News   Jul 19, 2024
 788     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.5K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Today on the 509 Harbourfront, I saw two streetcar operators gonging their gongs like mad to say good morning to each other. I found the whole experience to be very traumatizing. TTC operators should not be making loud noises or enjoying themselves while doing their jobs. I think it's time for me to send Byford a strongly worded letter.

She's at it again:
Its a shame she disabled the comments for the video, because I was getting ready to lambaste her. If people have a google account, just go and dislike the video. Or better yet, paste a link to this thread to her as soon as she posts another video to let her know how stupid and ridiculous she sounds.

Better yet, why does this bother you so much?

Saying that she lives next to the rail corridor and shouldn't complain isn't exactly a great criticism of her complaint. Do the drivers have an actual reason (ie. for safety) for ringing the bell so often? If not, then her complaint seems like a legitimate noise complaint. I can certainly see how it would be a nuisance.

But I suppose it is just easier to cry NIMBY and blindly make fun of something rather than analyze the situation, eh?

^Well to be honest I can relate to a certain degree, as I live right next door to the 501 and I hear streetcars using their gongs for various reasons several times everyday (many of which relate to cars passing streetcars when they are stopped and about to open doors). I've also seen them use their gongs when people wave at the drivers (this is especially true with the new LFLRVs). This is what I have grown accustomed to expect as I live next to a busy streetcar line.

Should I go complain to the TTC and tell them I expect streetcar drivers not to use their gongs as well? Not only do I not think that would be fair, I think it would be incredibly short-sighted.

Is there a reason why streetcars gong their gongs when they pass each other? I figure it must be for safety reason.
Yeah, pretty much. So that people aren't walking behind one streetcar right into the path of another.

Whatever the reason is, I don't see buses doing that.

Buses don't pass each other side by side on most streets (ie from the left lanes) so there's no reason to.

TTCconnect app (version 1.0) is now available on iTunes.

You can now (allegedly) purchase E-Tickets on a TTC website. See link and link.

A new E-Ticketing option is now available to make taking the TTC easier for customers. You can now purchase either a Single Day Pass or Group Pass using the TTCconnect app on your iOS or Android device. Click here to purchase tickets online.

You can pre-purchase passes, and must activate the pass before use. Once activated, Single Day Passes and Group Passes are valid from the date activated until 5:30 a.m. the next day. Pass restrictions are the same as the paper Single Day / Group Passes:

That's kinda funny, because I thought she sounded a bit like Janeane Garofalo when she was reading out the train numbers in a deadpan tone.

I don't want to support her outright, but I think she does have a point. Obviously it's not the regular loud train noises that are bothersome (e.g the clickety clacking of the rails - which seems louder than the horn), but the irregularity of the high-pitched horn blasts. Dull roars from a highway, trains, rails are predictable and regular. Tooting horns with interspersed toots only when kids are on a bridge...not so much. I personally don't mind loud noises, but I absolutely hate when these noises come on all of a sudden (e.g a neighbour's dog barking, or another neighbour's motion-activated garden pest alarm).

But you can barely hear the tooting over the sound of the track noise ...

Im curious to know what others think about the new seating arrangements on the Nova (40 footers). Are any of you fans of facing the rear of the bus, not knowing where you're going?

Im curious to know what others think about the new seating arrangements on the Nova (40 footers). Are any of you fans of facing the rear of the bus, not knowing where you're going?
I don't use rear facing seats on any vehicle. Nausea inducing for me.

Back