.

Downsview was built as the first step in eventually connecting the tops of the Yonge and Spadina lines to form a giant loop.

Two questions out of curiosity:

1. Why are subway closures mainly scheduled for the summer? Wouldn't it make more sense to schedule them in the winter when (I assume) there's less weekend traffic, since people don't go out as much and fewer tourists visit when it's cold?

Ridership is considerably lower in the summer than the winter.

2. Why is ATC being enabled on University-Spadina first? Isn't it more urgently needed on Yonge?

Basically - simplicity's sake. There is now a rats nest of wiring that needs to be undone at the bottom end of the Yonge Line from the aborted upgraded signalling project involving Ansaldo STS. They can work on that while other crews work on installing the ATC/ATO systems on the Spadina Line, where none of that earlier work had been done.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

New paint job.
Whoa! I had to do a click back to the page for a double-take, I thought they were an English or Scottish bus line.

I have to wonder: Why not do away with the white as well? What purpose does it serve except to make the paint job more difficult and expensive?

I think you just answered my question above: Perhaps the white strips are reflective? Visually, I'd be just as happy to see them that red colour all over.

Last edited:
Interestingly, Montreal are having problems with their new subway trains. They are from Alstom, not Bombardier.

See: http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...-parked-after-inconclusive-preliminary-report
The Société de transport de Montréal is keeping its $2.4-billion trains in the garage after a preliminary report turned up no conclusive reason for Saturday’s major breakdown, which shut down the métro network for half the day.

All 12 of the new Azur trains were taken out of service Saturday, after several trains and part of a track were damaged at the Du Collège métro station just before 3 p.m., forcing the Orange Line to shut down until the following morning. The contact shoes, near the train’s wheels, which keep the métro cars electrified were damaged when they came into contact with a switcher on the track. On Monday, STM general manager Luc Tremblay said it was not clear if the problem was caused by the trains or the tracks.

However, on Wednesday, STM chairman Philippe Schnobb said the evidence from the preliminary examination suggests the new Azur trains are not to blame for the problem. However, he said the trains will remain off line until the STM finds the cause, mostly to prevent them from being damaged again.

So I've had some recent thoughts about 511 bathurst being replaced by buses and I think i comes down to there reasons. Number 1 is obvious the shortage of streetcars but I think 2 and 3 are tied closely together . They currently need to have shuttle buses into the exhibition because the work on the loop there is taking longer then it was scheduled for It wa supposed to be open by now, but has apparently been delayed to march now.The third one could be because they are running mostly Flexes on 509 and Fleet loop isn't built to have multiple routes terminating at it, Exhibition has switches like Dundas West and Broadview do to allow streetcars from the two lines to pass each other.

So I've had some recent thoughts about 511 bathurst being replaced by buses and I think i comes down to there reasons. Number 1 is obvious the shortage of streetcars but I think 2 and 3 are tied closely together . They currently need to have shuttle buses into the exhibition because the work on the loop there is taking longer then it was scheduled for It wa supposed to be open by now, but has apparently been delayed to march now.The third one could be because they are running mostly Flexes on 509 and Fleet loop isn't built to have multiple routes terminating at it, Exhibition has switches like Dundas West and Broadview do to allow streetcars from the two lines to pass each other.

Make no mistake, the sole reason is a shortage of streetcars. While your second and third reasons are silver linings, streetcars offer more capacity and have a lower operating cost, plus the TTC has a bus shortage so service had to be cut on various routes around the city to provide these buses. At the end of the day, the TTC would never have removed streetcars from 511 if they had more of them.

Back