News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Skipping the left turn is exactly what I had in mind with the higher priority at minor intersections. At major intersections I just meant "ordinary" priority given that they don't have any currently.
Thanks for the link...it's a fun read.
Just for fun on my way in this morning, I watched a few light cycles at College & Spadina. Typically the left-turn phase delays a southbound Spadina streetcar by about 18 seconds, and sometimes that's just for one vehicle with one driver to clear the intersection. Oddly enough, they haven't put up any left turn restrictions for College eastbound to Spadina northbound. This results in major delays to the College Streetcar. Given that left turns are prohibited most of the day from College St westbound to Spadina southbound, this struck me as a bit strange. Did they just forget to put the sign up after the intersection reconstruction?

Given that left turns are prohibited most of the day from College St westbound to Spadina southbound, this struck me as a bit strange. Did they just forget to put the sign up after the intersection reconstruction?

I travel through the area frequently and unless my memory is severely failing me, since as long ago as 2011 that turn restriction has never existed. Agreed that it's ridiculous, though--I've waited a long time on an eastbound college streetcar with 1 or 2 cars getting through per signal ahead of us before.

Screen shot 2016-01-15 at 12.36.12 PM.png

CYxYB-BWsAQmGOm.jpg_large.jpg

Attachments

• CYxYB-BWsAQmGOm.jpg_large.jpg
    CYxYB-BWsAQmGOm.jpg_large.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 567
  • Screen shot 2016-01-15 at 12.36.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-15 at 12.36.12 PM.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 509
TTC should try branding or even painting the express buses a different colour.
There's a TTC report floating around there somewhere that states that they are looking into that, and they will report back on the issue some time this year.

If they actually end up going through with the recommendations, dont expect anything special (based on the way they've "rebranded" the airport express and Scarborough RT). Expect some odd kind of red wrapping with giant EXPRESS lettering on it (i'm purely speculating of course).

They could just try different colour buses like Mississauga does.
They have Blue for express buses, but you will find them on local runs these days.

The same can be said for the White or Orange buses that can be found on express routes to the point you catch a local when you only see white and orange buses behind it not knowing they are express until they past you.

If you are going to use a colour for express buses stick to it, otherwise will confused riders.

Buses have never been tied to specific routes. Painting express busses is a bad idea. Means that those busses can never be used elsewhere, if needed.
Specific routes are tied to bus garages and buses used for those bus garages can be used for different routes specified for a particular bus garage.

Specific routes are tied to bus garages and buses used for those bus garages can be used for different routes specified for a particular bus garage.

Specific routes are tied to specific garages on a month-by-month basis, yes. But there is also nothing preventing the TTC from "borrowing" buses from the "wrong" garage in a pinch - and in fact, it happens every day. And it's also not uncommon to see routes change the garages they are based out of.

Right now the only subfleet with any differentiation for a route in the TTC is for the Airport Rocket, and even then it is not uncommon to see one of the 12 airport buses in service elsewhere, or a "regular" bus in service on the Rocket.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back